What are Harley riders doing?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Snowbird, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    Have you ever returned to your parked motorcycle to find some idiot rider has backed into the space on your right so close to your bike that when he flopped his bike onto its side stand there's no room (or just barely enough) for you to stand your bike up vertical to ride away? I have, and more than once.

Is this stupidity or passive aggression?
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not a Harley Basher, but...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Three times he did this. The third time I left a nasty note telling him if he did it again I would park his bike in the middle of the street.

He did apologize and said he wouldn't do it again!
  3. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Probably read your plate.:deal
  4. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:

Yes.

I'm trying to go with the 'never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity' mindset though.
  5. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:

This behavior isn't limited to Harleys...not sure why you had to bring that brand into the mix....and I'm keen to avoid the boredom of yet another HD bashing thread.

Discourteous, or thoughtless, behaviour isn't all that unusual on the road - whether it be driving/riding or parking. I've seen plenty of bikers wedge their bike into a space between two cars - without any thought as to how those cars will then get out.....and I've had a fair few bikers park way too close to my bike just to save them a 100 yard walk. Today I had a scooter taking up two spaces....
  6. Draechon

Draechon Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Haha, I looked at the pictures 3 or 4 times trying to figure out how his bike could have gotten closer to yours between shots. Makes sense now that I knew it was multiple occasions.
  7. BadKarma

BadKarma Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think he's got a man crush on JVB... :ear
  8. DR Donk

DR Donk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was it cold there? Maybe, the bikes did that on their own to keep warm. :vardy :lol3
  9. gravityisnotmyfriend

gravityisnotmyfriend Long timer

Oddometer:
    I attribute it to stupidity. I've actually done it myself - and I've never owned a Harley!

Thankfully, the coworker I inconvenienced knew it was my bike and just moved it over a bit so he could get his bike out safely and told me about it the next time he saw me.

It looked like plenty of room when I parked. But, now I pull in to the other side of bikes when possible. And if not, I make sure there's plenty of room for the other bike to stand upright.
  10. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just to be clear, I wasn't bashing HD, it could have been any brand doing the same thing. It just happened to be a HD in this instance.:deal
  11. AK650

AK650 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    "This behavior isn't limited to Harleys...not sure why you had to bring that brand into the mix....and I'm keen to avoid the boredom of yet another HD bashing thread."

Because it's advrider.com. It's how things are done here. Take any subject whatsoever, and twist it into a Harley bash fest!

Jeff
  12. gonerydin

gonerydin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Get a cheap padlock and install it on his brake rotor. Drop the key in the storm sewer. I hate assholes like this, can you tell? LOL
  13. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    :evil good point.
  14. Red9

Red9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What I would like to know is how he was able to get the bike that close to begin with?

I know that after parking it there, putting it on the side stand makes it appear even closer but does the guy have only a right leg? I just can hardly see where he would be able to put his left leg while backing in. And then he would have to get off the high side plus worry about damage to his own bike should it fall.

I'm sorry but I can't help but wonder if this photo is staged...
  15. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    Loads of space until you lean it over. I saw this done by one biker to another outside my apartment - the guy whose bike was trapped in simply wheeled the offending bike into the middle of the road (it's a one way side street with excellent visibility) and then left it.....I briefly toyed with whether I should go and move it back in again but decided against it.
  16. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Or just do a word-association game. List "pirate" "parade" "cruiser" or "pudding bowl" and say the first word that comes to mind...

Not bashin', just sayin'... :poser

:D

--Bill
  17. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Getting on and off on the high side actually is a Harley thing. A whole lot of them do this.
  18. c4nuck

c4nuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I encounter this all the time with our offices bike parking, my cases are at the same height of their mirrors, oh well...

So far its been all types of bikes. I try to avoid washing my bike and it helps keeping them away :evil
  19. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Ironically I have a guy with a beemer that has don that to me a couple times.
  20. mattoid1

mattoid1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I doubt it is actually a Harley thing.