What are Harley riders doing?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Snowbird, Mar 4, 2015.

1. tlub

tlub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, last Sunday my buddy on his R80RT and me on my R75/5 were coming home doing about 75 on I-94, and saw a Harley about 1/4 mile ahead when we got on. In the next 10 miles we slowly caught up to him (which means he was doing about 74.5 or so) just as we reached our exit, and waved. He waved back, and carried on. So the answer in this case is that the Harley rider was pretty much doing what the BMW riders were doing. And we both waved.
    Oh, and later that day I rode my R69S. Then I got in my Prius and went grocery shopping. It was too late for coffee so I didn't get any. Hate to break that stereotype, too. But when I do drive my Prius somewhere for coffee it is usually one of the local shops like Victor Allen's, Colectivo, or Michelangelo's, rather than the large chain Starbucks. I sometimes ride my bicycle or one of the motorcycles there instead. Imagine that.
  2. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    When am in Starbucks in my Prius I always hassle the BMW riders about getting a real bike.

I figure it gives them something to post about on advrider as they aren't going to do a ride report for their trip to get coffee...

Just my community service
  3. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    While this may be true, I've yet to meet- and by meet I mean be forced to travel 10 mph under the posted limit, a Prius driving roadtard who doesn't fit the stereotype.
  4. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Come over to my neck of the woods. Prius drivers here seem to believe they've an environmental exemption from speeding tickets. Judging by the lack of Prius I see pulled over, seems they might be right.
  5. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't own a BMW,Harley, or Prius so don't go to Starbucks. I guess I could park my Ural or W650 behind the store out of sight and walk up in my Aerostich if I had one.

Stuck with 7-Eleven coffee.:cry

Attached Files:

6. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:

Around here the Prius drivers go slow, never accelerate and rarely brake. I guess that describes the Pirates on American motorcycles too.
  7. dwizum

dwizum Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of my past employers had Priuses as fleet cars. You better believe I broke the crap out of the typical stereotype every time I was behind the wheel. I held departmental records for fuel economy. And by that I mean I had the lowest, not the highest. :D
  8. tlub

tlub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Boy, did that get this thread sidetracked. A hit on every baited line I cast in the pool, even though it was all true. I should go fishing. Or may trolling. Or maybe I did. Aren't stereo types fun?
    :D:D:rofl
  9. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stereotypes exist for one reason.
    Can you guess what it is?
  10. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    so that weak minded people can feel justified in their hatred for things that they are either ignorant towards or fearful of. :deal

Do I get a cookie?:lol3
  11. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    not a guess....

"Stereotyping, to us, is useful because we like to organize our thoughts by structuring and grouping our ideas. This makes thinking for us efficient. Stereotypes clear haziness, allowing us to determine whether or not we’re in that group- or out of that group. Humans want to understand where they are in relation to others. Due to the complexity of our culture and society, this efficient way of evaluation people and situations is based on our previous experiences, and ideas that we already hold. We are greatly influenced by the ideas of others. Coming up with ideas on our own is too much work for us to do."
  12. Oldenuftaknowbetter

Oldenuftaknowbetter Long timer

Oddometer:
    A whole dozen.
  13. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    A) No- stereotyping and prejudice are not the same.

B) Yes, if I had one to give.

C) Kinda sorta

when the psychobabble (which works both ways in that it also helps people identify a group they want to associate or be associated with) is dropped, it's because stereotypes , on average, accurately identify common behavior(s) and/or values of a given group.

Why do people display stereotypical behavior?

So they can "fit in", which eliminates the work of coming up with their own ideas- aka social conformity.

tl/dr- because they're true :D
  14. Rgconner

Rgconner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am a unique little snowflake!

Just like everyone else....
  15. Red9

Red9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Sorry Ginger Beard's definition is spot on. Yours, just a bunch more "pyschobabble."
  16. rg500

rg500 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    when I was an apprentice, I used to have to get parts...They had a 440 (Chyrlser)sp, station wagon
    The left front fender turn signal indicator thing was also a vacuum gauge...
    We used to brag about who could keep the light on the longest...
  17. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3

I understand, cognitive dissonance can be unsettling to some.

But, hey, it's hard work to come up with your own ideas!

(btw- it's actually a fact that prejudice and stereotype are not one in the same.)
  18. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:

lol!

exactly.
  19. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nah, we're gonna hate you because you can afford two nice bikes. Make sure to get some loud pipes for your Beemer. There are still plenty of lives that need saving.
  20. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:

Ozmoses is actually correct. My tongue in cheek jab is more at what can be the result (or haven of ?) of long term fixation upon the stereotypes surrounding any 1 given group. This behavior is rooted deep within our evolutionary makeup. Stereotyping is evolutionarily advantageous with regards to "us" surviving against "them". The issues arise when the all too common transition from survival instinct becomes a primal outlet for a psychosis such as prejudice . Mental issues are a bitch.