What are Harley riders doing?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Snowbird, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Royal Tiger

Royal Tiger Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer:
    I will admit to not being much of a Harley fan, but most of that stems from my ex father in law who worked at the York plant. The stuff he told me, which I'm SURE happens with all brands, makes me shake my head in disgust. Add to that the power play they did to Harrisburg and blackmailed PA into all kinds of tax incentives or they were pulling stakes and fleeing to Kentucky I think it was. More corporate foul play then anything about their bikes. As for the "culture" thing, yeah that irks me, but I knew plenty of real riders that didn't dress the pirate nonsense and just rode. Would I ever buy one? Never. But damn, I was at the dealer one day with one of the motor guys picking up one of the department bikes and saw a CVO Road Glide Ultra. :eek1 That was one GOD DAMN AWESOME looking motorcycle.
  2. zerohype

zerohype Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Epic fail. Congrats for being a sheople though.
  3. LudemJo

LudemJo Iron Butt Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Do they make loud pipes for BMWs? Oh yeah...Akropovik or something...:evil

They are probably WAY more expensive than the pipes on my Harley...and BTW they are both WAY QUIETER than the 1974 Corvette with side pipes that I just sold. I never got a comment about the noise from the Corvette...most commented that it sounded great.

Perspective, I guess....

John
  4. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:

It's not the volume. It's why they are loud. BMW, Ducati, Triumph - more HP

HARLEY - just to be loud.
  5. blk-betty

blk-betty bam-a-lam Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not going to aurge the merits of loud pipes but changing stock HD pipes/mufflers along with an open intake increases HP. Actual numbers increased may not be as high as for the other brands but percent increase is generally pretty high.
  6. BadKarma

BadKarma Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, now I'm sure you know what you're talking about.:norton
  7. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/harley-recalls-nearly-46-000-161919987.html

DETROIT (AP) -- Harley-Davidson is recalling nearly 46,000 motorcycles in the U.S. because they could stay in gear due to clutches that won't fully disengage.
    The recall covers certain Electra Glide, Ultra Limited, Police Electra Glide, Street Glide, Road Glide and Road King models from the 2014 and 2015 model years.
    Harley-Davidson Motor Co. said in documents that gas bubbles can cause the clutch master cylinder to lose its ability to fully disengage the clutch, especially if the bike has been parked for a long time. This could cause a rider to lose control of the motorcycle if it's started in gear.
    The problem was found through customer complaints. Harley reported 27 crashes and four minor injuries.
    Dealers will flush the clutch and rebuild the master cylinder. The recall was to start April 23.

(relax, have a beer- it's Friday)
  8. BadKarma

Oddometer:
    :lol3

What's the world coming to? Kids these days got it way too easy, cable clutches worked just fine for a hundred years already.:gerg
  9. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^^
    Yep mechanical brakes worked just fine for many years too. NOT!
    Never heard of gas bubbles in hydraulic systems being caused because of sitting.
    2014 and 2015 HDs sitting two long? Call BS on that from Harley.
    Maybe the systems were not bled properly at the factory or bad parts from China?
  10. BadKarma

Oddometer:

My god, you don't trust the corporate excuse makers? :eek1
  11. LudemJo

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  12. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    Admit it, that's a Photoshop ! Those bikes can't survive in the same place at the same time....Wait, why is the BMW parked so close to the HD?!
  13. LudemJo

Oddometer:
    Nope, just a motorcyclist's stable...they seem very happy sharing the garage space.

I am very happy with them both!

John
  14. 2tallnwide

2tallnwide Long timer

Oddometer:

+1......:D

[​IMG]
  15. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:

Do both bikes fit on the boat? You need to fashion some type of amphib. assault ramp.
  16. Mikemm

Mikemm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now that makes more sense. Pontoon boats and Harleys.. you like em slow :lol3
  17. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    Why do you hate Yamaha?!:lol3
  18. 2tallnwide

2tallnwide Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doesn't make much sense to have a fast boat when 95% of our boating is like this....

[​IMG]

Having a fast, uncomfortable motorcycle doesn't make any sense for us either. Both of my bikes will get me a ticket anywhere in the country, anything more is simply overkill. The days of 100+ MPH wheelies are in the past, I'm enjoying the roses these days. :wink:
  19. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    Boat Bashing!!!!:lol3
  20. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I haven't been keeping up. For the past month I've been riding Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky and Ohio on my KLR. Two of my favorite roads of the trip were one down a ridge north of Chattanooga and the other began in Caryville, TN. I also recommend the area south of OH 550, inside the little appendage that hangs down on a map.

In two weeks, I fly south to retrieve and ride another street-oriented bike north.

I didn't see a lot of bikes of any brand on my recent trip. No one asked me anything about my KLR. Only one car driver was a total asshole, passing me going five over the limit on a DY as we crested a hill. I thought I lost the dipwad in the curves, but he must've really floored it to catch up. Thank God no one was coming or it'd been really nasty. A short distance up the road, he passed his intended turn and pulled a three-point turn in the road (completely unsafe spot) and headed straight toward me, then swinging onto his intended road. I don't carry when I ride, but the thought crossed my mind when he was headed toward me.