1. eNewsletter Sign Up

What bikes sell well in Alaska/Best bikes for Alaska?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by turbonotch, Apr 12, 2009.

1. turbonotch

turbonotch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've ridden, enjoyed, and sold a bunch of bikes over the years. As an enduro racer - I lean towards thumpers. But I appreciate the occasional V-twin or Inline motor.

I've recently been considering a ride to Prudahoe. While I've done 10,000 mile round trip jaunts in 3 weeks.... I personally don't PREFER that style of riding.... it detracts from the wild flowers :rofl

For this run, I'm leaning more toward a lazy 250 mile/day jaunt - one way. And fly home.

So my question is:

If I were to buy a bike, outfit it, and ride it to Prudahoe Bay... than to return to say... Fairbanks or Anchorage and sell it... what bikes draw the best resale rate? What's in demand up there?

I'm not picky. I'll set up a BMW, KLR, Harley, V-strom, whatever.... every bike has it's own style/character and I like them all... I'm more concerned with what bike I can sell to break even or for very little loss in Alaska! Obviously, something like a KLR or V-strom is ALWAYS going to have less conventional depreciation. But I know up in Alaska cost and value can sometimes shift based on availability or desirability.

I've considered making the run on my KLX650, but range is a big issue. Besides, I can't help but think that a bike with more wind protection and a better seat would make for a better trip.

Thank Guys!

:norton
  2. Nanuq

Nanuq Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer:
    Point Hope, Sitka & Biorka Island- all in Alaska
    I like KLR's and people seem to be attracted to them here. But it's hard to say. I defer to the Friar.
    :D
  3. Advdave

Advdave jubilado

Oddometer:
    Spicy's new toy.
  4. See-Double-You

See-Double-You Long timer

Oddometer:
    KLR seems like a no brainer to me. They're cheap new, cheaper used, and loosing say 30% of the purchase price to facilitate a quick sale results in minimal impact compared to other brands/models.
  5. One Eye Mike

One Eye Mike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd go with the KLR. And I don't belive there's an "A" in Prudhoe. :D
  6. turbonotch

Oddometer:
    i'm just curious if there is any sort of DEMAND for a certain bike in Alaska? seems like the Natives are saying KLR?

for my purposes (a damn long ride through canada) i've got to believe a used DL650/DL1000 will be the most comfortable... never ridden one - just a guess. but i've been seeing them used for a decent price of ~$4k. while a decent KLR is about $3k... in my experience - though prices be down.

but if a certain bike... be it a KLR650 or a Harley Sportster.... seemed to gather a great price or demand up there - well heck - I'd rock one for a month just to keep it smooth :evil
  7. turbonotch

Oddometer:
    i stand corrected... but it rolls off the tongue (and is way funnier) that way :evil
  8. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Another vote for KLR here.

Or maybe a V-Strom.

Good luck, Mark H.
  9. AKTroy

AKTroy BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer:
    If you can find a Strom for 4 grand it will hands down treat you better on a long trip better then the KLR. Just my very bias opinion.
  10. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    The bike that appears to sell the best here in Fairbanks is (gulp) the Harley. I do not think you can count on any bike being swooped up quickly in Fairbanks. The market is just not that large. I agree with the posts above that the KLR is a good choice because of cost. You should consider ending your trip in Anchorage where there is a much larger market and working out a consignment arrangement with a dealer.
  11. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:
    FWIW...you MIGHT consider a rental...It seem you can get a KLR for $110 a day.....so, you rent one for $2500, have some mechanical backup since it is a rental and be on your merry way versus waiting around to sell something....Alaska can be very funky as far as selling/buying anything.

http://akrider.com/
  12. RDJEff

RDJEff Lost in Alaska

Oddometer:
    It doesn't look like anything is selling around here lately! Wanna buy an '02 V-Strom and ride it home?:deal
  13. turbonotch

Oddometer:
    good call on arranging consignment in Anchorage.... that is something I could call about ahead of time to test the waters on.

i'd prefer not to ride a Harley - if for no other reason than the higher cost of initial purchase and the fact that i'm not usually comfortable on them.
  14. turbonotch

Oddometer:
    interesting... i guess that would be a means to the same ends - wouldn't it?:evil

how much ya want for it? :D
  15. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:
    to that same end....I ended actually selling my 05 strom to Alaska Rider.....so, plan 4.3a might be to buy Jeff's bike and talk to Alaska Rider and see if they got a smoking deal if they wanted to add something to their quiver.
  16. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    Its hard to say and to sell a bike when you want just may not work at that time but the KLR would most likely be the one easy to sell. Not to mention with the way things are going in this country money wise it will most likely be hard sell anyway.
  17. Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer:
    Since you all asked...here's my vote...

[​IMG]

Check out all the sweet places you can go with it...!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. turbonotch

Oddometer:
    i've always like Urals... but man that would be one LONG, slow ride from NJ :deal

that said - for long rides - sometimes slower is better :norton

that's why 2 lane is my route of choice :clap
  19. Paulmer

Paulmer F' this, I'm going riding

Oddometer:
    You can beat these things into the road and they keep on going! :1drink
    [​IMG]
  20. turbonotch

Oddometer:
    yeah - i'm thinking a V-strom may be the next street bike to keep an eye out for. My last street bike was a Superhawk 996 with handlebars instead of clip-ons. So it was already REALLY close to the V-strom concept.

The V-strom fixes the short coming of what I was trying to do with the superhawk... better ground clearance, 19" front rim, longer range... but it still has one of those SWEET V-twins.

The arguement of DL-1000 vs. DL-650 will make your head spin though! They're both great bikes. I prefer the 1000's power and ability to still muscle around 2-up and loaded. But I prefer the 650's range and weight.

In the end... they're both good choices and VERY easy to find used with many nice farkles. Deal's a-plenty: searched for an hour and found 2 DL-650s with under 20k miles for $3-4k obo on Ebay/Craigslist. DL1000s seem to run about $1000 more.

The KLR is a decent bike. But I already own a KLX which is really close. Great survivor bike and good for 2-lane/gravel. I know it COULD do the trip - but it isn't the ideal tool for the job IMHO.

Along those lines though - I've had day dreams of buying an old XT225 or DR350 and cruising it up there at 55-60mph for a few weeks then selling it to the first buyer I could find with $500 to pay for the flight back :norton