What Bike Did You Just Buy?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by MacMcMacmac, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    Awesome. How do you like her compared to the FZ-09 & XSR900?
    chohan likes this.
  2. jethrocephus

jethrocephus Most Honorable Right Minister of Folding Money Supporter

Oddometer:
    A77D1183-B4F4-4620-9058-1D295D39E2F1.jpeg
    205 on the GS but what the heck? Had my eye out for one of these for 2- 2 1/2 years, stumbled into this one at VJMC Gettysburg.

0AE552D2-D24D-4CC4-8554-1DF1CF18B25C.jpeg

This one is further proof that persistence and patience eventually pay off. Unfortunately, previous owner had started picking at the side cover decals so they had to come off. Going to paint the exhaust and ride off into the sunset.
  3. nevada72

nevada72 Milwaukeeish

Oddometer:
    Traded my Street Glide and FJ09 in on this -
    IMG-0183.jpg

The Street Glide was getting old and I was getting sick of the weight x power/shitty suspension=angry formula. The Yamaha was a great bike, but I like the RT better. In fact it's the best of both worlds - lighter (relative), speedy, Great for two up touring, and rides great on our sucky Midwest roads with ESA set to "Soft". I wish I would have done this sooner.
  4. advmgm

advmgm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd say you done good!
    Nice looking unit!
    PDarnall and chohan like this.
  5. Chip Seal

Chip Seal Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The color is terrific. Fits the bike well.
    Chickenstrip and chohan like this.
  6. Haven't Ben There

Haven't Ben There restless soul

Oddometer:
    Those are two awesome finds.
    jethrocephus likes this.
  7. linkweewee

linkweewee tantum quantum

Oddometer:
    So cool. The first time I went 100+ mph on a bike was on a friend’s 1978 Z1000 Z1-R. Is that an OEM headlight cowl on yours and how do you like your bike so far?
    Chickenstrip and chohan like this.
  8. chohan

chohan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not sure if this is sarcasm due to my post count? :D Only one bike at a time for me mate. Bought the fz09 in 2014, then sold and purchased the XSR towards the end of 2016. The War dept. won't let me keep multiple bikes.

After 5 years on a 2016 XSR in A mode, to me the kawi seems very smooth and well mannered. The xsr is very snatchy and herky jerky, even after I had the yamaha factory reflash that helped a bit. Later I added a full exhaust and vcyclenut flash which really woke the bike up but the snatchy throttle was always a factor. I learned some great throttle control during my time with the bike but it could bite you mid turn on occasion. Best have the bike settled and smooth throttle out, obviously.

However, if you like riding like a hooligan then the xsr is the winner. You can wheelie just by holding your mouth wrong... perhaps too easily. I added woodcraft clipons which dropped the grips 1 inch and it made a big difference. I could lean over the front, tach it up and launch from a dig without lifting the front much easier plus it gave it just a touch more sportier riding position. The xsr is simply a blast to ride.

Dislikes for the xsr
    I hated the noisy whirring engine sound. Not the exhaust but the engine itself. That triple is just plain noisy.

I never liked the frame. Yes, I know it's lighter but the way it comes down from the front and attaches... it reminds me of "The Claw" in those kid machines that you move around trying to grab a toy.

Those 2 boxes on both sides of the front of the frame that cover electrical stuff. It always struck me as a tacky, unattractive afterthought of a solution.

The kawi is 40+ lbs heavier but I can't really feel it on the move. Doesn't feel anymore top-heavy than the xsr. The xsr is a bit quicker on the turn-in, the kawi takes a wee bit more effort but once settled, it feels much more planted in the turns. Could be a difference between the Dunlops vs the PR4s on the turn in.

I love the analog gauges on the kawi much more than the xsr setup.

Performance-wise, the bikes are very similar. The z900rs has good midrange power. Personally, I think they are both great bikes but I love the RS looks more and since my first bike was an '08 kawi 250 and later a ZX6r, the brand will always be my first love.

Thanks!

Cheers!

OEM cowl comes on the cafe version.
    I just got through the 600 mile break-in and 1st service so now I'm loving it. At my age, most of my friends and coworkers ride Harleys but the Z900rs garners many compliments.
  9. Jetpilot5

Jetpilot5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He didn’t quote you. He was commenting on this.

upload_2021-7-18_15-12-42.jpeg
    mumu37 likes this.
  10. chohan

chohan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ah, thanks... my mistake for quick reading at work and not clicking the attachment. Agreed, nice one for the collection!
    Jetpilot5 likes this.
  11. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now... With the stereotypical jokes about GS riders and yes I know yours isn't a GS... I gotta ask... was your background for your picture intentional? :zilla
    Rakthi and nevada72 like this.
  12. nevada72

nevada72 Milwaukeeish

Oddometer:

Lol........yes it was. I had just picked up the bike. I figured it would be good for a laugh. I posted it up on a FB RT page and there was a bit of consternation when I said "Here she is in her natural habitat." :D

Full disclosure - I did go in, wait in line, and paid 5 bucks for an iced Espresso. Then I went out to the patio and ogled the bike while sipping the overpriced beverage.
  13. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nothin' wrong with that! I, for one, appreciate your sense of humor with that. And I'd also have a beverage and look at my bike, pat myself on the back for my good taste. :photog
    Chalkie62 and nevada72 like this.
  14. KLX250s

KLX250s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That Kawi Z900s at the top of the page, is it a new model or older? It's pristine if older, didn't think they still made those bikes. It's a beauty!..............just noticed an oxygen sensor on the exhaust, must be a newer model.
    chohan likes this.
  15. badweatherbiker

badweatherbiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    excellent choice! thats what I was looking at if I bought another
    chohan likes this.
  16. badweatherbiker

Oddometer:
    Thats a 2021 Z900, new bike and they are very nice rides
  17. badweatherbiker

Oddometer:
    always wanted a Drifter, I had an 800 classic once and it was a great bike.
  18. chohan

chohan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Of the modern Kawasakis, there is the Z900 which came out in 2017(?)

211e6bf8-62c6-4f57-be20-8fa383df083d.jpg

Then the Z900rs (retro sport) which came out in 2018, a redesigned hat tip to the 1972 Z1 900. Same motor as the (above) Z900 but detuned for better midrange power/torque.

27cb3523-f765-4c1a-a0cc-bc2ff736face.jpg

Also the z900rs Cafe, although I'm not sure if it was available in the US in '18.
    70061156-0299-4c53-9814-1a70ea58934f.jpg

For me, it was love at first sight in 2018 but I'd just picked up the XSR900 2 years earlier and added over $2500 in mods so I fought against the temptation for almost four more years until I just finally caved. Honestly, it was worth the wait and I enjoy having a bike with no worry about it looking dated in 3 to 5 years because it already looks dated... as do I, so perfect match. :D
    Bors, sgmarshall, BigIron and 8 others like this.
  19. KLX250s

KLX250s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yea the middle one is my favorite, colors too. Oh the memories! Doesn't look dated, just looks like a real m/c instead of a track/racer bike.
    chohan and Allucaneat like this.
  20. Snizz

Snizz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Scooped this 2018 up last week. Came with akra headers, slip on, and a 2wdw tune. 2900 miles. Love the looks, design, smooth power, and raunchy exhaust noises.

Attached Files:

jon_l, Gham, badweatherbiker and 17 others like this.