1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

What About Bob?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by dakar92, Jan 17, 2005.

1. dakar92

dakar92 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know what has happened to Bob's Motorcycle World (BMW repair shop) on 19th and Western in Chicago? I heard recently that Bob sold the place lock, stock and barrel and he is gone. However, the new owner supposedly is going to keep the business going.

So, does anyone know what's going on? Who has bought the place? Are the old mechanics still there? Where's Bob? I never really liked how Bob ran his business, but he was an interesting guy and he had a lot of nice old bikes. I think he was a graduate of the Ricardo Kuhn School of Business Management though.
  2. Panic

Panic Anxiety's little friend

Oddometer:
    I heard the same thing that Bob sold out, but the new owner is continuing with business as usual.
    I haven't been down there since last spring when I was looking for some luggage for my K bike. I think I prolly spoke with the new owner (John?), but didn't know it at the time.
    Bob's was always a cool place to go in an gawk at his collection. Wall to wall warehouse of vintage to new BMW/Euro/Jap/Hey look at that kinda stuff.
    I hope Bob is getting some time to a ride now! :nod
  3. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:
    hey dakar

get downstate much?

lotsa gravel down here.

cheers
    chain
  4. dakar92

dakar92 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a little bit, but it looks like fun from the reports you guys post. I hope to hook up with you guys later this year.
  5. dakar92

dakar92 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just found out a bit more about Bob's and it has been sold to someone who seems to be changing things for the better. But the big news is that Steve Strickland, one of the best Beemer mechanics in the area, has left Tag Sport BMW and now works at Bob's (now known as Moto World or something like that). In addition, Matt, the younger mechanic that worked with Steve at Tag, has also followed Steve to the South Side. I don't know about the rest of you, but this is great news to me.