What bike do you want today?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by fivehitsweak, Jun 3, 2010.

1. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Instrumentation I would like on the bike I'd like today...

You guys don't get it. Engine ECU, fly by wire injection, and all that is just peachy. It is about having a bunch of digital instrumentation with peripheral digital waste on the handlebars. A lot of money for some 6x8 inch screen in front of me in all digital read out, most of which is of minimal value and taking up space or causing poor design of the part of the instrument I need - the speedometer and tachometer.

That is what some of us are talking about. A preference for simple informative instrumentation. You don't see a Pro Stock or NASCAR sedan with unnecessary gauges. I never really thought "I need a thermometer" when I was riding freezing my ass off, it was pretty clear to me I was freaking cold and it was cold out, same with when it is hot. We are not asking for opinions why we are wrong or how much easier something is. We are telling you why we would like what we would like and why we don't like paying for stuff we don't want or use.

I occasionally will look at the engine temperature, but seldom, it's got a fan in the system and an idiot light. I have a pretty good sense for the ambient temperature - I'm either cold, hot, or comfortable - so the ambient temperature read out is a waste. I have two trip meters that are a pain in the butt to zero out, pressing this button and that one and holding one or the other... but don't screw up or you will have switched to kph (for a US rider) or mph (for others) really messing with you when the speedo jumps from 55 to 88 or vice versa. And so I don't kill myself, I have to pull off the road and try to remember the magic button combination to get it back to what I need.

The picture below totally shows what we would prefer in one form or another.

[​IMG]

I'd take that on my XSR with the right cups anytime. And I am sure both instruments are electronically driven, only analog is the needle activation. My wife's '20 Honda HR-V has analog tach and speedo needle activation.

The problem I have with digital read out is exactly that, you have to read it. If you don't, how do you know if it is a 5 or a 6? But once I am used to an analog readout I can glance down at the needle location and know within 5 mph how fast I am going. I don't care what anyone else experiences on this, I am telling you what I am experiencing, so no opinion on this is needed. I am explaining why some of us like what we like.

The analog speedo above can be interpreted at a glance, just like the tach, straight up and down, 12 o'clock, is about 70 mph and 3 o'clock is time to shift when running hard and attention to the road is important, cruising in town is likely around 10 o'clock in fourth. In other words I don't have to actually read the numbers, it's about where the needle points. Plus on a tach a rider can see the sweep and anticipate shifting. Drag racers still run analog gauges for that very reason. You will see they have the tachs rotated to have the shift point rpm at 12 o'clock so when the needle approaches they hit the gear.

This is what I got:

[​IMG]

See that tiny ribbon around the outer part of the LCD screen? That's the freaking excuse for a tachometer read out! Nice numbering too. I have 20/10 vision with my bifocals and I have a tough time reading those little numbers when riding. We got more black space than instrument area, but that's what one gets these days. I could live with the design if it actually had a decent tach read out and sweep, but it doesn't. I'm not a fan of the digital speed read out either. I'd trade it for the new Kaw instruments in black in a heart beat.

EDIT: I forgot to add if they want to stick something useful on the bike, set up cruise control. Take all the other goofy toy stuff and give me the ability to set the cruise for the highway. I'd even pay more for that!
    busa1300, rkover1, gymply and 5 others like this.
  2. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road Supporter

Oddometer:
    are you saying that TFT displays will never fail? What will it cost to replace them if they do?
  3. jfauerba

jfauerba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Digital can sort of emulate analog. Check out the tack on the Z400:
    upload_2021-10-15_11-14-31.png
  4. Tanshanomi

Tanshanomi Your Favorite Uncle Supporter

Oddometer:
    042_Can-Am-Spyder-RT-S-051-CLOCKS.webp-01.jpg

both-taco.gif
    mrbreeze likes this.
  5. DeepBarney

DeepBarney International Bumbler

Oddometer:
    Y'all be picky. Just enjoy the ride. If the trees and traffic start coming up too fast, let off the throttle a tad and cruise on. We ride the bike not the instrument cluster.
    jon_l, Kikemon, dovetailredux and 3 others like this.
  6. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    E11E8DD8-79D3-4630-9C47-C8C265755C4D.gif
    Philthy64 and davyjones like this.
  7. sleepyOwl

sleepyOwl Long timer

Oddometer:
    United Kingdom of her Majesty's Tax Collectors
    s-l1600.jpg
    msahern5, TonyKZ1, Bors and 3 others like this.
  8. markk53

Oddometer:

Technically it is analog, analog being a continuous variable sweeping motion. It will use what is perceived as a sweeping motion with a very visible pointer. It is also a major improvement over the one on the XSR for visability. Still has the bigass numbers speedo.

@Tanshanomi I agree, why can't we have both, but I know it's a cost thing. It's cheaper to put the same thing on all the bikes than doing two different ones and guessing how many of each will be sold. It would be interesting to have a plug-and-play option for the high line one while having the basic unit to start. Indian kind of has that on the FTR, the top one having all kinds of toys in its TFT monitor.

Tell that to the drag racers, road racers, track day riders, and people who just want to wring it out a bit without floating valves or, these days, banging off the rev limiter really hard.

If I could actually read my tach easily I'd be able to know how many gears I want to drop to blow by another vehicle in a passing zone (within the speed limit of course :augie).

Obviously it didn't stop me from buying, but I'd really love to have a decent tach and an analog speedometer.

If all I wanted to do was chug along I would have enjoyed a cruiser... just not happening. :nah Tried it and it sucked. Part of my enjoyment with a street bike includes use of the instruments. Now dual sporting/off road it's more how it feels to know when to shift up or down.

But thanks for visiting... :wave
    DeepBarney likes this.
  9. OnTheNaughtyStep

OnTheNaughtyStep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Of course not - but solid state devices tend to be more reliable than mechanical devices.
  10. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    and less end-user serviceable...:bluduh
  11. psycho klr

psycho klr Same psycho, now with less klr Supporter

Oddometer:
    South Central, Wisconsin, Not da udder one
    The speedo needle is actually at 75mph at 12 o'clock and the tach needle at 12 o'clock is at 6000rpm which is also the torque peak of the Z900RS. Edit to add that the LCD display in the middle has a lot of available info that you can choose to display, 2 tripmeters, odometer, ambient temp, average mpg since trip A reset, real time mpg, estimated range to empty and a few other things I'm probably forgetting.
    markk53 likes this.
  12. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    For fucks sake guys...on topic. Analog gauges have been driven by solid state electronics for a long time, and even when the were mechanical you couldn't service them without special parts and expertise. That's why even old and grizzled BMW Airhead guys have to send their good old "serviceable" mechanical gauges off to experts and pay MORE than you can buy a new repro gauge for to get it done.

My god Markk53, have you ever passed up a tangent post without creating a (or several) 5 paragraph long essay on why your opinion is correct? You are an expert tread derailer and can certainly fill an entire page with argumentative posts with anyone silly enough to disagree with you on tangencies. I appreciate you cleaning some of that up in another thread lately, but would encourage you to just let a few things you disagree with go unless they have something to do with the thread title. You've no cause to be snarky, as your opinion is no more valid than anyone else's. "But thanks for visiting" :fpalm

Today I want this R1250R that is available locally. Stonking torquey engine (same torque as a KTM SuperDuke), good traditional forks with a decent amount of travel, good pannier integration, great fuel mileage.

[​IMG]

I forget who it was that posted one a while back. I'm still torn about the R vs the GS, but today this one is winning. Not that I am ready to pull the trigger....
    Peels, JHG67, Matt-J2 and 6 others like this.
  13. psycho klr

psycho klr Same psycho, now with less klr Supporter

Oddometer:
    South Central, Wisconsin, Not da udder one
    I was looking at these recently because of the recommendation of another inmate and I was shocked at how much torque they have. It has to be an excellent street bike engine.
  14. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road Supporter

Oddometer:
    Today it’s the NC750X

1878D66A-77E8-42FC-814C-08C101B9DD45.jpeg
  15. DeepBarney

DeepBarney International Bumbler

Oddometer:
    I feel like that's a bike they should've put a belt or shaft drive and hydraulic lifters on. People wanting sensible, low hassle commuter seems to be the target demographic after all.

I've been curious to see how they ride vs a Ninja or z650.
    LuvPop, jon_l, fastring and 2 others like this.
  16. markk53

Oddometer:
    Nope!

Seriously, don't you get any enjoyment out of ranging around a bit in a forum? It's like an after hours motorcycle shop talk session in a bike shop - things range around, going off on tangents. I can tell you that from about 20 years of participation in such sessions.

It isn't hard to block someone, plus it is a breeze to scroll past posts. Scroll past them when you see my name. I won't feel bad about it. :thumb
    jon_l likes this.
  17. sleepyOwl

sleepyOwl Long timer

Oddometer:
    United Kingdom of her Majesty's Tax Collectors
    I like this today

245643682_4559741317379986_4359472839590280987_n.jpg
  18. richarddacat

richarddacat No fruit in my cookies! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ah….the heat from a Harley would feel good as we creep into Fall :rofl like from an old ElectraGlide?:rofl
    mrbreeze likes this.
  19. markk53

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Great looking, kinda mean "Alien" thing going there. Don't normally like the new headlight stuff, but that one is right.
    ishmac, dtysdalx2 and busa1300 like this.
  20. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    ^I wouldn't object to a bit of a windscreen on there to smooth out the air (and the front end looks) a bit...