What are some "throaty", audible motorcycles in current production?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by tessalino, May 28, 2020.

1. tessalino

tessalino Long timer

Oddometer:
    Harley is loud.

My old Triumph Scrambler had an Arrow pipe installed with the baffle removed. It was loud.

The Ducati Monster with aftermarket pipes is also audible. Yet with a deeper throaty sound.

Any other makes that sound more like these?

A lot of bikes are loud but have a very high pitched sound. I'm mostly curious about Ducati-ish loud.
  2. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    Anything with a v-twin.
    BobcatSig and T-34 like this.
  3. T-34

T-34 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This. Or a thumper. Or maybe a boxer.

Anything else will be smoother, and not give you the sound you want.
  4. Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gotta say, one of the most intoxicating sounds I have ever heard is a newer Yamaha R1 with flat plane crank and the right exhaust. It's not high-pitched and whiny. Sounds more like a V8 at high RPM.

There's a guy in my office complex with one, and he rides past my office window to go to lunch almost every day. It sounds so bitchen to me that one day I followed him to a Subway shop and asked him what he'd done to it. He had a Two Brothers exhaust, no other mods.

My last BMW had a Leo Vince exhaust, which made it sound sort of like an angry tractor. I liked it.
  5. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    To me, the stock 2-into-1 on my Harley Sport Glide has a great sound without being loud.
    72 Yamaha RD350 likes this.
  6. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Depends what you mean by "throaty" and what sort of sound pleases you. If you simply mean loud, You can make any bike louder with a suitable exhaust.

My 100% stock KTM 1290 set off a few car alarms the one time I gave the throttle a good hard blip in a covered parking garage.
  7. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Probably my favorites are an old Ducati 748, my 1998 Ducati 900SS and my 2007 Duc Monster S2r1000. All had or have Termi exhaust sytems. The 748 was the most thrilling because it had such a quick rev. The 900SS is pretty good but doesn't have any fierceness to it. The Monster must have a light flywheel because it revs fast like a dragster. I ran it without the db killers in it and that was spectacular, but it was just too loud so I put them back in and am very happy. It has a toned down sensation but still gives a hint of a race motor. Also most of the very latest inline twins that have a 270 degree crank firing order sound a lot like a V-twin. Even stock they sound great!
    BobcatSig likes this.
  8. st3ryder

st3ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Guzzis too.
  9. Husky360C

Husky360C Been here awhile

Oddometer:

EDIT : I just noticed you said "current production". So the KTM 1290 with an Akra system would take the place of a 990, which is no longer in production.

I've got a KTM 990 SMT which has a full Akrapovič Evo system ( $3,000 worth, includes titanium headers ). With the dB killers removed it sounds pretty sweet, though it is loud enough to offend some folks if you get on the throttle hard. I keep the dB killers installed out of respect for my neighbors, but if I ever move to an isolated location the dB killers are going to be removed, in part because I have seen deer stop in their tracks when I approach on the bike with the dB killers removed ( Perhaps the deer says to itself : "WTF is THAT ?!?" )

Ducatis have a "hard edge" to their exhaust note I think may be unique to Ducati, and they are one of the best sounding bikes I've ever heard. But a KTM V-twin with a full Akra system is a close second.
    T-34 and tessalino like this.
  10. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's my brothers Chromo (sorry, crappy pic). You can see the exhaust under the bike...sounds like a 427 Cobra Jet. My Duc with Termi's is more 327 small block. Both sound glorious.

chromo.jpg
    duc exhaust.JPG
    duc monster.jpg
    JaySwear likes this.
  11. CharlesLathe

CharlesLathe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Someone with a Honda CB 1000 passes by here sometimes. It sounds very nice to me.

rd400racer, your brother's chromo duc looks good. I like to see bikes that are kept immaculate.
  12. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks, but it's definitely not a garage queen. He's put over 30K miles on it and it isn't his primary ride. But it always draws a crowd wherever he rides.

monchromo.JPG
    JaySwear likes this.
  13. GPD323

GPD323 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The induction sound and even with the stock exhaust my Z900RS has a very deep sound, and it crackles and pops on decell.
  14. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Ducati twin, was still the best sounding bike I have ever had.
    I have always found twins to sound better than inline 4's.
    I rode a Daytona with a nice exhaust I found pleasant with the triple also.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  15. Tenacious B

Tenacious B Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aprilia V4 with a pipe can't be beat imho. When I'm at the track those are the bikes who's sound turns my head.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  16. JaySwear

JaySwear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live a couple miles from a Ducati dealership and I can always tell when one is rolling past the house. Especially the Panigales. Even stock those things are so loud your ears ring after a short ride!
  17. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    All of Triumph's current modern classic bikes sound amazing right from the factory. Nice tone, not too loud, with deep, "feel it in your chest" notes. This includes everything from the Street Twin (which might actually be the best sounding of the bunch) to the Thruxton R to the Speedmaster to the Speed Twin. All of their current P-twin engines sound great and they put nice exhausts on them.
  18. haystack

haystack Just ride

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Rollin' and HuntWhenever like this.
  19. Mr. B

Mr. B Slowpoke

Oddometer:
    My Stelvio 1200 had a very ominous rumble at low revs, but sounded more like a Ferrari when you wound it up.
  20. redneckK20

redneckK20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    *Crossplane. Flat plane is was most I4's have giving them their high pitched shriek.

Oddly enough my Super Tenere 1200 with the cat removed and a Two Brothers slip on minus the baffle was my favorite sounding bike that I've owned.
    BobcatSig likes this.