What about long trip with a KTM 250EXCF?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Pou18, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Pou18

Pou18 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone,

I was just looking to have some feedbacks from experienced riders who own a KTM 250 EXCF and who made a ''long trip'' with their bike (if so).

I mean, normally I only use my bike to ride in the trails and sometimes I go on the road to switch from trail to trail but I'm looking to maybe do a bigger trip from a city to another with my bike but I don't know if it can handle it.

It's about 365 km of distance with speed limit of 90 km/h (100 km/h is accepted), it takes approximately 4h when I do it with my car. I know the bike is not comfortable for long distance and the tank is not big, but what I want to know is more about the engine. Can it handle 4h of riding at 100 km/h (62 MPH) or it rev to high so it is not good to keep it for long?

Thank you!!
  2. TripleTriples

TripleTriples Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Make sure the maintenance is up to date, so a few times to check temperatures and listen for odd noises. You'll be fine.
  3. Pou18

Pou18 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the answer!
    TripleTriples likes this.
  4. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    It should be fine. I travel all over the place on a Yamaha 250. A 365km day is no big deal. The speed is the bigger deal. The wind on your chest for that amount of time will get tiring. I prefer to find the slower, more twisty roads, as little pavement as possible.
    derekdeadend likes this.
  5. Pou18

Pou18 n00b

Oddometer:
    I totally agree, slower roads would be the best but it is more of a trip to bring my bike from a city to another (since I don't have yet a trailer or something to bring it with my car) so more like a quick trip ahah. Thank you for the answer! :)
  6. Alice1982RTW

Alice1982RTW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As the EXC is a "race bike" they do run hot when idling in traffic, perhaps look at putting a small fan on the radiator that is on a temp switch so it turns on when you are stopped in traffic to keep the bike from overheating.

We are currently rebuilding a 450 and 525 EXC for our RTW (much longer distance to travel I know) but this is one of the mods we have made so that in built up areas we can keep our bikes cool. Also done a sprocket change to 16T on the front and 42T on the rear to gear it down so it's not as revvy.

Also consider having pure coolant not a coolant/water mix in your radiator to keep it running cooler.
    Pou18 likes this.
  7. Pou18

Pou18 n00b

Oddometer:
    Okay really good info thank you! I know my radiator has one fan but were you talking to add another one? My model is 2018.

Since the trip will probably be occasional (maybe 3-4 times during summer) and I mostly do trails, would it be worth it to change de sprocket?

The bike is new so I will check out what type of coolant is in stock.

Thanks a lot!!
    Alice1982RTW likes this.
  8. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Take a tow strap, at some point you will need it
    BaldKnob likes this.
  9. Alice1982RTW

Alice1982RTW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thought process in the sprocket change is by gearing down the engine we can start to extend the service limits.
    We have twin radiators on ours so both sides are getting fitted with a fan as well as relocating the regulator from the air box (not sure where yours is) to a cooler area on the bike.
  10. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    I’m sure Alice means well but please do some more research. Gearing that “tall” is ridiculous and will suck balls offroad. You will most likely cook your clutch trying to ride anything steep and/or tight. Two fans are complete overkill and the stock coolant is more than adequate to keep temps in check. Make sure your valve clearances are in spec and have fresh oil in it before you depart. May the God you believe in have mercy on your ass.
  11. Alice1982RTW

Alice1982RTW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well Mr Baldknob, I'll let my mechanic partner who has been a qualified mechanic for over 30yrs and riding and running motorcycles for 40+yrs that you think he is full of shit. BTW I'll make sure to come back and let you know how well the bikes do in heavy duty off roading as well as long highway trips and be sure to tag you on the posts when we are on our RTW trip (will tag you into the round Australia ones before that though) and you can talk more shit out of your ass
  12. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    Lighten up, Francis. Never said he was “full of shit”. Tag me all you want. Be sure to let me know how yer clutch does and that battery trying to keep up with 2 fans. Have an awesome journey.
  13. davenjai

davenjai Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ran a 250 xcfw for thousands of miles. Did the entire KAT etc. No fan, two IS too much for your electrical system. I ran 14/46 gearing on the 250, the bike really likes 13/52, horrific on the road. I would just not want to bomb along the interstate at a steady speed. I'm sure the motor will be fine. You though will not feel your hands, feet, ass or balls. I'm running a 350 sxf now with 14/50. It is no where near as punishing on the road. You will need a big hammer to get a 15 tooth front on the 250. 16/42 is for a 1000cc twin. I run 16/45 on those.
  14. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have a look at the service intervals. You'll likely be due for an oil change by the end of that one ride. 1 fan is more than enough to keep it cool, adding another is just weight you don't need and power consumption you probably can't afford. A coolant/water mixture actually cools better than pure coolant (and all water better still, but causes other issues). Regardless, I don't think you'll have temp issues on the road where loads are low and airflow is high. Gearing it up will probably help for sustained highway speeds. Counter shaft sprockets are small and easy to remove and install, you might toss a +1 tooth on there for the road work then swap back to normal for off road, or at least be prepared to do so if necessary.

Keep an eye on fuel range, it might not go too far on a tank of fuel.

If possible I'd personally try to trailer it from trailhead to trailhead. The ride won't be fun and while the bike will probably survive it'll put a lot of wear on the knobbies.
  15. goin2alaska

goin2alaska Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go for it! I rode over 12k miles in one trip in the us on a 690 but if I had a 250 I still would have done it, a truck passing a 690 or 250 is pretty close to the same effect!
  16. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't know where the guy got info on straight coolant. Never heard that one before.

Some Red Line water wetter helps to maximize heat transfer, fyi
  17. Its not Ginger!

Its not Ginger! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know nothing of these bikes, but I do know that just a couple of teeth less on a rear sprocket (typically about a 5% change) makes a fair difference to how "Buzzy" a bike feels at speed, yet does not massively alter performance in lower gears, considering how low these bikes probably are anyway.

A 10% gearing change should not ruin the off-road ability, it may noticeably slow down the "pep" of the bike, and you might find yourself using 3rd where you once used 4th, but on the flip side it will feel a lot more relaxed on the road sections.

I use a DRZ400S for light off-roading, it came on SM gearing (Geared for 100+ top end) which meant it would cruise sublimely at 60mph and felt OK at a steady 70, the stock trail gearing is almost 25% lower, so maybe 80mph top end and cruise speed would be down to about 55 - I have started playing with sprockets and plan to end up about mid way between the two, but even on the mega tall road gearing I could enjoy a day on trails (and my off-roads skills are virtually zero!)

I a couple of weeks I have a day testing all the KTM range, looking forward to seeing how they all feel, hopin gthe 250F is a great novice bike as I could possibly stretch to one of those if I flogged the DRZ...

...but my main concern would be engine life if doing too many road miles, and I don't really need a competitor engine, just the much lighter chassis.