What bike do you want today?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by fivehitsweak, Jun 3, 2010.

1. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    I also have a TU250 which I love, but the bike that is making me take second glances for a small, simple, enjoyable machine is the Royal Enfield Meteor 350. Seems to have a bit more power, but it's also a lot heavier. However, we have an RE dealer here finally, so it might be worth a look.
    ridenm and V0R2G0 like this.
  2. Cycledelic Relic

Cycledelic Relic follow old goatpath

Oddometer:
    I actually have a Kakadu jacket Im sellin just like that one....pants too.
  3. Dorzok

Dorzok Long timer

Oddometer:
    dang it
    https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/d/torrance-yamaha-scooter/7339286720.html
    [​IMG]

if I didn't have to build an inlaw suite right now and a dozen 2x4s didn't cost as much this guy's asking price.
    dang it. I gotta stay off that site.
    firstshadow likes this.
  4. BCinMD

BCinMD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been off two wheels for too long...itching to get back. Thinking something like this would be a good re-entry bike:[​IMG]
    shoeb and ridenm like this.
  5. r0ckrat

r0ckrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those are tiny... Way more cramped than the SV650...
  6. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    The next Harley Rev. X
    F9DD95CF-0DA4-4059-831B-1B26855A8CEF.jpeg
    The cafe, please
  7. Dorzok

Dorzok Long timer

Oddometer:
    They not bad for average sized American male.
  8. psycho klr

psycho klr Same psycho, now with less klr Supporter

Oddometer:
    South Central, Wisconsin, Not da udder one
    [​IMG]

This one has 11,000 miles and is offered for $14,000 OTD. I like it. 2016 Monster 1200R
    fastring, LuvPop, Chethro and 5 others like this.
  9. psycho klr

psycho klr Same psycho, now with less klr Supporter

Oddometer:
    South Central, Wisconsin, Not da udder one
    I can't imagine trying to keep that clean with all of those nooks and crannies. They are amazing in their own way though.
  10. shoeb

shoeb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Perfect for the job! :thumb
  11. Dave.0

Dave.0 on the spectrum

Oddometer:

not much not to like there -- one of the all time best street bike motors and top shelf components
    the price seems a bit steep but thats the cream of the crop for the old style monsters
    tonyubsdell likes this.
  12. msahern5

msahern5 Jumping at Shadows

Oddometer:
    Well, I’m 2 for 3. That Yamaha would be nice, though.
  13. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Which one, the SR500 or the XSR700? The SR is due to be brought in to get the wiring done.
  14. JETalmage

JETalmage Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used to think that way, too. I worked at a Honda dealership in my young & foolish days (early 70s). I saw the CLs as pure rubbish; 'fake dirt bikes'. Just street bikes (CBs) with upswept pipes to fool the naive customer. If anyone wanted a street-legal dirt bike, they should clearly buy a dual-purpose (SLs). I even ridiculed my buddy struggling with his CL175 in the local clay hills and woods while I ran circles around him on my TS185 Suzuki Sierra.

Lo these many decades since, though, I've heard myself saying this a thousand times: My preference for Adventure Bikes is not based on any Walter Mitty fantasy of round-the-world travel. I've no desire whatsoever to try to pretend a 500 lb bike is something for recreational trail riding. I have proper dirt bikes for that.

I simply prefer my 'big road bike' to provide a sit-up posture and more practical ruggedness than a conventional touring bike so I don't have to feel finicky about it when I dare venture a little beyond pavement. Tooling around the campground. Going down the occasional gravel or hard-clay rural farm road. Parking it in the field of my own thickly wooded off-road playground.

Then I bought a W800. Which—much to my own surprise—I absolutely delight in riding. Me; not even a 'retro'-guy. It's much more appealing to me than the 790 Adventure that I finally rid myself of shortly thereafter.

And now, the bike I find myself most often day-dreaming about is a scrambler version of the W, based on the same engine and just as well-executed—with all the same visceral appeal—as the Street and Cafe models.

Why? Simply because I'd like a version of the W that I don't have to feel finicky about when I….

So: High left-side pipes. (Never hide that bevel gear drive.) A modest pebble guard. Scrambler bars with hand/lever guards. A little more suspension travel. Tasteful, timeless design. In short, a Kawasaki W correspondingly parallel to the Triumph Scrambler.

See? It's not about posing, after all. Five decades later, I finally get the Scrambler. Who'da thunk it?

JET
    JHG67, Honda-50, HapHazard and 3 others like this.
  15. Dorzok

Dorzok Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    But face it, scramblers are absolutely rubbish when it comes to traversing the rough ground that any dual sport can handle easily. So, since any plain jane bike - CB350 to W800 - can handle the same off road conditions as most any scrambler, why have a scrambler? What were those day-dreams about the scrambler? Couldn't be picturing yourself riding one now could it?

Pretty sure that is what posing is...
    to assume a particular attitude or stance, especially with the hope of impressing others (ed, or yourself): to assume or hold a physical attitude, as for an artistic purpose: to pose for a painter (ed, or yourself).​
    If nothing else you are posing in your own mind... picturing yourself riding the bike with the high pipes ala Steve McQueen.

Key point - there is nothing wrong with this whatsoever when it isn't affecting anyone else in any negative way. Took me a while to admit I, too, am a poser.
    Honda-50 likes this.
  17. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Florida, but soon fulltime in Robbinsville, NC
    My Scrambler has 10" of suspension travel, and traverses rough ground pretty well. You need to stop thinking all scramblers are like 50 year old CL350s. :deal
  18. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah my Benelli scrambler is fun on gravel and rutted jeep trails. I know it’s barely different than the street model. A little more suspension travel, different bars, and grippy pegs... but who cares? The suspension works, the riding position rocks and I’m happy and comfortable to take the bike anywhere.

Honestly I couldn’t see myself taking my old 750 nighthawk or my Ace 750 or my v65 magma on any of the “roads” around Mountain View motorcycle campground. None of those bikes had the travel, they’d bottom out too easily. The v65 and ace had horrid ground clearance.

what I can do on my scrambler is the same what I can do on my adventure bike. Ride a long distance to fun places, then dabble in the dirt.

Charles.
  19. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    Custom built suspension?
  20. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Florida, but soon fulltime in Robbinsville, NC
    Triumph 1200XE - stock, but adjusted for my weight.