What’s the difference...AMIE show or International MC show? Columbus OH

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by theshnizzle, Aug 17, 2019.

1. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven’t been to a AIME show but I have been to the international MC shows , Canada only,in past years. What’s the difference between the two.....if any? Is the AIME show similar to what the international show has become, rows of cheap leather, $30 helmets and tube socks?

Since the AIME show is in Columbus at the end of September I thought I might ride and check it out. It’s about a 8/9 hour ride and I’m thinking there might be vendors / products there that I won’t find in Canada.

Any decent campgrounds in the area? Not a KOA, to expensive.
  2. TripleTriples

TripleTriples Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sure hope the AIME show is better. The IMS has been awful since Progressive took over.
  3. Prubert

Prubert What am I doing HERE?

Oddometer:
    The AIM Expo is more of a true motorcycle show than the IMS. The show is actually 4 days long, the first 2 days are closed to the public and are industry only (Dealers). The vendors are there to get the dealers to stock their product for the first part of the show, then show it pubic to build demand on Sat & Sun.

This event was created to provide a US venue for MFGs to counter the EU shows (EICMA & Milan) to launch product and strut their stuff. They are trying to evolve it and it is moving around the country as they figure it out. Some of the MFGs bring new stuff but the EU shows are still the big draw for them.

They have a good demo presence at the AIM Expo, and that is available from Thurs - Sun. Get there early if you want a ride on something new/hot, the slots fill up quick. Most people don’t go to the demos on Thurs, so that is the best time to ride.

I would recommend going, you will get to see a lot of stuff and talk with the people that make it, not just a vendor that is trying to sell something or polish your glasses or chrome. I will say, last time they were in Columbus BMW was not there (Corporate).

Check the vendor listings on the website to see who will be going:
    https://s23.a2zinc.net/clients/MIC/AIME19/Public/exhibitors.aspx
  4. SlipChip

SlipChip Adventure Commuter

Oddometer:
    The AIME is a much better show than IMS. Word is that they will be sticking with Columbus in the future. Expect to see much less black leather and fringe and much more of the products that an adventure rider might be interested in...
  5. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMS shows are designed for the general public. AIMExpo is a hybrid. It’s part the old dealer-only Indy Dealer Show, and because the public is allowed in for a portion, part IMS show.
  6. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever Inactive User

Oddometer:
    I was at AIMExpo in Vegas last year. My impression is that it's a show aimed primarily at the trade, even though it's open to the public on the weekend. Nothing significant was introduced (big brands save that stuff for Intermot and EICMA), and the European brands were completely absent. I was there on press credentials, and the only significant news I recall was the sub-$10k pricing for the Ninja 650, just to give you an idea. On the upside, you could test ride bikes. The routine varied from one manufacturer to the next, but some would take you out for an hour or more, and you could get away with riding a Harley unsupervised. As for vendors, I don't recall much there that you can't get in Canada, apart from the odd gimmick.

The Toronto show is a totally different kettle of fish. Being in February, you can't ride anything. But the last time I went, every manufacturer was there, and with a good selection of bikes. And you could sit on anything you wanted, something that's not even possible at a lot of dealers'. I recommend it to anyone shopping for a bike for spring... there's probably no better opportunity to sit on the bikes you're considering back-to-back. For that, I thought it was better than AIMExpo.

If you want to ride to Cleveland and immerse yourself in bike culture, I hear that AMA Vintage Days is more than worth the trip.
  7. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well,when I went to the BMWMOA rally in Hamburg a couple years ago,there were several vendors there whom I wasnt familiar with or had never seen at a Canadian show.

I've read it to much hassle to bring product across the border for shows so many just don't showcase up here.
  8. Glenn247

Glenn247 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So what's the verdict on this show in Columbus? I'll be visiting my brother in Chicago around this time and he doubts it's worth 6 hour drive there and back?

Is it worth it? Can you spend two days at the show, Saturday and Sunday or is one day plenty? Are the ticket prices reasonable? Anyone going?
  9. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    I used to go when it was in Cincinnati - before Indy - and it is essentially a dealer trade show first and foremost. It is for dealer employees/owners to see the latest in tools, equipment, parts, and accessories. They had trouble in the past where too many vendors were giving passes to too many customers, who would eat up valuable time either BSing about stuff or trying to con vendors out of stuff for their kid that raced motocross. That would block some parts service manager from getting work done ordering, frequently only having one day to do this work. Even small dealers would be placing orders for easily several thousand dollars being unable to place that order due to customers chewing up vendor time.

Thus the new fairly tightly controlled two days for venders, then open to public. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the more industrial displays would pack up and leave, but the ones you would truly be interested in seeing would still be there. It was a great show, far better than the Cycle World show, because there were actual product displays of stuff you'd have a tough time seeing unless you stumbled over a rider with it on their bike. It shouldn't be all those people selling leathers, tee shirts, and helmets. It should be people showing a product to you, seldom with any stock to sell. You see it there buy it later. It's about seeing what is out there available. Not a motorcycle flea market with the same stuff booth to booth.

I'd go there in a heart beat to see what is out there in the industry. See things I wouldn't see or think of unless there. It is so much more than any other show when it comes to seeing what is available in the motorcycle industry, but you likely may not be able to buy stuff on site for the most part. You may be able to order some things, but many you will have to source when you go home.

I'd love to go, living about 25 miles away, but have a med thing going on that week end. Bummer!
    Bucho likes this.
  10. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    That helps answers my question that I won’t actually be able to buy stuff there.
  11. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't hurt to be prepared, you never know, if you go on Sunday some vendor may be willing to sell the displays later in the day.