What bike do you want today?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by fivehitsweak, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Chickenstrip

Chickenstrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please sir, can I have one of these?

triumphSpeedTriple1200RR.jpg
    alpina, gymply, Wildmtn and 9 others like this.
  2. psycho klr

psycho klr Same psycho, now with less klr Supporter

Oddometer:
    South Central, Wisconsin, Not da udder one
    That sent me running to the Triumph website to see what it was, the $21,000 base price had me looking from side to side while backing out the door.

I get why it's expensive, but I wish they could have had a base model without the electronic, semi-active suspension and slightly downgraded brakes along with some good quality, fully adjustable, non-Ohlins suspension components that could squeak in under $18,000. I mean Ducati sells the Monster 1200S with Ohlins front and back for $17,600 or the striking Panigale V2 even cheaper at $17,200. I see this bike as kind of a mixture of those two.
  3. YamaLink

YamaLink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. OnTheNaughtyStep

OnTheNaughtyStep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is very nice - looks like a good old man's trackday bike to me. I'd be tempted if I were in the game of giving Thaiumph money - which I'm not - will keep an eye our for used ones in a couple of years time.
  5. dovetailredux

dovetailredux bakery hound

Oddometer:
    It's a really nice bike for a smaller person, but I think it's not safe for most North American or European roads: it simply can't keep up with traffic. My wife had one, I've never been so scared of a bike, lol.
  6. dovetailredux

Oddometer:
    Wow, what a beautifully designed machine. Very lust-worthy. It has a very steep rake angle which makes me question how nice it would be to ride anywhere but the track.
    Rick G likes this.
  7. r0ckrat

r0ckrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I posted this a few pages ago. It would be absolutely stellar on any of the many canyon and mountain roads surrounding the Los Angeles basin...
    ChopperCharles likes this.
  8. Chickenstrip

Chickenstrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wasn't aware of the 20+ grand price tag ... yeah, I can only dream of owning that machine. You make some good points with the price comparisons, too. Personally, I'm more a fan of the triple.
    psycho klr likes this.
  9. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    You mean this bike?
    IMG_5267.JPG

Two years ago I'd have said I'd never sell it. Today I am... well, not totally closed off to the idea anymore.

Charles.
  10. OnTheNaughtyStep

Oddometer:
    A CX scrambler - that's so naff it's cool - love it!
  11. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup. It's a 79 frame with an 83 650 motor, GL500 wiring harness and gauges, converted to monoshock using a GL500 swingarm and a Hayabusa rear shock. The driveshaft is custom (front end from a CX back end from a GL), front forks and brakes are off a GSXR750 (retains the speedo drive). Topped it off with a set of Mikuni VM34 round slides from Murray, along with the machined intakes.

I stole the carbs off of it for the EX500 street fighter I was working on, and have recently sold to a friend. So I'll buy another ($500) set of carbs and the CX will be back on the road shortly.

Charles.
  12. psycho klr

psycho klr Same psycho, now with less klr Supporter

Oddometer:
    South Central, Wisconsin, Not da udder one
    That is very well done, I especially like the old school Honda wing logos on the back of the pod filters.
  13. OnTheNaughtyStep

Oddometer:
    Nice great work.
  14. dovetailredux

Oddometer:
    I suspect your pavement is a lot smoother than what is typical here in Canada. I think that bike, while beautiful to look at, would be punishing to ride except on a track in our fair land.
    r0ckrat likes this.
  15. misanthropic

misanthropic Zero

Oddometer:
    821BE615-AFBB-4100-AC1C-AACB517FCE54.jpeg Test road one of these today. Liked it a lot. Way more than I expected to. The dealer wanted 3500 bucks above MSRP. :rolleyes
    PeterTrocewicz and thebigman like this.
  16. MattR302

MattR302 Awesomeness, Inc.

Oddometer:
    FYI, he’s doing that on the Revzilla channel with a “Daily Rider” series now
  17. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's it. Great colors and the spokes had to be a chunk of change to build. I forget, but did any model of Wing come with spokes? Thanks for posting the picture.

In thinking about it, building a CX500 adventure bike could be done considering how high the engine was in the chassis. Some longer travel forks, a bit longer shocks on the back, maybe some swing arm lengthening. But it would need the 650 power, not quite as peaky as the 500s were. Could be interesting.
  18. Karlfitt

Karlfitt Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

That is a nice looking bike

And this sis some very good work here, I like it too.
  19. SilveradoCA

SilveradoCA Wildling

Oddometer:
    So pretty. I think this is the best of the VFRs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  20. OnTheNaughtyStep

Oddometer:
    As an ex-sportbike man I always assumed I'd hate Harleys - however, I've always enjoyed them whenever I've ridden them - yeah they are dynamically limited but they have a certain charm. I can see why people who are not in too much of a hurry love 'em.
    PeterTrocewicz likes this.