What bike to buy in India

Discussion in 'Asia' started by AlienMotorcycleMama, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Chat Lunatique

Chat Lunatique aka El Gato Loco

Oddometer:
    Hey alien mama! I completed a 9 month ride around India last year on a 500 Bullet. Your right, too big and heavy. Check out the Flying Dutchman Epic Rides postings. He's ridden round the world and used a KTM 390 Duke in India and considered it to be the best bike he's ridden in his travels .

On a more serious note.....riding around India is not for the faint of heart. Riding in Goa is child's play compared to riding in the rest of the country.....seriously!
  2. AlienMotorcycleMama

AlienMotorcycleMama Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry again for not getting back on here sooner, but I've been getting lost in Goa on my scooter while deciding about the bike. :lol3

And it's good to see what Shivanshu did on a 150, because I have committed to the FZ-S. It's supposedly on its way to Panji right now, so I'm taking money out of my account to get ready to pay for it.

I did ride the Bajaj, but it was definitely WAY too big and at just under one lakh in cost, the Yamaha seems perfect. So, my next question for you Indians is, once it arrives (hopefully in a week), WHERE do I get to get the accessories I need? I'm used to being able to get them at dealers in the US, but at least here in Goa, that's a no go.

I'd like a rack and sissy bar if possible, DEFINITELY a pair of saddle bags (I'll settle for soft) and a ram-mount or the like to hold my iPhone. (And a tank bag wouldn't be bad either.)

I know I can buy mail order, but all the import fees are VERY pricey (I ordered bedding from a US company and paid a FORTUNE) so I'd rather buy in country.

I'm getting antsy about riding (I've been putting a lot of kilometers on my rental scooter) and really am looking forward to something that has gears. (I swore I'd never ride/drive an automatic vehicle, and I've been on one for four months.)

I'm also curious about where I might be able to get detailed road maps of the various Indian states. My cell coverage is spotty so my GPS maps don't work well, and I've spent a lot of time not knowing exactly where I am when trying to find places. :-( My first out-of-Goa trip will be to Hampi in June, and I'd like to be able to get there w/out getting TOO lost.

Again, thanks for everything and I hope to meet some of you natives once I get the bike!
  3. AlienMotorcycleMama

Oddometer:
    OK, finally good news. After suffering through the Indian system of buying something like a motorcycle (what is it with these guys and paperwork?), I am now the proud owner of a 2017 Yamaha FZ-S. Licensed, tagged and insured, so I can finally head out of Goa when I'm ready.

The ride home was cool once I got the hang of downshifting again (four months on a twist-n-go scooter was a bit long), and I'm hoping that the rains now hold off long enough for me to get in a few rides. My only concern — and help me, Indian folks — is none of the on-line India accessory companies will take my credit cards!!!!

I've found a great set of saddle bags on Cramster (and free shipping all June) and a tank/ tail/backpack, iPhone holder and a waterproof camera bag on Outdoor Travel Gear.com. But I have no idea how to PAY for what I want so I can get it shipped to me. :-(

I'd buy from elsewhere, but I tried that on some household items, and the import fees were outrageous.

Anyway, picture of the bike and odo showing 20 km at home (it has two when I bought it), and as its raining again, who knows when I'll next go out but it'll be soon! New bike odo.jpg New bike.jpg
    DuaKembara likes this.
  4. AlienMotorcycleMama

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I know. But I'm slowly getting braver and I do HOPE to avoid riding in the biggest cities. (I'll park somewhere and take public transport.)
  5. Koonzee

Koonzee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Alien Motorcycle Mama: Congratulations and thank you for the update! I hope you enjoy your new ride and future tours/adventures. Take care & ride safely!