What bike do you want today?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by fivehitsweak, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm waiting for the newest Valkyrie
    mrbreeze and sbn like this.
  2. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get a Monster instead.

The S2R was one of the best looking ones, IMHO.
    [​IMG]
    OierXT, Chalkie62, sgmarshall and 2 others like this.
  3. motorat

motorat Is it raining

Oddometer:
    Are we going to get the Honda 350??
  4. MattR302

MattR302 Awesomeness, Inc.

Oddometer:
    I’ve browsed the classifieds a bit for Monsters too, seen some S2R’s and 1100’s for more appealing prices than Hypers. But I dunno, they just don’t seem to do as much visually/emotionally for me - which is basically 100% what this bike would be about for me. Plus I don’t know if I can do the Monster’s more aggressive riding position - I put a 3” taller handlebar on my 919 for more upright ergos.

My DR650 is kinda tall, but I manage on the street just fine since it’s pretty light. I had a Tiger 1050 for a quick minute that I ended up selling because it was too tall and top-heavy for my daily use. But that Tiger was probably 125-150 lbs heavier than a Hyper, so I might be ok. Who’s got one I can test ride?
  5. msahern5

msahern5 Jumping at Shadows

Oddometer:
    Still a work in progress but 70 Triumph T100C handlebars, Andreani front cartridges, Nitron shocks, Lucas tail lamp, Mitas E07 tires and high level exhaust. Not a true single tracker but ridden like a 60’s street scrambler.

A slimmer tank, smaller headlight, and a skid plate would be nice. The seat, although infinitely more comfortable than the original, could be better styled for a scrambler. Almost everything is available on Webike. Lots of interchangeable parts for W650 and W800.

Wish I had the talent to build a Rickman type frame.

81F860E4-2FBD-4573-8094-2148AD9753BB.jpeg
    zzzak, jon_l and IslandMonkey like this.
  6. Dorzok

Dorzok Long timer

Oddometer:
    DCT all the way on THAT bike. it's just...…...right.
    kltk1, Honda-50 and sbn like this.
  7. jmlmjmjm

jmlmjmjm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Slimmer tank? Get the 2001 tank pads! They're noticeably narrower.
    msahern5 likes this.
  8. msahern5

Oddometer:
    Mine is a 2001!I have looked for slimmer badges.
  9. jmlmjmjm

jmlmjmjm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Weird.....Blue\Silver is 2000, Green\Cream is 2001. Your tank pads appear to be 2000 vintage. Can't quite tell.
    msahern5 likes this.
  10. msahern5

Oddometer:
    Embarrassing as it is, you are correct, it’s a 2000 model. Built 10/99. I have several bikes but I should at least know the model year without looking, especially as much work as I’ve done to this one.
    jmlmjmjm likes this.
  11. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rally 300 is an odd bike to buy to go fast on, isn't it?

Nobody with any sense would spend $4000 to turn a Honda Rally into a KTM Enduro.

I want a Rally, but it won't need to be"ready to race".
    Wallachian Spikes and Honda-50 like this.
  12. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:

I would, but then again my approach would be quite different... I'd go to the KTM dealer, trade in the Rally and $4000 on a near new used KTM Enduro. :lol3

This 2018 with less than 1800 miles was in Cycle Trader for $9500:

[​IMG]
    OierXT and dtysdalx2 like this.
  13. Kikemon

Kikemon Buffoon Emeritus Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really like how you phrased that! Like it was the bike changing over time and not your knees. Subtle, but effective. I am going to have to use that. I recently noticed my 1150 GSA has gotten noticeably more top-heavy too! :)
    tankshooter and jon_l like this.
  14. tjt94

tjt94 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think I want to trade my T120 for this R1250R. Real first world problems in my head! I am not sure the $10K difference is actually there as I have done suspension work on the Triumph (realizing it is still not at the BMW level).

R1250R.png T120Side.png
    OierXT, r0ckrat, kltk1 and 4 others like this.
  15. markk53

Oddometer:
    Yeah and the suspension probably isn't as good as a superbike, but hey, it's not on a superbike chassis either. I'm guessing it works pretty well for what it is though, right?

It all comes down to which ride position, power delivery, and looks you prefer. Those are quite different bikes. So, time to make a choice, right? :confused

What a conundrum to be in... Trumpet looks pretty good... except for the fuzzy overgrowth, but nothing wrong with a comfortable butt. :thumb
    kltk1 and tjt94 like this.
  16. tjt94

Oddometer:
    I do need to trim down the hair length some, especially in the back. It's an IKEA skin that costs only $30. It has always been a good solution for adding additional height to the seat (I'm 6'4") and adds a couple hundred miles of comfort per day.
    Honda-50 likes this.
  17. markk53

Oddometer:
    I know, the sheep skin thing was always big on any tour or long distance rider's bike. Kind of a paraphrase of the original Kawasaki Vulcan 1500's nickname UBF - ugly but fast. The sheep skins are UBC - ugly but comfortable. I guess yours has a mullet? :imaposer

I'd do the same. I have a strap on Coleman ATV cushion I got to put on the bike for more air flow under the butt. :D

I think in the SW you guys need something with some of the heat you're seeing right now. Stay comfortable and cool as possible.:thumb
  18. curtis6870

curtis6870 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent choice, the BMW roadster is the best bike out there, period. Commute, Carve Corners, or Tour, no other bike does it as well.
    r0ckrat and kltk1 like this.
  19. tjt94

Oddometer:
    It was 115 for the last 30 minutes of my ride today. At least I got home before it went to 119 like it did later.

I went to BMW of Escondido today and found that I do not fit well on the R1250R. It could be modified but the difference in cost above my T120 is too much. I am not willing to let it go for $5500. It's too good of a bike for that. They had a nice new mag wheel GS on the floor but for $23K, the payment would be above $400. Too much for my taste. The T120 will remain in my garage and continue to get a couple hundred miles per week on it.
  20. Johnnyhonda

Johnnyhonda Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking about getting rid of my '06 ST1300 and joining the adventure bike world with a new ATAS ES. I bleed Honda red.
    penguinsfan82 and GeoAggie like this.