What bike did you take your test on....

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Displaced Mike, Nov 2, 2006.

1. catfishdan

catfishdan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    1982 Yamaha Seca 550
  2. fastdadio

fastdadio Still gettin faster

Oddometer:
    1969 BMW R-60. Road test.- "ok son, now I want you to drive down to that stop sign, turn around and come back here". So I did, then, pulled up front and asked the tester "now what". He said "thats it". Sheesh! I owe my life to my old man.
  3. ktrout01

ktrout01 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The class I took has an assortment. I took a Kawasaki 125 and was able to spin around the box with ease while the guys who took the cruiser style Rebel had a helluva time in the turns.
  4. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Does your driver's license have a gold star on it? :lol3
  5. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I cannot remember. The 70's were like that for me.
  6. dirtrulz

dirtrulz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I took my test on my ktm supermoto. The guy in front of me used a 150cc scooter, was almost like cheating.
  7. Steelybeast

Steelybeast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Buell Blast. Interesting bike in some ways.
  8. bmwchromehead

bmwchromehead n00b

Oddometer:
    We don't need no stickin test...got my endorsement in 1966, a good thing since I never test well !
  9. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    MSF-supplied CB125. It was lots of silly fun.

My first bike, however, was a GS500, so there's that.
  10. 99Bandit

99Bandit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I took my test on a 1987 Honda VFR700. The lady administering the test failed me because I put my foot down once. I think she failed me because I tried flirting with her before the test started. I guess I wasn't as charming as I thought I was. :lol3

I went back the very next day with the same bike and passed. Thank God I had a different person giving the test. And, I made sure I didn't flirt. :D
  11. LS650

LS650 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Back in 1992, I did a training course with road test on a Yamaha Virago 250 (now called a V-Star 250).
  12. dwthump

dwthump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a KLR650 a couple of years ago and hadn't ridden a bike for 23 years, (marriage), even though I grew up with them. I took my Illinois riding test after 150 miles and it was very difficult. I couldn't imagine taking the test on a cruiser style bike. I barely passed, I think it is a no-win test anyway from the get-go. I could ace the test now though.

Darren
  13. Iron Dingo

Iron Dingo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1984 VF750 Honda Magna
  14. hrdrckclmr

hrdrckclmr this is gonna hurt

Oddometer:
    72 TS 250 savage was my daily rider back then past no problem, no so the old guy on the springer ridged hardley right before me :evil
  15. L.B.S.

L.B.S. Long timer

Oddometer:

Ha! I had nearly the same thing :lol3

It was a cold fall day (1979) up in Northern British Columbia, and the instructor did not want to be outside any longer than he had to.

"Go around the block while I have my cigarette break. If you make it back before I finish my smoke, you pass. If I'm done before you return or I hafta send someone out looking for ya, you fail."

This whole procedure was ridiculous in the first place, because I had already been riding my bike ('79 Honda XL185S) for over a month on the street, having passed the absurd 10 question written exam Learner's Permit test.

I will never understand how the Motor Vehicle Branch people came up with that demented idea.

"Hey, we should let total newbie motorcyclists only have to pass a 10 question (multiple choice!) written exam, and then let them ride off on any bike they want."

"If any are still alive and want to get their licence after 30 days, we'll make them take a riding test."

:huh :rofl
  16. SiouxsieCat

SiouxsieCat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    82 Kawasaki LTD 550

Mind you, it was past its prime and it was given to me. I was a noob and it needed so much maintenance (brakes!), I'm surprised I survived the test.
  17. CIGuy

CIGuy n00b

Oddometer:
    2000 Kawasaki Concours with all the luggage and topcase on. Scored 100%! :clap
  18. der_saeufer

der_saeufer ?איפה בירה

Oddometer:
    Make it twenty questions and limit the rider to daytime solo riding off freeways and you have California today. You can even renew the permit and never take the parking lot test!

It blows my mind that anyone who can answer some questions from the driver's manual is legally allowed to ride a Hayabusa or a Road King with no practice whatsoever.

Took my test on a POS early-80s KZ305... in 2001. My MSF class had only the best bikes :rofl
  19. RForestR

RForestR In the Woods

Oddometer:
    1988 Honda CB450 that I borrowed off a buddy of mine:

[​IMG]
  20. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    First time was on a buddy's GS550E. Did the 'weave around these cones, then ride down to the end of the road and come back' thing.

Second time many years later was on my R1150RT. I'd tried to borrow a buddy's twin cylinder Suzuki but he hosed me. :bluduh So, on the RT it was! Passed despite dropping the thing on the first cone.

That first cone was the reason I stopped racing bicycles and gained 40#. :baldy Jacked up my lower back something fierce. :nod

Now I'm almost back to racing weight, but don't have a MC to my name. :cry Working on that tho! :nod In fact, I'm fixin to go on a 4hr bicycle ride right after the new teevee gets delivered. :ricky

M