What bike will you be riding to Alaska in '08?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by spraypilot, Jan 3, 2008.

1. spraypilot

spraypilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What bike will you be riding to Alaska in 2008 and a little imput as to why you chose your steed?
  2. jpaige

jpaige Adventurer in training

Oddometer:
    Vstrom DL1000. Mainly because my brother had bought a Tiger 955 the month before, and the extra 40 cc's effectively makes my penis an inch longer than his. And I think it's pretty:D
  3. Exurban

Exurban Long timer

Oddometer:
    1200 GS. I wanted a more upright, comfortable ride for cross-country and the versatility of off/dirt road capability. Original plan was for the K1200S but my decrepit body can't do those kinds of miles on it anymore and I hate being on it when the roads are torn up. And I'm not so decrepit that I should be riding a tourer. And I wanted a BMW so chicks will dig me. :D
  4. Jack Daniel

Jack Daniel See Ya At The Swamp Supporter

Oddometer:
    Upcoming Huh? :lol3
  5. Hog Rider

Hog Rider The Professor

Oddometer:
    Just because its the bike that is going to do the trip.
  6. Ryan

Ryan Flugistani

Oddometer:
    An FJR1300, 'cause it's already paid for, has lots of fuel, lots of lights, is already dirty and scratched up, and because I'm stupid enough to do it.

It looks like the best tires for that job on this bike are Pirelli Scorpion Syncs. Any suggestions? :ear

Sorry, but I really don't wanna start a "Best Alaska tires on a sport tourer" thread....

Ryan
  7. F.P.

F.P. Clown who is sick

Oddometer:
    07' R1200GSA...I bought it for the Alaska 08 trip.
    Why? I turned 40 in 07 and WTF...
    I cannot WAIT!!!
  8. Archangel

Archangel GS Heaven

Oddometer:
    Hopefully, my new F800GS but then again I just saw the Varadero coming to Canada thread. :huh
  9. TCBronson

TCBronson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a 2007 Vstrom 1000 just for my trip on June 7th. I had a 650 Vstrom and thought it was great, but felt that the 1000 would do better on the interstate, and it does. I added a few items to make it fit me and it should be the perfect bike for the trip. Could have bought a used 2005 BMW GS 1200 at a good price, but for $3000 less I bought a new DL 1000. However, if I can find a way to buy a Varadero and bring it back to Arkansas, before June, then I would sell the Vstrom and go on the 2008 Varadero!
  10. malagato

malagato Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 1995 KLR, cause thats what I have, its paid for, it has proven itself capable in the past, carries my gear, I know where everything goes, is easy to fix, and brings a smile to my heart....
  11. Geezerider

Geezerider Just coastin'

Oddometer:
    Burgman 650.

Gas mileage/range, storage area, comfort, wind protection, YGBSM factor.
  12. RV'nGS'r

RV'nGS'r Homeless trailer trash

Oddometer:
    2000 BMW R1150GS with 71K on the clock. It did it in 05 for the Last Frontier Rally, 'spect it'll do it again! Lesson learned - Forward ship tires to Fairbanks and slap em on there. Maybe the sharp rocks on the D Haul road won't pokes holes in a fresh Tourance. Leaving the gulf coast (Pensacola area) fresh rubber for cheap insurance anyway.
  13. SFmax

SFmax Guest

03 KTM adv. After her perfomance last year I wouldn't consider bringing anything else. Except maybe an 07 if I could afford to trade for a new one.
  14. tvbh40a

tvbh40a PSUViking

Oddometer:
    Idaho home of the fiesta bowl champ BSU bronco's
    On my KTM 990. A little more dirt oriented then my GS was. And it is what I own.
  15. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    A man after my own heart! :clap :clap :clap Ride whatever is practical for you.

It's always interesting to read about riders thinking they have to have the biggest and baddest "adventure" bike to ride to Alaska. Especially when I see friends riding around here on anything that has two wheels and doing just fine. Know of several young men who headed off to college somewhere in the South 48 on bikes that most riders wouldn't consider taking to the corner store in these days of high tech, but they made it just fine, and kept riding them until snow hit wherever it was they were enrolled. It ain't yer granddad's Alcan anymore!

If it's comfortable, reliable, and you know how to ride it, any bike will do. Afraid of gravel? Practice a little before you leave home. Any street bike can make it at least to the Arctic Circle, and a good rider can make it to Deadhorse on any bike that won't break, and in most any weather.

I ain't good, just lucky, but my street bikes have taken me up and down the Alcan numerous times, and most places in Alaska as well. So if a person wants to come up here and help feed our mosquito population, do the maintenance on whatever bike you got, throw a leg over it, and point it north. All it is, is (s)miles.
  16. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jack is that you?

Re Bikes I took my Goldwing up in 2006, comfy but a nightmare in loose gravel wet construction

This June Susan 650 GS, Marc 1150 GS and me, my KTM 990

I met a guy last time on a Springer who had just been to Deadhorse.

He had a nice custom painted fuel tank with a flaming eyeball and a red plastic aux tank ( 3 gallon can I think). His bike was a mess and he was having the best time.

It is always the rider not the bike
  17. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, it be me.

The Wing can be a bit of a handful in sloppy stuff. Mine is equipped with a car snow tire, so has much less trouble than one with a m/c tire. But even with the ME880, merely standing up in the pegs to negotiate the loose stuff makes a world of difference. A couple of years ago, riding south out of Haines Jct I hit some sand that had the Wing in 1st gear to keep moving. Kept me alert, I'll tell you. :eek1

That Shakwak Project in the Yukon has been going on for years, and the first time I took the Concours through it I was pretty timid - holding the speed to around 30 mph. By the last time I took that bike through there, after several trips over the years, I hit a patch of loose gravel unexpectedly at around 70 mph. Never let the bike drop below 60 and sailed right on through it. The bikes are, for the most part, capable of much more than we give them credit for. Sometimes it's hard to convince the sphincter muscles of that, though. :rofl

That assortment of bikes should go far to make it an enjoyable trip - so long as Marc's GS's final drive can complete the ride. :wink:

The places I've seen HD's being taken over the years has often had me shaking my head. Not all riders of the Motor Company's products limit them to city riding. Two buddies of mine rode a pair from Michigan to Fairbanks back in '63 and had a ball. The Alcan is a super highway now by comparison, and the bikes are soooo much better. But not all of us can be Dick Fish. :D
  18. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jack,

I think we have that covered :rofl

Marc's final drive failed last year ! :lol3 :lol3
  19. coop74

coop74 Deal's Gap Junkie

Oddometer:
    03 Vee Strom... still sorting out the pannier situation. I now have 3 sets in the garage.....

Coop
  20. GhostriderADV

GhostriderADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2004 F 650 GS

Great bike, lots of torque, easy to fix, looks okay, paid off.