1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

What cooling vests for Oz heat & humidity?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Blakduk, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    I've had a bit of a search through AdvRider and not a lot of information, just 'the one I've got is great' sort of stuff.
    It needs to be able to go under real armour.
    I'm trying to do some googling and stuff but have a few thousand words of reports to write for other stuff, and want to order one soon so it'l arrive when my Tiger will be here in a month or so and I want to (for the first time in years) actually ride over the summer months. I really hate the heat and humidity.
    Some vests use water cooling like the old water bags for bullbars, some use ice or something. I know that apparently over 35degrees one should avoid airflow rather than have open gauze - something about the black bitumen heat being worse...
    Anyway all that aside, any recommendations? I don't mind spending the $$ for a good one. It's my only hobby so I plan on doing it properly. Here's a couple of images.
    http://www.advridermag.com.au/latest-macna-cooling-vest-is-now-available/
    [​IMG]

http://www.icevests.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=285&osCsid=1lmnc8m56ggim3sieff0kirt26
    [​IMG]
    Cuttlefish and nevgriff64 like this.
  2. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    Go down to northside motorcycle tyres and service and they have one for customers to borrow and try
    GodSilla, Suncoaster and Blakduk like this.
  3. dunc

dunc Coddiwompler

Oddometer:
  4. Suncoaster

Suncoaster Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where the girls are green and the grass is pretty.
    Revit Challenger here, it zips into a Revit jacket as a liner and uses those water/jelly crystals for evaporative cooling.
    As has been said, it works ok for 1-2 hours, then needs another soak.
    Needs to be taken out of the jacket first. The type you fill up may be easier.
    I soak it in a plastic bag with some water from a water bottle.

Edit:
    Keep it and camelbak bladders in a freezer to stop them going off in summer.
    GodSilla, Blakduk and mrsdnf like this.
  5. farqhuar

farqhuar Human guinea pig

Oddometer:
    Cheapest option is to do what I do.

Stop at a servo, take off your jacket and t-shirt, soak it with cold water, put jacket back on, and rinse/repeat every hour.
    Dukehunt likes this.
  6. Blakduk

Oddometer:
    Yep that’s a cheap option. I’m hoping to support the economy a bit more than that...
    And perhaps not frig around quite as often at servos.
  7. Uncle Crumpet

Uncle Crumpet Long timer

Oddometer:
    we used to use the gel filled ones for the Traffic Control guys on site which were great, (they stopped passing out), only problem is you need to put them in the fridge or freezer at the end of the day. Could work if you stayed in motels each night?
  8. Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish Riding to disappear.

Oddometer:
    Didn't know about the first two vests you posted links to Blakduk. Had seen the other ones that you soak in water. Almost bought a Leatt one before but was also going to use it for work in summer when I'm cooking food in outdoor markets and being cooked myself with the heat and humidity. The ones you soak weren't so attractive for me as my shorts soaked with water from the vest isn't the best look in public and they apparently lose their effectiveness in higher humidity conditions.
  9. Blakduk

Oddometer:
    I bought one and so did a mate. I'll tell youse how they go.
  10. Dances With Roos

Dances With Roos Bikenomad

Oddometer:
    Bandana wet down with water tied loosely round neck.
    Re soak as required.
    Dances with roos
  11. dunc

dunc Coddiwompler

Oddometer:
  12. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Which one? The Magna?
  13. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    What did you decide on?

The website you posted a link to (Cool Down Australia) has got some interesting options, but difficult to know which way to jump without a better handle on how well the different products work

Seemed that some were targeted at sports use (tennis etc), where you can refrigerate / freeze the vest, then use it for a short time - not really a good moto option in most cases - others had replaceable panels, but couldn't see where you got additional panels from - couldn't find them on this site - and how to carry them on a bike, keeping cool? - simpler options might be best - big variance in price

But anyway, be good to know - also how well what you've got works - still cool here, but it'll heat up soon
  14. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    if it's that hot, you'll find me around the pool, jet ski, or air conditioning :wink:
  15. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Screenshot_2020-10-19-12-21-19-84.jpg
    Nilak Black - H20 - General purpose cool vest. $80
    With INUTEQ H2O technology, comfortable materials and a slim fit, this vest offers great evaporative cooling capacity in the hottest environments. Activation is easy. Just soak in fresh water for max 2 minutes and squeeze out gently any excess water and your vest is good to go again. Instantly creating evaporative cooling up to 8 hours, depending on the ambient temperature, humidity and airflow.
  16. bikeroz

bikeroz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Almost all evaporative cooling vests requires some form of airflow and does not work very well in extreme humid conditions.
    So if you wanna use it in a market, get a fan in front of it to promote air flow if you can.
    Cuttlefish likes this.
  17. Blakduk

Oddometer:
    Macna coming in the mail.
    Cruz likes this.
  18. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Will be interesting to see how it goes. Cool morning starts and just leave the water out of the vest until the weather warms up.
  19. grrant1058

grrant1058 Motorcyclist 24/7

Oddometer:
    Dutch technology with Macna just down the road from the original designer. The very first image is the latest version designed specifically for motorcycle use. Add 600ml of water (straight from the tap, chilled water doesn't change the effect) into the zip lock type opening on the upper rear, roll the water around so the whole inner is wet. Rider stays totally dry and evaporative cooling effect will last up to 2 days before refill is required. Really works well making summer riding so much more comfortable. Needs to be worn under something that has some degree of airflow. Wearing one of these under a non vented leather jacket for instance will not achieve anything, it needs some airflow to create the evaporative cooling effect.
  20. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Anyone looking for a very well ventilated jacket to wear a cooling vest underneath, have a look at the Macna Rewind or Velocity jacket. I use the earlier Macna Sunrise jacket and it is the best ventilated jacket I have used so far. Very good quality and finish also.
    Screenshot_2020-10-21-00-14-00-49.jpg
    Chop Chop, bikeroz and BygDaddee like this.