Whale watching Gulf of St. Lawrence

Discussion in 'Canada' started by simbaboy, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Rubberlegs

Rubberlegs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will deffinatly join you for the quebec city area/show you around.
  2. MICMERG

MICMERG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    MAN !!!!! This looks like an itinerary for Europeans that have no clue on the size of Canada and want to see the Rockies, Niagara Falls and the Nova Scotia by bus on a 1 week vacation :rofl

On Saturday, you have to get to Les Escoumins and have a stop at Cap-du-Bon-Desir to sit on the rocks and hopefully see some whales by just sitting on the rocks.

Sunday/Monday: If you plan on riding the Fjord and heading up to Saguenay, I would sleep in Tadoussac Saturday night to be able to easily do the 172 up to Saguenay and the 73 down to Quebec City.

Wish I could join you guys !!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hope you do. We are planning to spend 1 Day in QC to get a feel for the city. Most likely this will be Monday May 11th.

This will be a brief sampler. My family and I hope to spend many more days visiting the area in the future. Thanks for the hints.

Thanks,
    Simba
  4. Quick

Quick n00b

Oddometer:
    If you follow that route you will pass right next to my town when you get close to the ferry! :deal

Here is a pic of my bike and me on the Oka ferry in September 2014. :D

[​IMG]
  5. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    Scofff!! :umph

Quebecers and montrealers who know a real poutine will drive hours to the royaume saguenay just for a taste of poutine with fresh cheese curds from the fromagerie Boivin :lol3:yum

[​IMG]

I can see the fjord from my deck so this is my weekend ride.

I don't think one direction is particularly better than the other, but everyone always misses the Vieux-Chemin around Lac Otis that I prefer. I guess that part was too crazy so they built a straight bypass that everyone takes now. You have the little detours marked to Sainte-Rose-du-Nord and L'Anse-Saint-Jean which is good. There will likely be Boivin poutine for sale at either but you will ride past the actual Boivin fromagerie itself where you can get a little bag of fresh cheese curds for the road (you will look just like a local doing this) They also have a new Casse-croûte on the waterfront across from the new cruise ship dock in La Baie that you pass. How much poutine can you eat?

Definitely take the quiet twisty 381 instead of the new boring 175 highway everyone takes with all the cops! (depends where you start/finish the loop)

I hope the fjord and lakes are thawed by May :eek1 It's been a crazy winter
  6. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    Again, thanks to you all for contributing to my and my riding buddies anticipation for this journey.

The month of May cannot get here quick enough.

We will be making our hotel reservations soon. I hope the ones joining us do the same. We are thinking of making reservations just East of Quebec City.

Simba
  7. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    Itinerary:

Depart home May 8th AM.

Friday May 8th: Prescott, Ontario late PM. We will be staying the night with Vikingtazz (thanks)

Saturday May 9th: Late evening arrival into Eastern outskirts of Quebec City and 3-4 day stay at a hotel for Pawel and myself. We will be sharing the hotel costs.

Sunday, Monday May 9th and May 10th: Ride the Fjord Route and get a brief tour of QC.

Tuesday May 11th: Depart for home.

So far we have two riders from Michigan. We will depart separately from Michigan and meet up in Port Huron. After Customs we shall ride to meet Vikingtazz in Prescott. The next day we will depart Prescott and arrive at final destination around QC. We plan to spend the next two days riding around the area and head home on Tuesday.

I request anybody planning to join us send send me an email at imu1@comcast.net. This way riders can pair up to reduce hotel costs, if they wish.

Thanks and looking forward to meeting many of you. I am really an easy going person but do believe in keeping a schedule. It will be somewhat rushed to get to destination but once there I plan to be have a very easy going time. My riding partner from Michigan needs to get home on a fixed day while I have more flexibility. He and I will separate on Tuesday. I can spend another day in the area or take a much slower route back home going through small towns.

Thanks,
    Imu

Simba in Moab
    [​IMG]
  8. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    Hello Friends:

Reservations made in Quebec City (Best Western--'motorcycle friendly') for May 9th, 10th and 11th.

We will be riding Sunday May 10th and Monday May 11th. Our departure is set for Tuesday May 12th.

Our hope is to set one day for touring QC and the other day for riding to Saguenay and back taking our time. The better weather day will be for riding the Fjord Route and the other in QC.

I hope this gives you a general idea of the current plans.

Thanks,
    Simba
  9. NJ-Bill

NJ-Bill Life is good Supporter

Oddometer:
    I may have missed it but what type of bikes are you riding?
  10. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    Haha - you probably didn't miss it, since the plan has been evolving since the beginning.
    Originally Simba was going to ride his KLR and possibly hit some backroads through the area.
    Then his buddy confirmed to join the ride and it became a pavement only option since his friend is riding an older gen Concours.

I believe the current roster will be:
    Simba - Burgman
    Simba's friend - Connie
    Myself - Concours
    My dad - 1500 Vulcan
    My friend from MTL - CB400
    Rubberlegs - ?
    Others - ?
  11. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    Thanks Friend.
    My friend from Detroit area will be on a BMW RT.
    Most likely I will be on my Burgman 650. Since the schedule is fairly ambitious, the scooter is a lot easier to ride comfortably and offers a little more weather protection. Reading through the thread there may be a few more 'locals' joining us as we get closer to the Gulf.
    Thanks Vikingtazz for all your support.
    Simba
  12. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    Reservations are at Best Western City Center, QC.
    Arrival late evening Saturday May 9th.
    Ride in area and tour QC: Sunday May 10th and Monday May 11th.
    Most likely depart for home Tuesday May 12th.
    Thanks,
    Simba
  13. Piki42

Piki42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Simba, glad to see this take shape. I've sort of skulked away from anything motorcycle related during the off season as it leads to too much misery and longing but with the weather warming up, I'm starting to catch up on things.

I'll try to join you guys on the ride to QC. Unfortunately for me, I'm also taking a big chunk of time off in early June so convincing work to let me off for another week will be tricky. We'll see how things are at the office. For now, if I can make things work, I'll email you and let you know about my itinerary and hopefully we can all meet up somewhere along your adventure
  14. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    It would be great, if you can join us.
    Yes, email me as the time nears.
    I am headed to Moab tomorrow for some dual sport rides and WRT.
    Thanks,
    Simba
  15. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    OMG-- I posted all these pictures on the wrong thread. NOOOOOOOOOO.
    I am an idiot.
    Simba

EDIT: I NUKED ALL THE MOAB PICS HERE ON THIS THREAD.
  16. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    Haha - no worries.
    I never get tired of looking at Moab pics.
  17. simbaboy

Oddometer:
  18. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    Hello Friends,

I am getting excited about our trip to QC and The Gulf of St. Lawrence. A thread here about motorcyclists not being treated well in Quebec has me a little concerned, but not much. I think mature riders riding responsibly and obeying traffic laws should be okay. Only time will tell.

My friend Pawel and I will be in Prescott, Ontario on May 8th and then be joined by Vikingtazz onward.

Really looking forward to meeting you all and making new friends.

Simba
  19. bumper1871

bumper1871 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been riding for over 30 years. Before a trip to the US, I have been told many times, beware of the State Troopers or the municipal police. Nobody as ever even looked at me. In Canada I have never been arrested on a motorcycle. Don't worry.
  20. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I am really looking forward to this trip.
    I am hoping some of you who might be joining us speak French. Neither I nor Pawel speak it. The thought of starving scares me.:rofl

Simba