1. eNewsletter Sign Up

What bikes sell well in Alaska/Best bikes for Alaska?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by turbonotch, Apr 12, 2009.

1. RDJEff

RDJEff Lost in Alaska

Oddometer:
    PM sent.
  2. gsilvernale

gsilvernale Lowlander

Oddometer:
    Two years ago, my son and I rode to Alaska - put the bikes on craigsList in Anchorage, sold them within hours, and flew home.

2001 BMW 650 Dakar and 2003 Kawaski Zr7s. Package price of $5000.
    I could probably have gotten $1000 more - but I wanted to be sure that they sold.

I think that any adventure bike early in the summer (June) will sell quickly, if the price is right. Buy a $4000 bike in the lower 48, ride it there and sell it for $3000.

Note that flying to Alaska is cheaper then riding. By the time you factor in hotels, food on the road, gas, tires.....

But the ride was wonderful and I would love to do it again. If you can manage to keep it to 250 miles a day, thats great. We averaged 400 miles a day, which I thought was a good pace. It was constant riding, other than breaks every hour or so, lunch, gas, seeing the sites, for about 10 hours each day. Usually 10 AM to 8 PM days.

Obviously you could turn it into a race, but that was not the point for us. If we had more time, we would have gone slower.
  3. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    [SIZE=+1]I wish you would send me a PM. :cry Just sent you one.[/SIZE]
  4. Nanuq

Nanuq Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer:
    Point Hope, Sitka & Biorka Island- all in Alaska
    :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
  5. vermin

vermin unrepentant thinner

Oddometer:
    what you need is a free and I mean free reliable plasticized vtwin 800 with shaft drive.

There is one aching to go to Prudhoe bay in Subybajas back yard first come first serve.

vermin
  6. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    I might be in the market for a 955 Tiger.
  7. SlabH8r

SlabH8r n00b

Oddometer:
    I would do a search of which dealers are available in various locations that provide service. Do a search on their web pages to identify dual purpose used bikes for sale at those dealers and the price. Look for models that are not readily available. Then score a good buy in the lower 48. I traveled from Kansas City to the Arctic Circle during the summer of 2008 and back. I loved the R1200GS but I think the cost would prohibit a quick sale. I didn't see many dual sport bikes on dealer floors, but of course, at 70 + mph it was a quick look :lol3