What are Harley riders doing?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Snowbird, Mar 4, 2015.

1. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    All that and not one stinkin link or pic? Sheesh...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley-Davidson_XA
  2. Daddyo

Daddyo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What ARE Harley riders doing?????

Just speaking for one out of tens of millions:

Ran, and pumped some iron.

We rode about 110 miles, talked to a guy who had a brand new Honda stripped down Gold Wing, don't know what they call them, a 2014 model. He had 300 miles on it after buying new a month ago. I figure I'd put 300 miles on a new ride in the first half day but whatever, he was an older guy and I don't know what obstacles he's dealing with. He did say to me "aren't you hot in that jacket"? I says "no but I've been on the road since way before the temps rose.

Then later we visited with 3 groovy moto-cats while eating a burger, 2 from Portland and 1 from Norway, who were making a lap of the southwest. On an older BMW, a V strom and a Honda touring bike. They were having as much fun as we were which is just quite a large bit.

Then rode home and currently watching the Arizona Diamondbacks hammer the LA Dodgers rite now, hope springs eternal : )

It's just tooooo exciting around here.

I did search for a tall bike with aluminium panniers, so I could park up all under it but it wasn't to be. Tomorrow's a new day.
    That's what this Harley Rider did today. Can't believe you really want to know but..... there it is.

Might sip a Bourbon with The Wife/Chic later and watch the Arizona sun go down. Maybe go for a ride after dark.

Daddyo
  3. Mikemm

Mikemm Long timer

Oddometer:
    yawn. Thanks for the boring bedtime story. I guess as long as its an adventure in your own mind, thats all that matters.
  4. Daddyo

Daddyo Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Here's a link for ya dude, slow moving as you seem to be:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

I'm sure you'd love to hear of Harley riders dressing up in their weekend, fair weather costume and "riding" 10 miles. Many did just that today but probably not folks on this forum.

Problem is, there are so many of us that have no costume and who ride every day barring ice or snow. And where I live that means about 320 days per year.
    So I ride. Lot's of others do as well because I see them on the road.
    Evidently a LOT more miles per year than you.

Now, go have mum tuck you in 'cause this all went over your head. Or better yet, sling another few thousand posts. Matters not too me.

Diamondbacks are hammering LA as we speak.

I'll let ya know "what Harley riders are doing" again (at least this one), tomorrow, because I know you care.
    Same Bat Time, Same Bat Channel. I WILL delete any and all references to criminal acts either misd or felony and I don't get thru an hour without commiting one or the other. Only the names have been changed to protect.....everbody.

Daddyo, riding every day and enjoying life to the fullest.

Oh yea, I rode over a 4" concrete curb at a 23 degree angle today at 82 mph, with Wife/Chic on the back, running from a CHP BMW, shortly after jumping a 28" redwood tree that fell across the road. Didn't Harley even notice it.
    AND, my Old Lady is better lookin' than anybody elses. There ya go.
  5. Mikemm

Mikemm Long timer

Oddometer:
    First, I ride a Harley too

2nd, your posts are still nonsense.
  6. Red9

Red9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    They ask what you're doing, you tell them and then they don't care...

Life can be a bitch when you don't fit the stereotype.
  7. Daddyo

Daddyo Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I know right??

daddyo ; )
  8. Daddyo

Daddyo Been here awhile

Oddometer:

1st, THANK GOODNESS, I've been asking for months, WHAT DO YOU RIDE! WHAT DO YOU RIDE!
    YOU RIDE A HARLEY!! Whew, glad that's over.
    I could not care less if you wrangle a ducati, a grom, or "a Harley". I don't know you and I'll never meet your humorless ass. Hopefully.

2nd, You get an opinion just like everbody else with an internet connection.
    People who have lost a child or faced cancer or are dealing with any number of real life real challenges really don't give two hoots "what harley riders are doing".
    Much less sit on the edge of their seats anticipating the next post in a 80 some page thread on the topic. That's just sad. A tear runs down my manly cheek as I type.

So there ya go, I answered the original poster's mundane question, several times. All in jest because to me it's a silly asinine topic.
    It may be central to your core existence, maybe not, but too me it's a goofy spewing contest.
    And like I'm fond of doing I injected a small bit of sarcastic semi-realism into the muddy waters.
    You can interpret it literally if that's your gig. You can call it a snoozer bedtime story. But you have missed the point. Not that it's a point that matters in life.

Who cares what harley riders are doing today? Not me. I'm glad so many people have so little on their real world plate that they really do care. But I still find it pretty amazing because they could spend their time living life for real.

Or riding for real.
    But that's just my nonesense so take it or leave it. And feel free to post your nonesense, it really does matter!!!

Goldschmidt just hit a 2 run homer, 6-0 AZ.
    Tomorrow I'll post yet again, what Harley riders are doing : )

Over and out.

Daddyo
  9. BadKarma

BadKarma Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Our day was similar... The wife and I rode 200 miles more or less over two mountain passes. Made a video on the way back from Toponas to Wolcott. Harley any snow up high for this time of year. Colorado may burn to the foundations this year. Maybe.

My neighbor, also a Harley rider (owner these days, he has terminal cirrhosis of the liver:cry) started his Dyna glide in the garage. He let it idle for a few minutes and then shut it down. It may be the last time he does that or maybe not, he's had one foot in the grave and another on a banana peel for a couple of years now.
  10. Desce

Desce Finished Pig

Oddometer:
    This thread has 80+ pages. Neato.
  11. CSI

CSI Long timer

Oddometer:

Passive Alarm
  12. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    "What are Harley riders doing?"

Changed the oil and filter yesterday morning. Over a four day Easter weekend (I added Monday as a Vacation Day), we put over 900 miles on the bike. Yes I should have changed the oil on that Friday, but the choice was perform maintenance... or ride. We chose ride because it was a nice weather weekend.

That was last weekend. Yesterday - Saturday, April 11 - we rode over to my son's house to visit our new granddaughter. Beautiful day. Sunny, about 63 degrees F. Ton's of riders out yesterday. Today the wife and I plan on an all day trip. That's why I'm up so early... gotta plan these things out.

That's what these "Harley Riders": are doing!:lol3 (And all this time I thought we were merely "motorcyclists").

Have fun!:ricky
  13. ozmoses

ozmoses .

Oddometer:
    Yeah, well, I'll tell you what the two in front of me were doing today-30 in a 55.

Clean,clear,dry pavement with nice curves and no safe passing zones.

When we finally reached an intersection they signaled left, luckily I was going right; unfortunately, I guess the road captain was butthurt by me making my turn first.

Following those jackwagons at 25 under for 5.5 miles was the limit of my patience.

I don't care what bike you ride, but if you can't ride it well enough to not impede the flow of traffic pull the fuck over. :dizave
  14. BadKarma

BadKarma Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The state highway between my town and the next one 7 miles hence is posted 55 the whole 7 miles. Very seldom does anyone actually travel at that speed limit. Most are doing 10-15 under:deal Most of them are in cages,:huh the motorcyclists seem to know what the speed limit is and travel at or over it when possible.

Also, some Harley riders are riding more than others... https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/4966779675.html

93K on this little sportster.. nice bike.
  15. jersey jim

jersey jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Put a couple hundred miles on the Harley today, also stopped and spent a few hours walking around this place:

http://www.motorcyclepediamuseum.org/

Well worth the visit, the place is HUGE and full of all sorts of bikes, stock and custom, including what is probably the biggest collection of early Indians I have ever seen in my life.

If you're ever near Newburgh NY I highly recommend it.
  16. ozmoses

ozmoses .

Oddometer:
    Motorcyclepedia is awesome! Truly.

Indian collection is mindblowing.
    Plus, they've got a Harley or two downstairs. :thumb
  17. Daddyo

Daddyo Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Right, right, right.

I'm pretty sure that nobody on this site is going to defend the weekend warrior, wannabe, costume wearing, "I own a Harvy-Diddleson" and "I Have the stickers on everything I own, to prove it", "I write huge checks down at the local Harley Boutique, on a weekly basis", "I have a road captain" (I always hated officers : ), ('cept for YOU Capt. Johnson, a true 19D Calvary Scout, you know who you are), my 2013 FLTGOSLOIWOBBLEALOT has almost 450 miles on it and 15k worth of H-D accesories, I blip my throttle on 2 second centers and have memorized every episode of sons of anarchy, I've never been in a fist fight in my life but I'm wearing Harley gear so You Must Fear Me.

The ENTIRE WORLD is annoyed (including smart car, minivan and prius drivers) by parading, slow moving, all dressed up, I only ride when the temperature is 76 degrees or warmer, I never ride unless I have on my official Harley-Davidson boxer shorts/H-D trousers(?!), H-D boots, H-D shirt, pocket watch, doorag, and of course sunglasses. Not to mention my official highly festooned hog gear.

Get over it, they exist, they patrol only on nice weekends. They are annoying in every way. But you nor I can make them go away.
    They glance unaprovingly at my old, well worn, usually semi dirty Harleys.

We were making fun of them in the 80's when they first popped up. But like minions, they just keep coming and coming.

So I've learnt to just live with the RUB WB's and simply pass them by when possible.
    Overall they help the moto cause, having accountants and dentists who dress up 1 or 2 days a week to play biker, just gives us more legislative clout in the overall scheme. Annoying as they are.

Understand this, if you will, or don't if you won't, real Harley riding motorcyclists are as irritated by them as you are. And there are a lot more of us than most folks realize.

Real riders who sling a leg over a H-D can only dream of the day when a hit tv soap opera for women is made about Gold Wings, or GS', or (more likely) Duke's so every mid life crisis/I always wanted a bike but now I have the money/ I wanna dress up in my leathers and drag a knee on the way to starbucks, pick a non H-D brand.
    But for now we are stuck with the world as it exists and can't really mold it into our desired outcome. Except on the interwebs.

Oh yea, almost forgot, this Harley rider went for a ride this afternoon, in perfect temperatures. Watching Moto GP on TV right now, pulling for that old timer Rossi for sentimental reasons and what he pulled off in Qutar. Wow.
    That's my NU, Nonesense Update, I'm gonna need a new front tire pretty soon and my upholstery guru buddy is going to have to recover my seats really soon for the 3rd time.

I hope My Riding Friends in the frozen wasteland are getting some decent riding weather so they don't go completely bonkers.

Hopefully a more exciting update tomorrow.

Daddyo
  18. Red9

Red9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You sir need to hand over the keys to your motorcycle and get the fuck off the road...

I don't care what you ride but if you couldn't find a place to pass a single godamn motorcycle on " clean, clear, dry pavement with nice curves and no safe passing zones" for 25 miles doing 30mph.... you should be riding in a short bus.

And he's the jackwagon?:norton

You do know the definition of osmosis?
  19. inverted

inverted Berwyn rocks

Oddometer:
    oh stop with your common sense and logic Daddyo....that's not how teh intranets work. shame on you
  20. farmerstu

farmerstu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    perfect DaddyO, i rode my HD yesterday and the KLR today. that's what i did!