What’s the difference between InReach and InReach SE?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by lacofdfireman, Sep 27, 2020.

1. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking at buying an InReach and seeing that there is also an SE model. What’s the difference and which one would I want. I know the Delorme units are older but are they still good? You can pick one up for about half the price of the Garmin Mini but is the Garmin worth the extra $180? Costco sells the Mini where I live for $320. A used Delorme InReach SE can be had for $150 shipped.

What’s your thoughts. Was riding the other day with a friend and we were a good 20 miles out of cell service range up in the mountains when his bike breaks down. Luckily mine was still running so was able to get help but had I been by myself I’d have been screwed. So time to get something with texting capabilities.
  2. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Delorme inReach SE doesn't have any mapping itself. If you install the Earthmate app on your cellphone and link to the inReach SE you have the mapping on your cell. Linking to the cell also makes texting MUCH easier as you use a real keyboard rather than the virtual one on the inReach SE.
    The newer inReach (Garmin) has mapping but the screen is so small that it might not be all that useable. You'd still want to link it to a cell for texting.
    I have the inReach SE. At the time I got it Delorme had the inReach Explorer that has mapping but since I had a GPS already I went with the SE.
    Even if you don't already have a GPS get the SE and put the savings toward a GPS. IMHO
    dooby likes this.
  3. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome info. Thank you. Just bought a DeLorme InReach SE. Hopefully it’s worth it.
    dooby and 250senuf like this.