What about the trikes?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by panhead_dan, Jun 15, 2021.

1. panhead_dan

panhead_dan This aint jo daddy's Grundle.

Oddometer:
    I know the ratio of two wheeled road bikes to trikes is kinda small but it is not zero. Plus, there are a bunch of different kinds of trikes. Maybe home built from what was once a four wheeled vehicle to factory conversion made from a bike. It's a fascinating facet of our collective passion that is poorly represented! Let's shed some new light on three wheelers.
    Snap a pic of one out on the road?
    Ride one yourself?
    See an interesting trike for sale somewhere?
    Please post em up below.
  2. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Florida, but soon fulltime in Robbinsville, NC
  3. panhead_dan

panhead_dan This aint jo daddy's Grundle.

Oddometer:
    I and a riding bud built a VW trike back when I was about 20. It had a pony keg gas tank mounted longitudinally where the engine would be if it was a motorcycle. Battery right behind that. 12" over Harmen springer front end and a 1600 dual port engine. Before it was fully completed, I rode it around some, just to see how our design functioned. It was actually freekin awesome! Long and low with a very low center of gravity, it handled like a slot car or something. I hadn't bothered to get plates on it or even paint it yet because I was still in the design / proof stage of the project. Local cops could not catch it!
    Another local rider had acquired an old panhead digger that was all wore out and leaking. Smoked too but it ran. We traded straight across and I never looked back. I've rebuilt and wore it out 4 times now and it's still with me through about 40 years. I can't help it, I miss that trike!
    hyena likes this.