What’s a good camping pillow

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by lacofdfireman, Oct 27, 2019.

1. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking for a good camping pillow. I typically take my pillow from home but it’s way to big for Moto camping. I’ve tried an inflatable but hated it. Is there anything that’s still a decent size and still packable. I hated the inflatable because it was noisy on my ear as I’m a side sleeper. I like something that will support my head well. Any suggestions?
  2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trekology Ultralight Inflatable Camping Travel Pillow - ALUFT 2.0 Compressible, Compact, Comfortable, Ergonomic Inflating Pillows for Neck & Lumbar Support https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M7TBGJB/
  3. Sunosauno

Sunosauno Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1
    [​IMG]
  4. The Cone of Silence

The Cone of Silence Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I too am a side sleeper and find inflatable pillows noisy but I'm not about to take something larger with me so I typically put a folded t-shirt on top of it, which helps.
    rodrigzj likes this.
  5. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A Darien fleece jacket stows in its own built-in pillow-sized pouch. It’s not quite enough for me, but it’s pretty close. Also, lots of down jackets store the same way. When camping I often take my puffy jacket with me. Lastly, Klymit has a “free” pillow offer. Shipping is about $10. Mine arrives tomorrow so I can’t speak to it’s utility.
    https://offer.klymit.com/pillow-x-2...KT3YothcZzkaPwlfX-0wjgwKmlHg8-9MaAq-5EALw_wcB
  6. AZMtnRider

AZMtnRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used to use a US Army pillow I picked up somewhere. Non-inflatable and small-ish. Now I use an Exped down inflatable. Quiet and packs smaller. Stays taller when lying on it.
  7. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi

Inflatable pillows just like inflatable sleeping pads are made with a variety of different coverings, some are plusher much quieter than others..

I am fortunate to have a large REI with a big selection of inflatable pillows, to try before I made my choice.

My choice was the Sea to Summit Aeros Ultralight Large.

Good luck in your search

Scott
  8. kojack06

kojack06 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try placing your inflated pillow in an inexpensive pillow case. You can also place the pillow in a shirt THAN place it in the pillow case. Don't inflate it fully either.

The Nemo Fillo is a nice pillow .
    inspmark, DaleE and shrederscott like this.
  9. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the help. I think I’m going to head to REI when I get a chance and see what they have. Maybe I’ll get lucky there and find something.
  10. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Nemo Fillo

JR356
    goosecreek likes this.
  11. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also am a side sleeper.

I use a Klymit inflatable pillow, and then a real down pillow on of it. Gives me the height I need for my shoulder, but is totally quiet.

I put the down pillow in a compression sack. Packs down quite small.

The little bit of extra space it takes is more than made up for by a good night's sleep!
  12. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a small camping pillow sack. Keep my clothes in it. Stuff insulation layers in it for a pillow.
    Parrothead and MarkVeeMarkADV like this.
  13. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been using one of these for the last 4 years:
    [​IMG]

From Cocoon. Microfiber on one side. Doesn't make any noise and deflated it packs extremely tiny, weighs < 4oz. Cover is easily washable and quick drying. I have the one that is shaped for a mummy bag.
  14. rdw

rdw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1-- I've been doing the same thing for years. Homemade fleece pillow case that measures about 12in by 12in. With a velcro closure. Fill it full of clothes when I go to sleep.
    MarkVeeMarkADV likes this.
  15. GoatKiller

GoatKiller Mister Sarcasm!

Oddometer:
    I have always had good results using a stuff sack with my insulation layers stuffed in it. I have an old stuff sack that is fleece lined on the inside. Turn it inside out and it feels nice and is quiet.
    -E- and lithodave like this.
  16. glasswave

glasswave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use my goose down puffy coat stuffed into a small stuff sack. If it's really cold you can put the puffy over you inside your sleeping bag. At that point, I take my fleece which is rolled and held by two side clip nylon straps and use that. If you are at 5000 meters and wearing everything you've got, take off your moto seat and use that. Remember to put your boots and water bottle inside your bag as well. You probably won't sleep much at that altitude so just try and stay warm and wait for daylight.
    :vardy :waysad :vardy
    :lol3

https://www.rei.com/product/848429/redpoint-34-webbing-straps-with-side-release-buckles-package-of-2
  17. sleazy rider

sleazy rider przemądrzały dupek

Oddometer:
    kojack06 likes this.
  18. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
  19. Xsv

Xsv Going nowhere, fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    +2
    I took a normal pillow case and cut it down and sewed it to fit. I like it even better with a pillow case.
  20. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used a stuff sack for years. Never felt very good. Then I used this small pillow case. Finally I just bought one. Flip it inside out for clothes storage and packing. Nature kind of sticks to the fleece, so I try to keep it clean by having it inside out, till I actually sleep on it. When I car camp I bring a full size fancy neck pillow.
    [​IMG]
    https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Expo...ocphy=9032732&hvtargid=pla-306581011338&psc=1