What’s up with my 500 exc hoses?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by SR1, Aug 29, 2021.

1. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    Hi all,
    Just bought a new to me 2015 500 EXC and I knew the previous owner had done some changes to the rads but I’m a bit confused. Please take a look at the attached photo, where I’m pointing. Any idea why the one rad outlet is capped and the one hose might be black? I assume I can get a replacement Samco hose for that black one, maybe he cut it somehow… but that cap, is it right???

Ya’ll think this is done correctly? Hmm…

29450B67-4D03-4DC7-A003-A8FD75B32E0E.jpeg
  2. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dunno. Radiator modified or thrashed then modified.
    No stock thermostat or thermostat fan switch.
    Have no idea where the engine is getting its cooling water from.
    May work... but...
  3. Emgo

Emgo Started on a CT70 almost 52 years ago

Oddometer:
    Found this picture on eBay if it helps
    XCF-W 2008-2015.png
    timeOday likes this.
  4. webmonstro

webmonstro A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer:
    The thermostat has been deleted and that plug is to cap off the bypass hose witch is no longer needed without the thermostat. The fan has a external temp switch and readout as you can see instead of using the one that bolts to the bottom of the radiator
    Fast1 and Bitingdog like this.
  5. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    Bingo!
  6. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    So everything is “cool” or do I need to correct something here?
  7. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    If the fan is coming on properly, and there are no leaks, I'd call it good
  8. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    Well, that much is happening. I haven't ran it very long yet, but I guess I'm a little concerned the hoses go the wrong way! I initially felt this bike was pretty squared away but I'm having some doubts.
  9. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Just a FYI, the thermo delete isn't a very good idea if you ride the bike in the winter.
    roookie1, Emgo and SR1 like this.
  10. webmonstro

webmonstro A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer:
    Why do you say they go the wrong way ? Looks normal for a thermal delete dine with Samco hoses
  11. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't worry too much, after all it is a thing that some non-stupid people do on purpose. It should increase the maximum cooling a bit, so it would be good to do if the bike is running in such harsh conditions that it's blowing steam even though it's operating correctly. That orange Boysen cover is also for an extra-beefy water pump, so owner obviously was thinking about heat.

But deleting the thermostat increases the warmup time, since the coolant is circulating right from startup, and operating below temp is not ideal for the engine.

But anyways it's not a mod that a clueless or careless owner would do. It could be debated forever. Don't let it bother you about your new bike.
    roookie1 and SR1 like this.
  12. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    More importantly then the temp variances is when the ecu measures the motor temp and decides it's not warmed up while your running down the road after it's been warmed up. Constant coolant flow in cold conditions means that cold temp is carried right into the motor regardless of it's temp which isn't great for it depending on how cold it is. If it's bad enough it will put the ecu back into (Richer) it's warmup mode, that has and does happen and it's like flipping on the choke on a carb'd bike. Granted you have to live in an area where you're riding in the 40s or less. Now instead of a 14:1 stoichiometric ratio (normal) it's something richer and very apparent in how the bike runs which is basically like shit to quote the person describing it. Its been discussed earlier in this thread and on other forums. Doubt it's an issue unless you're riding the bike on the road at a little speed in cold weather though. My TPI and 500 have their thermostats and in the case of the tpi you'd be surprised how long it takes the thermostat to open on a ride in the 40s. No thermostat on that bike can be the kiss of death since it's much more likely you'd cold seize the motor without it, they like to cold sieze anyway, 4Ts aren't prone to that but washed down cylinder doesn't do them any favors. What I describe requires a specific set of circumstances for it to occur but without one the motor temps are far more varied when riding in cold weather especially on the road.

For me the deciding factor is that I definitely ride in 40 degree weather in the winter and the thermostat removal has been tested and shown not to make a appreciable difference in engine temps at the upper temp ranges so the only concrete benefit of removing it is it eliminates the possibility the thermostat will get stuck. As rare as that is I stick with the factory setup. Lots of riders remove the thermostat with no issues though, to me the benefit isn't there.
    Emgo, Fast1, SR1 and 1 other person like this.
  13. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    I’ve got an ad up in the flea market looking for a housing and thermostat. No great rush but it would be good to have.