1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

Wet Weather Pants rating required

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Kiwirich, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    NorthFace do rain pants with full length zips on either leg which work very well. Never leaked for me on mtb or motor bike, but don't let them near the hot exhaust. Fold up very small to carry all the time on the bike. Their jacket has also been excellent.
  2. bull600

bull600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've tried quite a few variations of over pants including the PVC workman type, hiking pants, ski pants etc. Most are fine once you get them on but by far the biggest pain is actually getting them over your boots. If you have a big foot this excludes most of them as the zips on the side are rarely long enough to get your foot through easily. The old time style plastic ski over pants had a long boot zip but these have now been superseded by all in one designs that don't have the same zip.

I've a pair of the Outdoor Research Rampart Pants that have already been mentioned and they are quite good. However, I got a pair of Naxsax pants when they first came out and they have been excellent. More heavy duty than the OR with the same full length zip entry (you don't need to have them fully undone as in the video) Not sure how readily available they are these days though.

ozcruiser likes this.
  3. diabolik37

diabolik37 Deadly Gubba

Oddometer:
    Are you saying that human skin doesn't exist? It breathe and it seem to be waterproof... :dunno

Have you actually ever own or used a pair of "new" expensive Goretex boots?

Have you actually ever watched a video of people expeditions to the Poles or up to Mt Everest?

Gore-Tex XCR and H2NO fabrics are the materials of choice... Do you know why?

I think we can safely assume that your answer is no to all the above...

Something to read:

https://www.paddypallin.com.au/blog/all-about-waterproof-fabrics/

http://www.yachtingworld.com/gear-reviews/5-sailing-boots-test-109068

And this one by Andrew Skurka has your theory backed up...

https://andrewskurka.com/2015/why-im-hard-on-gore-tex-the-king-of-hype-tm/

Mind you, other than the continuous criticism about the cost of Goretex, Andrew fails to explain why in its own "personal experience" Goretex did not work... (sound familiar? :-))

You should use whatever material is working for you, but please, you are about 49 years too late for a negative advertisement about Goretex...
    GodSilla likes this.
  4. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    Yep. And double it if your boots happen to be muddy.

For walking/cycling I have found a pair that have a full length separable zipper .. one on each side!!
    Marmot Pre clip full clip pants https://www.marmot.com/precip-full-zip-pant/41260.html
    $us 100 .. the material is too light for a motorcycle.
    And the zippers are not water resistant either ... but for getting over boots these things rock.

Oh ... you go on to say ...
    Possibly out of stock ..$130 .. mediums or longs look to be the 'sizing'
    I'd suggest contacting them for your sizing requirements.. Ozie made .. must be good.

https://www.naxsax.net/
  5. diabolik37

diabolik37 Deadly Gubba

Oddometer:
    The website need a little attention.. :-)

• PRODUCT INFO
      I'm a product detail. I'm a great place to add more information about your product such as sizing, material, care and cleaning instructions. This is also a great space to write what makes this product special and how your customers can benefit from this item. Buyers like to know what they’re getting before they purchase, so give them as much information as possible so they can buy with confidence and certainty.

I was hoping for some more info on the actual pants...
  6. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    These worked really well...from Adelaide to Gawler..then started to show signs of weakness....then one leg fell off at Burra....no big deal...they only cost $3.75. 06082010265.jpg 06082010268.jpg
  7. Dukehunt

Dukehunt Lost in Translation Nev 2.0 Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Geez @UncleGra I see you spare no expense on your Wet Weather pants, @3.75 each, over how many times it rains and they get worn it's probably good economy..:photog
  8. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    That's a fine demonstration of the old adage that you get what you pay for, Unc.

I just read the kathmandu cattledog that came inside the weekend newspaper. After having a really good laugh at their "bargains", I noticed that their goretex ski pants are on sale, reduced from an eye-watering $899.95 to somewhere around $630.
    I got some of these many years ago on special for less than $200, Goretex 2 "Extreme" fabric and very heavy-duty, I got them for their side-entry zips specifically for bike use, and they work. They work great, actually. A mate in Canberra picked up an unused set at a garage sale for $20, he loves them for the side zips and their functionality - and the price he paid.
    Side-zip pants are really good to get on, no removing all your boots and such on the side of the road. I can recommend them, just not at the current prices.
    UncleGra, AUSSIEADV and Dukehunt like this.
  9. tomo8r

tomo8r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got the high end ALDI ski pants the other week. $100. Happy with them so far.
    GodSilla likes this.
  10. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
    I got aldi ski pants as well. For $50 they are very warm and very dry.
    Normal thin over pants recommendation would be make sure there is enough room in the crotch as that's where it's the tightest sitting on a bike seat so that's where they will leak first. My dri riders are dry, surprisingly.
  11. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Aldi are doing their packdownable waterproof overpants (and jackets) for $15 next Saturday. They are only rated at 3000mm though, so I wouldn't expect to stay dry for long in them.
  12. diabolik37

diabolik37 Deadly Gubba

Oddometer:
    3000mm is not really waterproof...

https://www.snowbiz.com.au/waterproof-guide-ski-snowboard
  13. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a great link.

They say a Goretex waterproof rating of up to 5000mm will withstand light rain, which has been my experience with light goretex jackets I've owned. Amazing in light rain, but useless in heavy stuff. For hiking I've switched to non-breathable gear that I wear it the way you'd use an umbrella — take it off the instant the rain stops.

It's not until you get to "20,000mm+" resistant goretex that they talk about being able to withstand heavy rain and under very high pressure. Rain drops hitting the jacket at 100km/h is a huge amount of pressure. I think you'll be very hard pressed to find anything other than boots with a rating as high as that.

The other issues is all the openings. If you wear a two piece set of pants/jacket, then the wind drives a lot of water up your waist under the jacket, where a cotton shirt picks it up like a sponge and spreads it half way up your chest. The same thing happens at the neck and ankles and wrists. If your jacket is not very breathable (especially 20,000mm+ rated goretex) then it will block too much wind for your shirt to dry out.

I prefer to ride with no rain protection at all in heavy rain, that way the wind will dry everything out quickly. Usually only my socks stay damp this way. For light rain, then I'll get out the non-breathable gear I purchased for hiking. It'll leave me with just a few small wet spots. Usually the inner liner that comes with a cheap mesh jacket is just as good, but I find good quality hiking gear is both more effective, lighter, and usually has some way to fold it up nicely into a pouch (mine can be stuffed inside out into one of the pockets, which has a double sided zipper so you can operate the zip inside out).

I also have a one piece dririder rain suit that isn't breathable, has strong elastic wrists/ankles/neck, and three layers of plastic flap attached with velcro over the zip... but I found in heavy rain it will only keep me dry if I tighten the neck and ankles to the point it's hard to breath and my hands go numb. I've worn it about 5 times and regretted it every time... though if it's cold (and not raining) then it does a great job keeping me warm (with the neck/wrist not tightened fully).

If your bike has fairing and a windscreen that protects you from direct rain at speed, that would probably help a lot I suppose.
    diabolik37 likes this.
  14. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

:clap:lol3 at only AUD 3.75 ... in the miles for smiles :ricky return stakes... we have a winner !!!! :thumbup
    UncleGra likes this.
  15. Dukehunt

Dukehunt Lost in Translation Nev 2.0 Super Moderator

Oddometer:
  16. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm I have a Goretex jacket that is 100% waterproof over hours. Brilliant over the high country. It doesn’t matter what I have done, where I have been or for how long it has never let in water. Same with my 5,000mmski pants.
    Dukehunt likes this.
  17. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    everybody loves a winner..:ilmostro
    ...and that was only day 1 of a 10000 km ride
    diabolik37 and Dukehunt like this.
  18. diabolik37

diabolik37 Deadly Gubba

Oddometer:
    Same trip at 9000 km...

[​IMG]
    BergDonk likes this.
  19. LivingdeadCamo

LivingdeadCamo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Emptied a whole whiskey barrel? Solid.
  20. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    You're wasting your breath, trust me..............

My Goretex stuff also never fails, ever. Others have testified to the same. It keeps water out and allows perspiration to escape. What's not to like?