We've finally done it! KTM1190 Lane splitting panniers!

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by concussionman, Apr 24, 2019.

1. concussionman

concussionman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This has been on my to do list for way too long, but this weekend I finally found the motivation to go all the way with it.

Problem: ALL pannier racks available for my majestic beast are way too wide, WAY TOO WIDE. The overall width of the touratech panniers I see everyone rocking is 42"! That's just plain silly and unsafe.

Solution: Force clearance in my usual reckless manner. I am not afraid to sick the angle grinder on my baby.

The breakthrough happened by addressing the main problem first. the muffler. We've all seen people make pie cuts out of the exhaust but no need.
    1 ktm.jpg
    Well I was gritting my teeth the whole time but there it is, the point of no return. now I need a new bracket. better get on with it.
    2 ktm.jpg
    ALL RIGHT, now that's just shitty enough to let everyone know I do my own work, SPOT ON! 1/4" steel for the bracket, and yes it is rubber mounted thank you very much, give me some credit. now we can get on to the fun stuff.
    3 ktm.jpg
    went with hard mounts and I manged to keep the width of both racks at the same width as the plastic over it. the forward lean of the hoop buys me and extra inch or two in width. I put a lot of thought to the tie in points and forces that may be applied to the rack in the event of a hard or light crash. I believe this is the best solution considering weight and number of mounting points, and should be stronger than any commercially available racks. These are all the pieces tacked up.
    4 ktm.jpg
    Finish welding complete and this gives you some sort of idea the clearances we're dealing with
    5 ktm.jpg
    ooh baby.
    6 ktm.jpg
    7 ktm.jpg
    Mission success! took me just over three real days, all components are made from 3/4" OD steel with .095" wall thickness. I had some warping during the finish welding and had to correct it with a hammer, and let me tell you these racks are STRONG. .065" wall probably would have sufficed. I plan to get the racks powder coated KTM orange.
    Overall width of the bare racks mounted is an unbelievable 12 1/2" .with the panniers I chose mounted came out to exactly 28"! for reference the handlebars are 33" or 35" with stock brush guards. so yes I will be able to safely lane split with panniers
    I was fully prepared to make a heat shield for the right pannier but after running at idle for 30 min, it seems the exhaust just misses the pannier and temp was just above room temperature.
    clearances are 1/2" from the side plastics and the carbon exhaust tip
    Project was completed without modifying any KTM factory parts.

I am entertaining the idea of selling these racks completed in a more professional manner. wings shorty exhaust should be compatible with very limited modifications and no new tune needed, other exhausts would need to be sent in to me or modified to my specifications. pricing and turn around time would be competitive and with a choice of different boxes and powder coat options. quick detach and pannier lock solutions would be made available. PM me for details if you are interested.
    houlster, S.Auerteig, CO303 and 27 others like this.
  2. Saltboxlad

Saltboxlad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I dont do panniers, period, but I bow to your fabrication skills, good job. Also, luv the Cougar, 67?
    3rdgeargrndrr and concussionman like this.
  3. concussionman

concussionman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yup 67'! Good eye, belongs to fellow inmate B_C_Ries who's trying to sell it
  4. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well very nice work! Couldnt agree with you more about the “wide glide” being rediculous. I have found that the muffler doesnt need to be tilted so sharply upward and coming down slightly in the rear allows for better options IMHO. (Not into the mud as you say) Again great job! Cheers!
    concussionman likes this.
  5. kuyohtay

kuyohtay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brilliant work. If you fab a couple of weld fixtures, would be a breeze to keep price lower. The horizontal tubing for mount points is the real genius actually, very practical.

How do you cut the tube ends for the framing? Just a V and fill the joint?

I’m a machining engineer, not a welder, you made look like I could do it?

Absolutely brilliant.

Ride safe, Ed
  6. deksawyer

deksawyer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is that a v100 or v200 as top box?
  7. RCR001

RCR001 MOTO CHASER Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very nice design and work ! I would be interested in a setup like this !
  8. concussionman

concussionman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    v100, very small but I only ended up with 12" of clearance between the two lids. the conversion shows it as 6.5 liters capacity inside :rofl
    but thats cool, I pack light
  9. spova

spova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there an alternate bracket to lower the exhaust by just loosening the band clamp and changing the bracket?
  10. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not that I know of. I made an adapter and also changed the muffler along with a bracket. Takes a bit of work bit works good for me.
  11. concussionman

concussionman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I could have sworn Wings made a kit with bracket and proper bent adapter to do it, but I can't find it anywhere now.
    the issue is that the ktm flange and clamp connected exhaust is crazy solid, it almost doesn't need a bracket with a light muffler. any altering the angle would mean altering the pipe or muffler in some way
    Oldschoolrocker likes this.
  12. GoodOleBoy

GoodOleBoy n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks great. I'd be interested as well.
  13. E-luke

E-luke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks great! I may be interest also. My Tusk racks and boxes are new, but ohhhhhh sooooo wiiiiide...

I’ll be following.
  14. deksawyer

deksawyer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great. I use a Peli Storm 2075. 8 litres apparently. Big enough for day to day. We cant get the Vault series in the UK, as they're gun cases! :jack

I added 4 loops of webbing to the case and can now strap a bag on top as well. The Autokicker lives in the Storm case.

[​IMG]IMG_20190404_114047 by deksawyer, on Flickr

D.
  15. kuyohtay

kuyohtay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also have the Tusk racks. Left side only for now. I put a KRIEGA OS-2 plate and a Pelican 1430. I made (4x) 30mm spacers with O-Rings so I could mount the box strong and dry. There is room on the back of the Tusk for the 1gal RotoPAX (water) and my Scott Oiler System. For longer Trips I can mount a 15-20L dry bag up top there with a couple of Rok-Straps.

Already invested in the right side too. Put the Wings shorty on 2wks ago, got another OS-2 plate and another R/P 1gal fuel. I have a top plate (KTM) and can spread bags around there and on the rightside now as well. Prefer the dry bags and ONE sealed case lockable for personals.

If “concussionman” had this idea before I invested, I’d go for it! Too much invested at this point, but a very brilliant tight package design.

Go for it guys, get this guy in business.

Ed
  16. concussionman

concussionman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the support!
  17. GoodOleBoy

GoodOleBoy n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    How difficult would the racks be to take off and on the bike?
  18. dezertpilot

dezertpilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very nice
  19. Its not Ginger!

Its not Ginger! Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is what everyone wants from hard luggage - yet KTM think we all want our bikes to be as wide as a car for some reason.

For trips with the Mrs I have set of Givi Trekker Outback which are very nice and roomy - but a whopping 112cm wide!

For solo trips I have the smaller Holans which are about the same width as the bars which is OK, but KTM should be able to easily beat the capacity and space with the advantage of producing a model specific pannier.
    cookieGB likes this.
  20. Gordon Bennett

Gordon Bennett Just you wait

Oddometer:
    You've not heard of Jesse panniers?