What bike do you want today?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by fivehitsweak, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Lord Explorer

Lord Explorer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Totally! Wish we could get them in the U.S.
  2. Dorzok

Dorzok Long timer

Oddometer:
    ppl agree. comment on my original post was meant tongue in cheek.
    more ppl waiting on this or this
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. DutchVDub

DutchVDub Adventurous Pirate Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like both of those a lot. Arguably I'd probably take an FTR over them, but the VVT on the Revolution motor does give it a bit of an edge over the Scout/FTR lump. Of course the Scout/FTR lump is approaching a decade old depending on how long it was sitting in R&D prior to the Project 156 bike being built.
  4. JETalmage

JETalmage Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nah. Pretty, but not for me. The W is worthy of a factory scrambler, done right.

Nothing should obstruct the view of the bevel gear drive; least of all a header pipe running outboard of it. The left view of the W twin is ordinary, so the void there begs for the pair of headers to go that way. Done right, that would entail redesign of the airbox for single-side access. I'd also expect fully adjustable suspension with about 6" travel. And keep the W identity and period allusion intact; commensurate with the other two.

What an opportunity it represents! A cleanly defined trio of models sharing the same as-yet under-sung primary draw: that unique W engine. Simple, easy, stress-free (just like the bikes) buying decision. No clutter. No gratuitous gadgetry. Refreshing. Just take your pick of Street, Cafe, or Scrambler. I dare say the completion of the trio—especially at this time, when none of Big Four are offering a scrambler—would elevate curiosity, awareness, and sales for all three—which the W platform really deserves.

JET
  5. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    I am not a huge fan of chrome if one is serious about taking them to the gravel and dirt.
    Maybe the big 4 should start thinking about a standrad platform for their Z lines that will also work great as a foundation for other flavors like adv. , Tourer, scrambler, etc .. and leave the R chasis and geometry for the track and liter bikes.
  6. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    @11motos You mean like an XSR700 that it seems the rest of the world see as a scrambler? Guys in the UK and Europe are putting skid plates and big block dual sport tires on them. Some in the U.S. are riding them as scramblers too. Just like what riders are doing with the Ducati Scrambler. In fact they have been in comparison tests together.

By the way, what is a Z line? And can you say MT-07, Tracer 700 (not in the U.S. yet but the 900 is), XSR700, Tenere 700, and this year the R7? Already been done, five different models from the one engine and, in some models, very similar general base frame... and why leave the track/sport bikes for the liter bikes only? In spite of what some may think Yamaha already has covered the bases. Started with the 2014 FZ now the MT, and in 2016 the XSR as a modern take on the retro line, with a lot of custom possibilities. One that is not considered is the fact that Yamaha went a step further making a concept bike that has been replicated by some flat track teams, the DT-07 flat track bike.

I guess you guys need to pay attention to what some Japanese companies have done. Heck some riders are scramblerizing their W800

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Dorzok likes this.
  7. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:

Yes exactly. based on standard bikes you can make more bike flavors than the "Z" lines.
    sorry with Z I mean taking a sports bike and removing the plastics and calling it a "sports naked" or whatever (for example ninja 400 vs Z400 ) but
    more times than not they continue to be frog like sitting positions, bucket seats and overall uncomfortable and quite small for a lot of people.
    you can make a decent sporty bike in a not so aggressive geometry that can do other things a lot better IMO and serve as foundation for many more models the people now want.

the idea is that a standard chasis and geometry will fit better the other flavors and even allow people to convert
    their bikes from one season or trip to the next.

Imagine a brand that came up with the extended "lego" concept like we see in cars now... although I take in some countries is more difficult
    with the absurd homologation draconian laws that is nothing but a business to bleed the taxpapers.
    like in spain putting a slightly different rearview mirrow that is even better than the original might fail
    the so called inspection done by your majesty's royal inquisition.
    Wallachian Spikes likes this.
  8. markk53

Oddometer:
    I kind of wondered, then I saw the R bike.

The XSR has that "lego" kind of thing going for it. My bike has three different styles of seats that go on with the twist of the key in the seat lock. The rear subframe is easily removed for those who want that "I like mud sprayed up my back" kind of experience. Riders are cutting down the front fender, making covers to cover up the bits they don't like. Lots of stuff being played with. I've done a number of changes with mine sticking with the standard bike layout, leaning toward a street tracker look as I go. Gonna do a thing like Chopper Charles did with numberplates as side bag supports, his actually cover the clip on pannier supports on his though.
  9. bdonley

bdonley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Loving my Triumph Thunderbird Sport. Missing a light in town runner. Eyeing this, thinking it’d also be a killer campground runner on the back of the RV. Pretty much the classic camper bike! D0614CCA-301A-4E87-9029-12CC25020500.jpeg
  10. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
  11. Dave.0

Dave.0 on the spectrum

Oddometer:
    ^^ I would be interested in a track only KTM based on the 890 motor. Then you read more and they are only making 100 and it says its a "unique motorcycle aimed at a special type of rider who knows how to get his, or her, elbow down."

so, I guess I'm out
  12. pazzo

pazzo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yea, all that and 40k USD.
    If you're part of the first 25 you can take delivery in Spain @ Jerez and have a track day, dinner with Dani Pedrosa.

Wish I was 30 years younger and had a rich daddy. :D

Here's to hoping for a future street-able version.
    Always liked Dani too.
    dtysdalx2 likes this.
  13. Tanshanomi

Tanshanomi Your Favorite Uncle Supporter

Oddometer:
    Today I want a two-stroke cruiser. This Honda TA150 Phantom would fit the bill.

_1172496_1570893808.webp-01.jpg
  14. msahern5

msahern5 Jumping at Shadows

Oddometer:
    E935005C-08D1-474B-8C3C-050EC5F43894.jpeg
    My W650, about $6k invested including purchase price, Andreani cartridges, Nitron shocks, Mitas tires and high level exhaust. I have gotten a couple of years of trouble free service out of it in this configuration. [/QUOTE]
    jon_l, MoreCheese, sgmarshall and 5 others like this.
  15. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never seen a 2 stroke cruiser. Doesn't it go a bit against the grain of what a cruiser is?

PS. Not bagging 2 strokes, I'm a huge fan and have a few.
    Philthy64 likes this.
  16. Tanshanomi

Oddometer:
    Exactly why I’d want one.

0A0172BD-E531-4A3A-B2D2-38DDD6F32F70.jpeg
    DFD58997-747E-4BFF-860C-3D084451F441.jpeg
    8759D98D-20B1-4907-864E-7AAC8C789B96.jpeg
    511235DB-1167-420C-8048-3744A7F6C924.jpeg
    E9C5C68E-AF66-4A0D-83F8-365A64DD2868.jpeg
    Philthy64 likes this.
  17. markk53

Oddometer:
    A shameful waste of a good Bultaco...

[​IMG]

I'm betting even with the perforated stinger it is deafening. I know my Sherpa S 175 was.

I'd much rather see that engine in something like this:

[​IMG]

The bike I want back... every day.
    msahern5 likes this.
  18. Tanshanomi

Oddometer:
    Meh. It's a junkyard dog. A whole lot more Bultaco engines and frames have survived than tanks, wheels, forks, seats...
    markk53 likes this.
  19. Dorzok

Dorzok Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. Tanshanomi

Oddometer:
    I was working in a Yamaha dealership at the time. The "regular" RX50 Special shown was sold through the usual channels in both red and black. The RX50 Midnight Special with a gloss black engine and gold-tone trim panels on the side covers was the freebee. They were sent out to high-volume dealers, gratis, to raffle off or sell as they wished. We called it the "Midnight Chainsaw."

Yamaha-RX50-Midnight-Special-Right-Side.webp-01.jpg
    ridenm, MoreCheese, Philthy64 and 6 others like this.