Whale watching Gulf of St. Lawrence

Discussion in 'Canada' started by simbaboy, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    This is an option if you want to ride through a bit of the Adirondacks and Green Mountains of Vermont.

http://goo.gl/maps/8ShWR
  2. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
  3. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looked at those alternatives but I think distances and time required maybe more than what I have.

So far, the 'Southern Route' looks very promising. http://goo.gl/maps/taVY2

Imu
  4. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    Hello Friends,
    Please send me a PM or email at imu1@comcast.net
    I hope all of you and many more can join in.
    The month of May may be cool and wet but hey, it should be fun :clap
    Simba
  5. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    please send PM if you can join.
    I know , I know its only January. :rofl
    Simba
  6. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    :wave

Howdy Simba,

Thanks for sending me the link, I would have never found it, I've never wondered into the Canadian thread.

The trip looks like something epic and is well worth giving a hard look, now if my work schedule can make it happen....

Now I need to get back to the first page and follow this thread!

Thanks Simba, Sam
  7. ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb Gravel Is Good

Oddometer:
    I did the north and south shore last summer on my KLR. Whale watching in Tadousac is excellent. From there keep going east to Les Escoumins where there is a Ferry across to Trois Pistoles. Take Hwy 132 all along the river then swing north or south around Montreal and Bob's your uncle. You will NOT be disappointed with 132, it is awesome!
  8. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
    The weather will determine how much I get to do and see.
    I do have heated gear but prefer not to ride in the rain too much.
    Thanks and I hope many of you along the way can join in.
    Simba
  9. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    IMO route 116 between Montreal and Quebec City is not really a good alternative to 20. 116 is straight and flat with low speed limits and runs thru a ton of small cities with a lot of cops and minivans. because it runs sort of close to 20, that is where a lot of people live and drive.

I would either ride 132 if you want to take your time (youll have a view of the st-Lawrence river in areas) Or I would blast thru 20.

On 132 there will be more curves, less towns, less cops, more smiles.
  10. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    IF you plan on riding thru ''Le vieux quebec'' and you want to see the old town even if you are just riding thru it, I would suggest using the ferry between LĂ©vis an Quebec City on your way North rather than using the bridge.

The reason is that the ferry dumps you right into the heart of the old town and the fortifications, cobble streets etc...

You will also have a great view of the city of Quebec from the south shore are you are coming up to it. It is a great view into the city.

When you cross using the bridges you dont see the city at all, all you see is a highway with exits so the entrance into the old town is gradual and a lot less scenic.

[​IMG]
  11. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    Thank you jfman, I really appreciate the suggestions.
    It looks like I may need to bring my heated gear/rain suit during this ride. I am a lot more heat tolerant than cold tolerant.
    Thanks,
    Simba
  12. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Thanks to our Canadian brothers,this thread has become a wealth of valuable information !!!! I am taking notes.:D
  13. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    Our Canadian friends have been great with advice and have also given generous offers for accommodations.

I may join up with one of your Iron Butt rides.

I am still hoping to get a couple of rider friends to join up for this ADV ride.

Simba
  14. MICMERG

MICMERG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Simba, I think you have plenty of options on how to get there and back but here's the low down on Tadoussac. Definetly June rather than May.

First, the reason whales go to that area is that the Saguenay river was cut by glaciers and is over 500' deep. When it reaches the St-Laurence, depth goes up to around 100' very quickly so all the bottom nutrients from the bottom of the river are forced up to the surface making a real Buffet for the whales. Depending on the tides, you can see whales on the rock point in Tadoussac (POINTE TADOUSSAC) no more than 50' off shore.

[​IMG]

If you like camping, the above picture is taken from the camping right along the cliff - try to get a site right on the side.

Also, This side of the St-Laurence, between Tadoussac and the village of LES ESCOUMINS, has a steep drop off right on shore - it drops straight down to 100'. The whales patrol the shore - as close as 500' off shore - you can sit on the rocks and just watch them go by. For Blue whales you have to take a boat tour since they stay in the middle of the St-Lawrence.

For a huge thrill, take a kayak tour from the village of Grand Bergeronne and you will be able to see Fin whales and Minke whales sometimes just off the nose of you kayak

This is my kayak
    [​IMG]

Leaving Quebec city, 1 hour before Tadoussac, you can do a small detour to go see the PARC DES HAUTES GORGES near the village of Clermont. Its like the salt water Fjords you see pictures of from Norway only its a fresh water lake about 30 miles north of route 138

[​IMG]

Have a great trip and bring a disposable waterproof camera or a Go Pro :D
  15. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    I hope you can make one of the Iron Butt rides.They are both on a Saturday this year,which is nice.

I have been wanting to travel along the St.Lawrence into Quebec for a long time and it just might happen this year.I would like to hook up with you but May is too early for me.If I go this year,it will likely be June or July.
    How is the Whale viewing in July ?

After reading this thread,I have a feeling I will fall in love with the area up there when I do make it.Then I will have to make a journey up there every year.:lol3
  16. MICMERG

MICMERG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    whales are in the area early June to late August but best times are mid June to end of July
  17. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Ahhhh,July sounds perfect !!!:clap
  18. MICMERG

MICMERG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And if you're really lucky - it usually happens to us at least once per summer. Beluga whales are really curious.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    Wow--great pictures.

As I am planning my trip in May I may not see even one whale. But that is okay. For me the journey and attempt and meeting new friends is the main purpose. Also, looking forward to eating French Canadian foods. Tim Horton's ain't bad either!:rofl

Simba
  20. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    It looks like we have two riders from the US and maybe 1-2 from the Canadian side joining in for this trip.

For now, we will hope for the best in terms of weather. But I do expect some cold and wet days of riding. Heated and rain gear highly recommended.

Thanks,
    Simba