What About The Tek Vest?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by YamWOW!, Dec 27, 2010.

1. YamWOW!

YamWOW! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I'm intrigued about the Tek Vest. I wear a pressure suit now and have heard of the Tek Vest. I see Klim has it also. This appears to be the Freestyle. How hot and comfortable compared to a pressure suit. Let me hear some thoughts. Also are all the models Leatt compatible?
  2. pigpen

pigpen Gone Riding

Oddometer:
    yamwow,

I got the tek vest before my last dirt bike ride!
    I got the extra shoulder/upper arm guards!
    Love the vest! Even if it was $$$$$.
    I got it to ride off-road only, but I will use it d/s'ing when cool or cold. It fits great and does not ride up or shift. I do not know if the leatt or other collars fit or work w/ it as I do not ride w/ one.
    The reason I got it was the added protection on the rib cage under the arms and the shoulder areas. It has a double layer underneath the armpits where your elbow always hits your ribs in a fall. Or rocks and trees. The other pressure suits had little to no protection in this area. Neither do the hard shell protectors. The shoulder are somewhat like football shoulder pads, just not as hard.
    It is warmer than a chest/roost protector(hard plastic that is worn outside the jersey).
    I can not compare to a pressure suit as I have not ridden w/ any of them.
    You will need elbow guards if so inclined! This product does not have them attached.
    I did contact a tree w/ my barkbuster, shoulder, and upper arm! It was glancing blow, I did not really feel the impact to my body, so the vest, arm guard did the trick! I could not tell if another product would work better or worse.My roost protector would have snapped or broken, it was only about 30 degrees out.
    One of the other reasons I got this product was the chest/roost protector That I was using would break from almost any contact. The buckles, straps, and mounting points seemed to fall apart from contact. Mine was held together w/ zipties and duct tape to keep it together. Not that I fall or wreck that often, but I do tend to hit branches and trees w/ my shoulders and arms. This might be due to my size 6'2'' and I like to stand when I ride.
    The tek vest construction seems very sturdy w/ a thin flexible plastic layer laminated to soft layers inside and out then held together with different nylons, ballistic and mesh. The shoulders w/ the shoulder/upper arm additions give a few more layers of impact protection that are not completely set to a body part. The shoulders tend to float versus being attached to the body at one point.
    CAVEAT:
    If you get your picture taken w/ just a jersey on and then another pic w/ the tek vest on underneath a jersey you will look 50 lbs overweight ! Trust me this item is not slimming to your figure!!! I could give a crap what I look like when I ride, just so I can keep riding after contact w/ hard items. It seems to do what I wanted!
    Hope this helps!!!!
  3. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Not all versions work with a Leatt.

Amazing protection. :)

Very hot in hot weather :(

I've had mine for two seasons and its saved me on a few falls. That being said I just bought mesh armor because on the hot days I find it too warm.

Ymmv
  4. YamWOW!

YamWOW! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the good review. :clap
  5. Country Doc

Country Doc Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Deadly99 had the older version, IIRC. I have the newer "RallyMax" tekvest which is Leatt compatible, and has the "coolmax" fabric and perforated armor. I can say without a doubt that it is SIGNIFICANTLY cooler-wearing than a pressure suit. I have heard that the earlier versions are less breathable, and not Leatt-compatible. I can't comment on the Klim-branded version but the guys/gals at Tekrider will know - they are very friendly and helpful on the phone. Their website sucks, so just call them if you have more questions.

I've ridden in high humidity, desert 100F plus, etc. with no issues, just wearing a mesh jersey underneath, all the way to sub-zero ice rides with the vest over a Gore-tex jacket for the past two seasons, Leatt brace all the time. It's my favourite piece of gear.

It's really expensive. Maybe even more than it's "worth" but it seems to be holding together very well so far, which is more than I can say for most of my gear.

dc
  6. LILBIT

LILBIT Ride you must.

Oddometer:
    Check out some snowmobile sites for more reviews. I'm betting there's a reason more guys wear them when it's COLD outside.:wink: Klims version is the only one i'd ever consider due to the heat factor. I don't care for the lack of shoulder side impact.
  7. Country Doc

Country Doc Wanderer

Oddometer:
    My version, and most of the others, has attached shoulder armor. The only thing you need to add is elbow guards. I've crashed more than a few times in this setup with no ill effects. :shog

I bought mine expressly because I needed something to perform in hot, humid Eastern weather, which it does, with aplomb. Wearing my pressure suit felt like a pressure cooker by comparison. I have no idea whether it would work well on a snowmobile, as I've never ridden or owned one.

Here's a couple of pics for info.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dc
  8. YamWOW!

YamWOW! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was looking at the Freestyle because it had the full mesh. It is not Leatt compatible though. I like the others but I was worried about the pockets not flowing air.
  9. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    They're great! Picked up a snocross race vest last year, started wearing my freestyle on the dirt. Great armor, comfortable... the shoulders are a must IMO. Can't count the number of times it's saved me on the snow, and it's done a real good job on the dirt.

Does get a bit warm during the hot days, but you can run them on the loose side and it never got uncomfortably hot for me. My snocross vest is -way- hotter than the freestyle... huge difference. Thin enough to be worn under a jersey or pullover, and way more comfortable than the plastic roost guards.

Don't know that i'd spend the money on the Klim vest... only difference between theirs and Tekrider is color and teh d-ring.... not worth the extra coin that klim wants.

Tekrider's armored shorts are good quality too... good luck finding those anymore though.

[​IMG]

And my race vest, way too hot for summer use... great for the snowmobile. Main reason I upgraded to this on the snow is because I got sick of getting bruises on my chest under the tekvest's zipper (no armor there) due to frequent impacts with my handlebars.
    [​IMG]
  10. SnowMule

Oddometer:
    and for [​IMG]'s and :lol3's.... since I just ran across this picture looking for something completely unrelated....

[​IMG]
  11. cloudfly

cloudfly Banned

Oddometer:
    :1drinklooks so cool
  12. LILBIT

LILBIT Ride you must.

Oddometer:
    70$+ for the shoulder pads? What the hell!

If i could try one on to know for certain i'd still consider them. The price is rank but i understand the whole ER/out of work mentality.

Skeletools makes a vest that may compare. I haven't seen one of them in person either.
  13. SnowMule

Oddometer:
    You can find 'em for cheaper. http://xtremesledparts.com/tekvest.htm
    Might also check places like craigslist/fleabay. Start checking those march/april when all the snocrossers start giving away their gear from the season.

As far as trying one on... look around for a snowmobile dealer that sells Klim gear... probably gonna be few and far between where you are though :lol3

Only armor i've worn that's more comfortable is my bullriding vest... tekvest beats the hell out of the plastic armor and pressure suits by a long shot.
  14. Assfault

Assfault Exposed Member Supporter

Oddometer:
    I found my Tekvest on E-Bay and scored it for a C-note. This thing is way more comfortable than any of the body armour I have worn in the past. At first with it being as heavy as it is, I thought that it would be cumbersome and uncomfortable. After about a minute after donning it I forget I have it on. I cant for the life of me figure out how they do it to be honest. I have the model that has the pockets and the hydration area in the back. It has replaced my Mule Camelback and my Rocgarten Armour all in one device. Is is a little warmer than my previous system but I feel it is worth the extra protection and ease of use. Great product, it could be made to a better price point in my opinion, as they are expensive if you pay retail. YMMV
  15. Cruiser

Cruiser Cruiser.. 16 beta 350rr, 04 KTM 525sx/exc FS

Oddometer:
    How long did it take to get used to the tekvest? I just picked up a klim tekvest for not that bad a price and while it does fit under my jacket it feels odd.. may just be riding all these years with the other style.. I've been using the fox air frame since it first came out.. I think its been 12 years now??
  16. SnowMule

Oddometer:
    I've heard that from a few guys who had never worn them before, takes a few rides to get used to the feeling of wearing 'em. Personally I've never ridden my sled without one, so I feel naked without it (even loading/unloading at my house).

Also heard some guys that for whatever reason can't get used to a tekvest. But they can wear a b-wear all day long. I've tried a b-wear and find them terribly uncomfortable. :dunno

EVS released two snowmobiling vests a few months ago... their trail model is similar to tekrider's supersport, and a race vest that's ISR legal (and neck brace compatible). I haven't seen one in person yet, but I'd wager they're both going to be warmer than the Klim/Tekrider freestyle is.
  17. Cruiser

Oddometer:
    Those EVS ones look just like the TV snow rally. looks like they may have made the EVS like they did the klim.
  18. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a freestyle tekvest, and love it! I wear mine on 'da bike in 'da summer, and 'da sled in 'da winter.

The older version of the freestyle did not have a mesh covering and would be way to warm to use in the summer. The mesh freestyle breathes very well.

Tevkest makes the freestyle in numerous branded models...Klim, Yamaha, Polaris, etc, but they are all the same vest, with just different patches sewn on 'em.

The vests are also very adjustable.....sometimes I wear mine under my jacket, and other times over it.

Protection is wayyyyyy better than a "roost protector".

It may take a ride or two to get used to it, but now I feel naked without it.
  19. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers

Oddometer:
    I use mine on the sleds in winter and ATV in summer. Saved my ribs more than a few times! After 10 minutes I didn't even know it was on. I have the FreeStyle as the others were too hot.
  20. Cruiser

Oddometer:
    I was going to try wearing it tomorrow but strained my ankle,, now thats so swollen I cant get my riding boot on it.. Hint.. when doing a brake job on your truck/car in sub freezing temps if you sit the old brake rotor on the ground they is a good possibility it may freeze solid to the ground. when carrying everything else in do not try to kick it to the garage.. it will screw up riding for a week or two..
    I tightened it up a bit and wore it under my DS jacket around the yard walking(hobbling) and I think I may be getting used to it..
    time will tell.. just wish it had the pockets and the hydration holder the rallymax does..