What are the Tallest Trials boots ?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Super Dirt Dud, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Super Dirt Dud

Super Dirt Dud Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I searched the treads and did not see anything regarding the tallest boots ? I am using Gaerne oiled and they are nice boots but kind of low for my long shins .

Thanks for the input
  2. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    Forma Boulder
    Rdway60, grizCP and lineaway like this.
  3. riabma77

riabma77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In my opinion, height isn't very important like in enduro. I'd say the shortest, the better.
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  4. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Forma almost killed me a couple of times from the height. I can`t remember if it was the bars or my levers getting stuck to cause me to high side. I just remember enough was enough, and went back to Gaerne.
  5. Norman Foley

Oddometer:
    You're going to have to draw a picture for me, because I can't imagine what was going on there? :dunno
  6. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    I'm with Norm on this one. Seems to me if you're getting your bars stuck in your boots, something else has already gone horribly wrong. :johntm
    Beatprojim and Buschog like this.
  7. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    In a full lock turn, I could get the bar end/lever stuck into the top of the boot. Usually on a hard off camber turn, so if I had to dab I was screwed. The last time I had boots that would do this, was my Full Bores back in 1974 on my Ossa. Back then it was the long kick stater would get caught in the medal emblem on the boot face.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  8. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, I forgot you ride that brand that can turn in on itself. :D
    y4m4, jonnyc21 and lineaway like this.
  9. Super Dirt Dud

Oddometer:
    My boots have big plastic enduro knee / shin pads going into them and they do work . I do not have much space between the pads n the boots but thought if they were taller that would cut down on the opening . Currently the pads only meet at the bottom of the pad and just at the top of the boot by having a higher boot they would go further into the boot . I have thin legs so my boots will not tighten around my calf if I do not wear the knee pads . Beside as clumsy as I am I should probable wear them all the time . I had not given the height problem a thought . Maybe new Gaerne boot will be the way to go . Lineway what size are you ?
  10. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:

You have obviously lever seen @lineaway crash. His crashes are a lot like his section routes, very different from "the norm"..... :eekers

:hide
    Huzband, jonnyc21 and Norman Foley like this.
  11. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    For all my roundness with my age, I am still somewhat flexible. Somehow I get myself in the most awkward angles, sometimes I win and other times I loose. But always entertaining.
  13. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    You had to ask.( 2 years ago.) So after the too tall boots, I bought the new Gaerne classic. Way too tight in an 11. I gave them to a local kid. The very next trials was a free set of Gaerne oiled boots well used size 11. Perfect fit. So a year ago I bought a new pair of size 11 oiled boots. Tried to stretch them out for the last year. No Bueno. So for Christmas I got size 13 boots. Now I have size 13 for my left foot and size 11 for my right foot. Perfect fit!! Getting old is such joy!
    Buschog and Super Dirt Dud like this.
  14. Ian@3D

Ian@3D n00b

Oddometer:
    Formas and they are fantastic. Much stiffer sole than Gaernes too.
  15. Super Dirt Dud

Oddometer:
    There are so many threads on boots . Well the only thing touching the bike is your feet n hands so it makes sense to me rite ? Now I started looking at all the other stuff like my 7 year old never to be clean again Edge pants and boy you could drop a bunch of money on gear . But boots are so important that I really want to make a good decision on it , Style Martin . Gaerne , Forma , Alpine Stars and maybe some others . I cannot see me without enduro knee pads the trials ones cannot be slipped on after you put on your boots and they remind me of a knee brace / wrap n that is not very comfy ,
  16. Super Dirt Dud

Oddometer:
    For the guys with Forma boots do you use knee pads ? Enduro or trials ?
  17. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    By the way, I wear CTI2 knee braces with a knee cup.
  18. Norman Foley

Oddometer:
    I wear Fox Titan knee shin guards for trials. I wear CTi 2 knee braces for enduro, with Garne SG11 boots.
    I wear Forma Boulders now, and prefer a taller boot. I just bought a pair Stylmartin Impact Pro boots. About as tall as Forma Boulder, but will require a lot more break in, than the Forma. If you are used to Gaerne’s, the Forma’s will feel like a taller, stiffer version.
    Super Dirt Dud likes this.
  19. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    No way would I be looking for taller boots. The knee brace rides right on the top of the boot now. Any taller and there will be an overlap issue.
  20. Super Dirt Dud

Oddometer:
    The Forma are on the way . Thanks for everyones help !!
    Norman Foley likes this.