what about bt intercom with mesh function?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by BOBLOV, Oct 18, 2019.

1. BOBLOV

BOBLOV bluetooth intercom / dash cam

Oddometer:
    Hi,guys.
    About BT intercom, What are the benefits of the mesh function? Is the communication distance farther? Is the connection more stable? If you leave the team, it is more convenient to reconnect again? As far as I know, the BT intercom with mesh function currently are sena 30K and cardo packtalk bold. Can you share the feeling of using it?
  2. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer:
    Most of the benefit is seen with groups larger than 2.
    Range / Stability of connection: With 2 riders the range is no greater, but as the group size grows the effective range grows since your mesh-capable unit only needs to be in range of a single other group member to maintain connection, while a traditional would have already lost connection to riders on opposite end of the chain.

Ease of reconnection: If you do lose connection (due to range, or powering down at lunch for example) the mesh connection ‘can’ reconnect as soon as you are back in range of the group. It does not always do so, but every time it works is 100% better than traditional BT. Not sure about Sena, but on Packtalk this feature is sometimes tripped up if you have multiple groups configured with similar participants (ie if your normal riding crew of 5 is already configured as group name “Starting 5” and then one day your buddy Kobe isn’t there but a new guy named LeBron shows up so someone starts a new group with a different name. In that example four members Shaq, Michael, Dirk, and A.I. are in both groups. So when the system tries to reconnect it will sometimes place the re-joining member in the wrong group. The solution is to just add new people to the previously-existing group rather than forming a new, largely similar, group.

One potential drawback depending on your use-case (for sure on Packtalk, I think on 30k) is that the mesh intercoms tend to have fewer Bluetooth connection slots than the top of the line non-mesh unit. That only comes up if you have an unusually large number of gadgets that you want to connect, but worth mentioning especially if you generally ride solo or just talk to your passenger in which case the mesh features are no real benefit.
  3. BOBLOV

BOBLOV bluetooth intercom / dash cam

Oddometer:
    Thank you, CopaMundial, your explanation of the mesh is very clear.
  4. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve never owned the 30k Sena but I’ve owned just about every other Sena BT model. Never was impressed by them. Having said that everyone seems to use them so keep that in mind.

I’m a Cardo PackTalk with DMC Mesh convert. Don’t think i could go back to a non DMC System. They cost a little more but the DMC Mesh works incredible. I hated riding with my sons and losing connections and having to re pair everyone. The DMC just works amazing.

Now after all this all my friends are still using Sena 20S systems. So either I go back to Sena or just ride without hearing them. I choose to ride without communication with them. I’ve had to many issues with Sena to want to deal with them again. Also the Cardo Bold with JBL is a game changer. Nothing on the market compares. Even the Sena 30k in my opinion.