Whale watching Gulf of St. Lawrence

Discussion in 'Canada' started by simbaboy, Oct 27, 2014.

1. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello Friends,
    I am thinking more likely to do this in June--warmer and apparently more whales in The Gulf of St. Lawrence.
    I like the ideas I have seen and I hope all of you can join.
    Thanks
    Simba

p.s I will either be on a KLR650 or a Burgman 650.
  2. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    Hey Simba - Happy New Year!

I like the June option better.
    If you're taking the KLR, I'll ride my XR650L.
    If you decide on the Burgman, I'll ride my Concours.

Either one will be fun!
  3. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    I will finalize my plans (May VS June---most likely June) and bike --Most likely it will be the KLR650.

Then, interested riders can start throwing out potential routes.

My preliminary plan would be to leave Mid Michigan area Saturday Morning and be back home no later than the following Thursday.

I will have the specific dates soon.

Thanks to you all for advice, offers of accommodations and most importantly for joining in. I am a hotel kind of guy but riders can decide appropriate accommodations for themselves.

Thanks,
    Simba
  4. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    Hello Friends,

I know it will still be somewhat cooler temps and fewer whales in The St. Lawrence Seaway but I can only be off during the week of Saturday May 9th-Thursday May 14th 2015.

I will be riding my KLR650 and will have heated gear.

Here is to a great experience and I really hope many of you can join. :clap

my direct email is [email protected] or you can also PM me.

Thanks,
    Simba
  5. LSGiant

LSGiant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those dates work for me as far as I can tell. I will be riding the Connie it is to far for the DRZ. I need to check some vacations schedules and such but put me down as a strong maybe.
  6. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    Excellent.
    Please stay in touch.
    Simba
  7. 2brnut2b

2brnut2b Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Too bad I'm gonna be in vacation at Port-Au-Persil on 16-17-18 May ...would have liked to help you discover this beautiful place...
  8. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    I appreciate it. There is something about riding in areas that you love; Everybody becomes a friend even if you have never met them.
    If any of your plans change, please join in.

Thanks
    Simba
  9. 2brnut2b

2brnut2b Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Simba, as soon as you know when you're gonna be in Quebec City area, let me know, I would really like to meet you guys for a day ride !
  10. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    Absolutely will do.
    Soon i am going to need some specific route recommendations to avoid the super slabs. But no real rush as currently in the midst of planning a Moab trip. The thread is here 'Moab Spring 2015' http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1024718

Thanks,
    Simba
  11. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    A buddy who might be joining me is going to be on Concours--so will need to avoid dirt. Also, I would prefer to avoid the major highways going through the big cities. It would be great to experience rural Canadian towns.

Thanks,
    Simba

on a ferry trying not to get sick,
    [​IMG]
  12. Vikingtazz

Oddometer:
    Hey Simba - we'll need to decide if we're going around Montreal south side or north side.
    I lived and worked in Montreal for many years and I'm very much averse to riding a motorcyle through that city.
    Like you said - no hurry to decide at this point; there are many routes we can choose when the time gets closer.
  13. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    No rush to decide on specific route but I love riding through small towns in The USA and I am sure I would love it through small Canadian towns. I may need to learn how to oder coffee and pastry in French!
    Thanks,
    Simba
  14. Purdyman

Purdyman Purdyman

Oddometer:
    I did this trip a few years ago and went all the way to Natasuqan. All I can tell you is that rooms are VERY VERY scarce. We had a few days were we had to ride 16 hours and back track to find any place to stay. If you are camping you are good to go - but after riding as long as we did camping was not on my radar. There is not that much opportunity for fuel so be wise - if you see a gas stop of which there are not many - fill up. The language barrier was not a big deal until you got further north, then thankfully menus had pictures.

We did stay in Tadousac again be mindful of accommodations as June is tourist time and as such once again rooms were very few. Part of the problem is with so much building going on in the area from mining to new ports being rebuilt to accommodate the building and removal of resources from the area, most if not all rooms anywhere were booked by these parties. This may have changed in the past year or so but do book if you can.

The rooms were not cheap - in Tadousac I think we paid 155 for the night. but when on vacation - who cares :)

The roads were not so bad - a bit of frost heave every now and then as you get closer to the end. The scenery was very cool for sure.

Enjoy your trip. i hope this has helped a little
  15. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up re: reservations and hotels.
    Simba
  16. LSGiant

LSGiant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also thanks for the information. I can usually get 200 miles on the Connie especially if we are traveling at KLR speeds. Do you think I will have trouble finding fuel with that kind of range ?
  17. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    Hello Friends,

Even though May seems a long time out, I know it will be here before I know it and I would like to have some general idea as to recommended Route.

On the previous Pages of this thread I have gotten some advice. I would like to follow the gist of the advice and avoid major Highways--i really would like to experience small town Canadian experience.

I will cross the USA/Canadian border at Port Huron-Sarnia. After that I would like to take an efficient route that has hotels/motels and gas stations. As I might have a couple of friends on street bikes, the route will have to be paved.

I have a Garmin car GPS that allows BaseCamp created Routes to be loaded. If there is a GPS Guru who can help create a Route and send me the gpx file, I will really appreciate it.

The Plan is to leave home (ZIP 48820) on Saturday May 9th and hope to be back home no later than Friday May 15th.

Thanks In Advance and please send me an PM if you might want to join in for all or portions of the trip.

Thanks,
    Simba

Based on your feedback on this thread and avoiding the major cities:
    [​IMG]
  18. Vikingtazz

Oddometer:
  19. Vikingtazz

Oddometer:
  20. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    Excellent,
    Looks like we might have at least one Rider joining me as I start the Journey and then I hope to have more join in.
    Very nice and Thanks,
    Simba