What did you 3D print today?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beetakingthe405, May 19, 2017.

1. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would try and find someone that can a) 3d scan it or b) is willing to sit down with tools to measure and then replicate it to autocad. Sure someone in that community would be willing to chip in, or see if you can find someone local willing to chip in.
  2. pro5mark

pro5mark Adventurer

Oddometer:
    CR-10 here too, it's been a pretty solid machine. I believe just about all the issues I've had have been self-inflicted by either not paying attention to bed level or playing around with settings in the slicer. Since January of last year, I've had the printer hooked up to a Raspberry Pi running OctoPrint. According to OctoPrint I've logged almost 1,200 hours of print time and ran almost 4,000 meters (2 1/2 miles) of the filament through the printer in about a years time.:eek2

With all that time and filament I suppose I should post up a couple more pics of stuff I've printed. Here are a couple more protection type items. First one is a swingarm protector I made after discovering that the stock plastic mudguard was wearing into the swingarm. The second is to protect the subframe from the chain.
    Swingarm Wear.jpg
    Swingarm Guard.jpg
    Subframe wear.jpg Subframe Guard 2.jpg
  3. Antikid

Antikid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fixed my bouncy/shaky GPS mount. It is rock solid now!

Have to reprint once more to get it just right, and to look better, but it's working.
    Left side in the pic is the latest redesign, right had to be drilled too much.

20190410_203421.jpg
    20190410_203439.jpg
  4. bigkuri

bigkuri Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @pro5mark what material did you use for that swing arm guard? Plus did you scan it in, or measure and manually create?

Lovely work. Real inspiration
  5. pro5mark

pro5mark Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks @bigkuri but no scanning just old fashioned measuring then modeled up in Autodesk Inventor, Fusion 360's big brother. To be honest, it did take a few tries to make it just right. It's printed in ABS and been on the bike for a season now, surprisingly it's holding up better than the aluminum swingarm did.

I don't know if this one will inspire you but it was a fun project that I printed for my daughter. Since I've gotten the printer she has been bugging me to print her some Legos. She was pretty excited when I gave them to her but really freaked when I brought out the big boy. For comparison, the smallest in the picture is a typical sized Lego.

Lego.jpg
  6. bigkuri

Oddometer:
    Many thanks!! Maybe I'll try to persist a little with ABS... Sooo many materials to try! I'll definitely try Autodesk Inventor as I took to Fusion pretty quick but find it a little frustrating compared with old AutoCAD.
  7. pro5mark

pro5mark Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ABS isn't too bad once you get it dialed in, an enclosure definitely helps but what made the biggest difference for me was the print surface. I bought some Taulman alloy 910 nylon filament (don't try unless you have an all metal hot end) and they threw in a free GeckoTek ez-stick build surface in a promotion they had running at the time. The surface is amazing, every material I've printed sticks to it without any prep other than wiping it down with rubbing alcohol occasionally. The only issue I've had with it is sometimes prints stick too well and I have trouble removing them, to the point that I've actually torn the surface trying to remove a part. I would suggest that if you're new to 3D printing, stick to PLA until you really learn the process, it's probably the easiest and most forgiving. Find a small sample part to print a bunch of times while tweaking all of the settings in your slicing software and it may be a good idea to make a backup of your baseline settings first. This will give you an idea of how each setting affects the print which will help you to diagnose printing issues later on.

As far as Inventor vs Fusion goes, I'd stay with Fusion if you are using it for 3D printing or modeling/drafting a few parts here and there. There are a lot of advantages to Fusion as a hobbyist software including price, learning curve and the system requirements to run the program. Inventor (or Solidworks) really shines when it comes to large assemblies with lots of parts, especially within an industrial environment. I do feel your frustration coming from AutoCAD, when I learned Inventor I had been using AutoCAD for roughly 20 years. It's way too easy to try to relate your AutoCAD workflow to Fusion which will just end in frustration, as you know. You almost have to abandon everything you know about AutoCAD and go in with a blank slate.
    bigkuri and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  8. bigkuri

Oddometer:
    Awesome, thank you for the tips !!
  9. Sparqq

Sparqq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Printed a holder for my ABUS disc lock:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. bigkuri

Oddometer:
    That's awesome... Nice work!
  11. jantarek

jantarek Long timer

Oddometer:
    PET / Kapton roll holder another is printing now

shared on Thingiverse

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

running out of room on my workbench :p

[​IMG]
    pro5mark and bigkuri like this.
  12. pro5mark

pro5mark Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like the design on the roll holder, especially it's adjustability.

Nice little work area too, a lot more organized than mine.
    jantarek likes this.
  13. simestd

simestd Packet plumber Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMG_20190430_052130.jpg
    Just getting started with an Ender 3 and still working on dialing in my settings.
    Print specifications:
    Object URL: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:111272
    Material: Comgrow 1.75mm PLA
    Temps: Extruder @ 210 C for first layer, then 200 C. Bed @ 60 C
    Slicer: Slic3r PE to Octoprint on 2nd gen Pi (no camera, seems to keep up just fine).
  14. jantarek

jantarek Long timer

Oddometer:
    looks great, raise or speed up retraction a little
    gravityisnotmyfriend likes this.
  15. simestd

simestd Packet plumber Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMG_20190430_200452.jpg

Thanks for the tips! I basically did exactly what you recommended, and bumped the extruder up to 205 C. Not the best cell phone shot of a print in progress, but noticeably sharper, almost no blobs or stringing.
    jantarek likes this.
  16. Sparqq

Sparqq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I printed in PETG a chain oiler for my Pro-Oiler, mounted on my F650GS;

upload_2019-5-1_12-50-11.png

upload_2019-5-1_12-52-4.png
    Antikid, bigkuri, jantarek and 3 others like this.
  17. Antikid

Oddometer:
    20190505_173002.jpg going to try to mount a fuel bottle to the top of my Rumbux... Not sure if it will be a success, but we will see.
    Will have 2 per bottle and one on each side if it does work.
    This is Amazon PETG
    gravityisnotmyfriend and Sparqq like this.
  18. Antikid

Oddometer:
    So far, it works! Vibrates like hell when empty, and not bad when full.

I tested with 1 since if it doesn't immediately fail, 2 will be good...
    Have to get some non shitty lowes hardware.

Also finally finished and dialed my PETG settings thanks to @slovenian6474.
    Ended up with a Duet Wifi and it's awesome. So quiet.
    I've printed nearly 2Kg getting that shit working.

And I got my GPS brackets done and printed. They fit perfect! And no issues with the initial set either.

20190508_211042.jpg

20190508_211117.jpg

20190508_211124.jpg

20190506_174002.jpg
  19. gravityisnotmyfriend

gravityisnotmyfriend Long timer

Oddometer:
    I paid less than $150 shipped for my A-8 from gearbest. Just gotta wait from them to go on sale.

It's been a great printer for me. I did do the standard upgrades though. I used it to print out belt tensioners and frame stiffeners that I found on Thingiverse.

I also upgraded the power supply and added better mosfets to handle the current for the bed and extruder heaters.
  20. Mr. Chuckles

Mr. Chuckles Silly Bastard

Oddometer:
    Just started printing with an Ender 3. My first print was a set of spools to hold my newly installed stainless steel brake lines on the stock holder thingy on my '86 Magna. The stock brake lines were much larger in diameter and had a grommet built into place. Sure beats the hunk of rubber hose I had in there to begin with.

0515191938.jpg

0525191436a.jpg
    Antikid, Motoriley, simestd and 2 others like this.