What bike do you want today?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by fivehitsweak, Jun 3, 2010.

1. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    KTM690.jpg
    Okay, I'd like the regular 690 Duke (all we got here), but the R has the best appearance (as well as equipment).
    thebigman and Chethro like this.
  2. busa1300

busa1300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For a conversation piece....one of one.
    I am thinking for it's day....It would have been at the top of the heap.

1981 Yamaha XJ1100 turbo....built for Tokyo show when displaying the new 82 Turbo Seca 650

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. tennmoto

tennmoto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have two, but I want a moto Guzzi Breva, V7lll, a Royal Enfield 650, a Kawasaki w800 cafe, RS 900cafe, xl1200Cx
    That’s mostly it

Attached Files:

TonyKZ1 and Allucaneat like this.
  4. oldoval

oldoval Pleasant as fuck

Oddometer:
    CCM builds cool bikes....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    rauchman, JHG67, crackerguy and 2 others like this.
  5. Contrarian

Contrarian Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of these...

upload_2021-7-7_21-53-14.png

also one of these...

upload_2021-7-7_21-54-51.png

why not...

upload_2021-7-7_21-55-35.png

and lastly...

upload_2021-7-7_21-56-8.png

:raabia :happay
  6. Chickenstrip

Chickenstrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^ I like your taste!
    I'd also throw in one of these ...

Speed-Twin-Hero-Static_017-1.jpg
    busa1300, Mikecr50, Philthy64 and 4 others like this.
  7. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
  8. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer

Oddometer:
    This...with Brembos and a bigger dash....come on Yamaha!

2021-05-31 12.21.50.jpg
  9. Chickenstrip

Chickenstrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone researched the difference between Brembo calipers and all else? I'd love to know what makes them work so well. A caliper doesn't seem to be so complex that one brand/design could be noticeably better than another, but then I'm just some moke who's never even ridden a bike with Brembos. :yikes
  10. BoilerRealm

BoilerRealm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I want a bike to replace my R1200GSW. Something that is 90% as good on the highway, 90% as good on dirt roads, and 75-80% of the weight. Factory cruise. Can be had for 12k or less, new or used. KTM 790, maybe a Tiger 800. Thats about all I can come up with.
  11. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    It's a well regarded name, but it's not the be-all-end-all for brakes. Same thing with Ohlins -- it's a name with huge brand recognition, but there are lots of other manufacturers that do just fine.

Brembo was the first manufacturer to supply full systems for production motorcycles (Guzzi and Laverda), and got into Formula 1 with Ferrari in the 70s, as well as pioneering the aluminum caliper. They have always had their fingers into European motorsports, and were typically associated with high performance anything.

What they do well is make a very rigid braking system. Rigidity requires a well-optimized design with material in the right places, and the newer calipers are one piece (much stronger, fewer places to fail or leak) and rigidly mounted with pistons on both sides of the disc while the disc floats on bobbins. What all that rigidity does is get you really good feel and feedback at the brake lever, because every input your fingers create on the brake lever has an effect down at the brake that you actually feel, because a minimum of force is lost to flex, expansion, etc. You're not likely to get that type of precision with a floating caliper. They do feel good to ride -- they're really progressive, controllable, but very powerful as you continue to squeeze.
    sodapop, Rick G and Chickenstrip like this.
  12. JStory

JStory Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm having the same "wants" as a replacement for my old R1100GS.
    Tiger 900 GT Pro might do the trick.

13. Cycledelic Relic

Cycledelic Relic follow old goatpath

Oddometer:
    1979-80 Here in Waco Tx....at Steakley Honda Yamaha... There were 2 XS11 Turbos built by the service dept. I was workin in the parts dept at that time.
    There was an exceptional mechanic doin the turbo installations on those bikes....& I remember the look on his face after returning from a test ride on one of the turbos..... Id describe his expression as extreme enjoyment & terror all in one.

He told us he was goin across the mile long "twin bridges"... shifted at about 70 & nailed the throttle. It was all he could do to get the front wheel back on the concrete by the end of the bridge.
    busa1300 likes this.
  14. BoilerRealm

BoilerRealm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, just out of my budget at the moment. I don’t want a payment.
    JStory likes this.
  15. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Brembo makes one of the best top line brakes out there, but they also make lower line ones too. Yamaha uses Advics mono block brakes, similar to that of Brembo, and consistently gets excellent reviews on the bikes that run them. Nissin also makes top line brakes as well and are used on a lot of Hondas. I know Tokico makes good stuff, but not sure of the higher line. When it comes to the road, I'd not turn my nose up to any of them. I think some bikes run them just because of the reputation and upscale they give, not so much because they are really stronger or better for the purpose.

By the way master cylinder to caliper mismatches know no brand. My Guzzi 850-T had a mismatched Brembo set up and it sucked. Could have done Flintstone brake method with better results. :lol3 I think they had the dual caliper master cylinder size on the single caliper brake - talk about wooden. Power is all controlled by the master cylinder piston to caliper piston area. Smaller master cylinder = more psi and vice versa, then there is the mechanical leverage of the lever.

Just saying if you rode a bike with the Brembos set up you wouldn't be :eekers, you would be :ricky with very good very controlable brakes and probably like it. I like 2 finger brakes and my XSR has Advics calipers with a Brembo (OEM) master cylinder that is a fair match, but I'd like stronger. Maybe when I have the money I'll get a proper radial master cylinder, probably Brembo, because I know which one to buy.
    Chickenstrip likes this.
  16. oldoval

oldoval Pleasant as fuck

Oddometer:
  17. Tanshanomi

Tanshanomi Your Favorite Uncle Supporter

Oddometer:
    Back in the fall of '84, the local Honda dealer had a new GL1200 standard he was having trouble moving. When I expressed an interest, he shot me a healthy discount off MSRP. At the time, my daily rider was an XL600R that was no more than a year old. I was in the Army, living in the barracks, and I wasn't sure what I'd do with two bikes. OTOH, the '85 lineup had already been announced, so I knew that was the end of the line for naked Wings. After about a half-hour of flip-flopping, I told him no thanks. Next time I went in, it was gone. That decision haunts me when I see photos like this one.

gl1200_standard_wing.jpg
  18. Geschift

Geschift Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. DutchVDub

DutchVDub Adventurous Pirate Supporter

Oddometer:
    I want another '92 883 Classic like this one that I'd rebuilt for my g/f (now wife) to learn on. Really, I just want this bike back.

07-26-2016.jpg
    TonyKZ1, HapHazard and JimVonBaden like this.
  20. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice looking standard! :thumb