What bike do you want today?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by fivehitsweak, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Year1911

Year1911 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I want a Desert Sled so bad...Other bikes capture my attention and tempt me, but it's the one bike I keep coming back to.
  2. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I guess when a company make actual dual sports they don't need build scramblers.

But Yamaha has doe two that seem to have a lot of riders "scrambling" with them. The SCR950 and the XSR700. Especially the XSR, a lot of riders are doing them up as scramblers. Coming in at 400 lb. not too bad. Of course there is the Tenere 700 as well, along with the Kawasaki Versys and the Suzuki V-Strom models, being probably better than all the scramblers. Just don't look old.

Perhaps the Japanese manufacturers just don't see the market as anything long term or worth it yet. Japanese companies don't always jump to go face to face with European companies, like KTM. Only recently has Honda made a competitor for the KTMs, with the CRF450L. Riders always complained because no Japanese company made a high tech dual sport, but the fact is the Japanese have sold the snot out of the low/mid priced dual sports and certainly don't need the high line market.

Face it, the only company making what would transfer to a traditional Triumph like scrambler is Kawasaki with the W800, but not making it as a scrambler yet. The only major companies making scramblers are Triumph and Ducati. Maybe the Japanese attitude is NBFD.
    Honda-50 likes this.
  3. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    The exhaust headers might just be the best looking stock headers on a bike since....well...the 400 Super Sport!

[​IMG]

Rick G
    Honda-50, TonyKZ1, ridenm and 3 others like this.
  4. Skidmarkart

Skidmarkart Dirty Middle Age Man Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's a great-looking bike.
    Got_Carbs? and Rick G like this.
  5. sleepyOwl

sleepyOwl Long timer

Oddometer:
    United Kingdom of her Majesty's Tax Collectors
    04edd6ee30.jpg
    Sindarin and Contrarian like this.
  6. r0ckrat

r0ckrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here we go again... Scramblers serve a purpose for some people. Just because they don't serve YOUR desired purpose does not mean they don't serve a purpose. Yes, a more specialized bike will perform better under it's specialization. Yes, dual-sports are great, but they aren't the perfect bike for everyone. Same with ADV bikes. A Scrambler might just fit a particular person and be more comfortable than anything else, regardless of ultimate performance. Not everyone is going to eke out every last bit of performance in any given situation, so how it performs may be less important than how the rider fits on that bike, and how the bike fits THEIR needs, not yours.

Oh, and Scramblers from BMW (other euro makes):
    BMW - the R nineT, both Scrambler and Urban G/S.
  7. r0ckrat

r0ckrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And today, I think I want a Norton...

[​IMG]
    gulfcoaster, busa1300 and Geschift like this.
  8. ARiderX

ARiderX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dodgy business and dodgy business owner. Google it to read about that rabbit hole
    tonyubsdell and td119 like this.
  9. busa1300

busa1300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    So why? Not that you'll get an argument from me. I love my RK.
  11. RevnUp

RevnUp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Why replace the Electra Glide? I wanted a Road King when I bought the Electra Glide but got a great price on the EG. I really don't have a good reason other than aesthetics--I prefer the look of the Road King over the batwing. (And also I've been drinking the Kool-Aid of "Random Road King Thoughts.":lol3)
  12. PeterTrocewicz

PeterTrocewicz Long timer

Oddometer:
    All the talk about the new Sportster is making me want a more classic one, back when it was still a pretty good standard bike. I tried to buy a 1200 back around 1990 but couldn't get one. And if HD had a version like this in the lineup in 2017 I probably would've bought one instead of my Bonneville.
    Of course, someone will come along and say this isn't a real Sportster because it has an Evo engine or its not an XLCH. That's okay. I respect that, maybe even lean that way a bit myself.
    Harley XLH 1200 91.jpg
  13. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I know. I was being a bit flippant. I guess I've been around too long to go for all the market hype. Next we'll see 1500+cc "scramblers". And, of course there will be a market.

But the fact remains, they ain't building them as such. Only two major companies are building the old school scramblers, unless you want to count the FTR1200, XSR700, and XSR900. Which, from what you say, they must be, considering the R nine T Urban G/S doesn't quite fit the bill either. But obviously the other post didn't.

Hey, if those other bikes can be lumped in with scramblers, maybe the dual sports can too! Now I want one of these...

[​IMG]
    ktm4me and mentolio like this.
  14. Plungerhead

Plungerhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    Today my dream bike is this..........
    I'm a Gemini however, so that choice could change in a few months, or a few hours.
    https://i.postimg.cc/rFnWQPJS/ducati-gt-1000.jpg

Crap....I thought the pic would post. Will have to try using photobucket.
    r0ckrat and PeterTrocewicz like this.
  15. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
  16. Plungerhead

Plungerhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely Beautiful!!!
    That exhaust is sexy!
    Who is the builder?
    11motos likes this.
  17. ARiderX

ARiderX Long timer

Oddometer:
    You know what? I just realised that this thing is real!

I haven't had a lot of time to keep up with things, so I usually just open this topic (best topic, great variety of stuff) and scroll from picture to picture without stopping to read much.

I honestly thought this was one of these BIKEEXIF pictures. Or whatever that site is where artists make photoshop mashup of bikes they'd like to see. They're generally really well done, so with quick glance you'd hardly notice these are photoshops.

Then I went to the harley website (as I do every 3-4 months just to look around) and to my surpise I found this picture there.

Wow, what a fail... I really don't like it at all. And I'm not a boomer, old school, anti-progress or whatever. I can appreciate all types of bikes, from a kawa H2 or Z1000 or whatever insect type bike to a Z900RS or bmw 1200 r nine-t.
    Dorzok likes this.
  18. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    Plungerhead likes this.
  19. DeepBarney

DeepBarney International Bumbler

Oddometer:
    I want a low miles FZ6 that's had the R6S fork swap already done to it. At >100k miles it doesn't make sense to upgrade my current FZ6, and I really don't need any more projects waiting for my attention.
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  20. inlawbiker

inlawbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Me too. You can pick up a nice carb model from early to mid 2000's for around $5k, perfect for bopping around town, to the cafe or pub on a sunny day.
    PeterTrocewicz likes this.