Wet Weather Pants rating required

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Kiwirich, Apr 15, 2018.

1. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    Didn't you know... UncleGra is a Rumanian rum runner from the Carpathian highlands...

... his operativ alias is Terry Zpantzov. :D :1drink
    Dukehunt and UncleGra like this.
  2. Dave Ward

Dave Ward Long timer

Oddometer:

:fpalm
    Dukehunt likes this.
  3. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    I'm a Goretex fan boy but:

My KLIM stuff keeps me dry on my V-Strom.

On my KTM 640, the wind blows the "moisture" up under the jacket at the front. A couple of hours, and I'm soaked from the waist up.
  4. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    That would be a fault of the garment design, not the membrane itself. I've had leakage in at the closures in my Rally 2 suit in truly torrential rain, the sleeve ends and the neck, and a tiny bit through the zip, but the actual membrane worked. It was BMW's fault for not designing them better. My BMW StreetGuard suit lets nothing in, but it is a lot better designed regarding weatherproofing.
    Kiwirich likes this.
  5. kumakahn

kumakahn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The BMW one-piece suit is my choice. Highly visible, cozy, and no leaks because it doesn’t pretend to be “breathable.” Really, how much sweat do we generate sitting on a bike going down the road in the rain? Plus, I have never had anything Gore actually “breathe,” and I own several pieces with it. The only membrane that truly “breathes” and is also waterproof is eVent. Thanks to Gore’s monopolistic practices, it is hard to find in anything nowadays. I own several backpacking pieces with eVent, and it is superior to Goretex in every way.
    Cruz likes this.
  6. Dee Cee

Dee Cee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I have put my Northface spray jacket and Andys full side zip up wet weather trousers to the test.

Very happy, for a start, they both roll up smaller than my Tiger Angel Elements Trousers, cost half the price, weigh about the same and bloody work. Spent all day in the rain and serious cold wind in Vic on the way to the OCR at Mt Dare. It is surprising how much cold and wind these can keep out. A little extra too is that all my dedicated motor cycle wet weather jackets never have a hood, this spray jacket does and you can sit around the camp fire in the rain and be comfortable, yes we camp in the rain and cold down here in Vic, under sufferance, but some times you just get caught out.

My personal experience with Gortex has had mixed results so I will stick to this method.
    Cruz likes this.
  7. jackbyo

jackbyo @sunnysideup_mc

Oddometer:
    Does anyone use any over-boots or over-gloves?
  8. gunnabuild1

gunnabuild1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    When you live in the sub tropics, you sweat 8 months of the year by just breathing, so a large amount of gear just changes the moisture source, rain or sweat, you get to pick.
  9. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Somehow I don't think the Goretex mob have been getting away with lying for the last 40 years or so about breathability. Folks seem to struggle with the concept that goretex make different grades of their material, some breathes better than others. If they were lying I'm pretty sure someone would have sued them by now.

That eVent stuff is a goretex knock-off by the way. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

I own 2 BMW suits, with Goretex liners in one and Goretex bonded to the outer in the other, Both breathe. Both are waterproof. The one with the liner has let water in around the cuffs and neck in torrential rain, that's called "ingress", which is NOT leaking through the membrane itself.

I don't get it. Simply mention "goretex" and the membrane-trolls come out from everywhere. It's been around for nearly 2 generations now, and if it didn't work you'd think we'd ALL know about it. I own the stuff myself, multiple items, ALL of which perform exactly as advertised. The company gives a very large written guarantee with money back. Aus. consumer law gives you rights of exchange or refund. It gets used for Everest expeditions and the Antarctic, where you can't afford to have clothing fail. So why are folks complaining their goretex "doesn't keep water out, doesn't breathe, none of it has ever worked ever", and all this other suspect shite when a full refund or exchange is available and the ACCC will rip them a new one if the stuff doesn't work as advertised? How many of these complaints have been made to the Goretex corporation and answered? I'll tell you - none - because it's easier to be an opinionated whinger than actually DO something for yourself. And wearing the stuff in the wrong climate is just plain misuse by the user.

Goretex rocks.
    Dukehunt and Toy Rolex like this.
  10. Toy Rolex

Toy Rolex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Many years back I walked into a Anaconda store looking for a light jacket to wear over my waterproof jackets as I was going on a very very wet 3 day ride.

When I told the sales guy what I wanted he sold me a Rainbird jacket, he claimed it was good down to 18000 and would work at 120kph.

Some of the other Rainbird stuff was not rated nearly as well but he had all that information in his head, when I asked why it was not a the label he just shrugged his shoulders.

The jacket he sold me has worked perfectly and I would always ask more questions before I made another purchase.

Remember the old days when dad would hang a canvas bag on the front of the car so we would have cool water ? I'm reminded of this when I look at jackets with waterproof membranes.
    GodSilla and Dukehunt like this.
  11. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    My Klim Goretex stuff continue to keep me dry inside, including this afternoon's short dump.
    watagans300exc, GodSilla and Dukehunt like this.
  12. tomo8r

tomo8r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do.

Just cheap overboots from RJays or eBay.

I've got one pair of gloves that have their own nylon over gloves.

I've also got British Army surplus goretex mitten over gloves.

The overgloves do take away dexterity, and can be a pain to get on and get on right, but if you're riding long enough in the rain to justify using them I found they work great.
  13. gavmac

gavmac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got some delightful pink! XL heavy duty washing up gloves that I wear over either thin leather gloves or some older Draggin Jeans kevlar gloves. Keeps hands dry.
    jackbyo likes this.
  14. Toy Rolex

Toy Rolex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do wear over gloves but better than over gloves is wool glove liners, they will not keep you dry but they go on and off real easy and they make putting wet riding gloves on & off a breeze.
  15. Canary

Canary Long timer

Oddometer:
    So do I and they work brilliantly :D
    gavmac likes this.
  16. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Not overgloves exactly, but a pair of Oxford handlebar muff thingies, they keep the wind off and the water mainly out, and I have been riding up around Nimmitabel and Cooma in winter while wearing full mesh summer gloves no problems, the lack of wind chill makes it easy.
    jackbyo and Cruz like this.
  17. watagans300exc

watagans300exc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed Steve.
    My Rukka 3 layer laminated Gortex outer jacket (Same as Klim) has kept me bone dry in 8hrs of torrential rain, so has my similar construction Aerostich overpants and recent acquisition of Klim Badlands Pro Gortex pants.
    Next purchase will be Gortex Adv boots.
    BergDonk likes this.
  18. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    Only problem with Goretex boots is when they fill when fording, they don't drain in use.
    watagans300exc likes this.
  19. shinyribs

shinyribs doesn't care

Oddometer:
    Dainese's D-Dry material is NOT waterproof. It does fine for a little shower here or there, but seeps through pretty easily if in the rain longer or traveling at higher rate of speed.
  20. jackbyo

jackbyo @sunnysideup_mc

Oddometer: