What did you 3D print today?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beetakingthe405, May 19, 2017.

1. bryantjt

bryantjt Long timer

Oddometer:
    To me, this is the ideal use of a 3d printer. I have a need for a thing, said thing isn't readily available and a one off machined part is $$$ but in a few hours and maybe $1 of material, I solved my own problem.
  2. bryantjt

bryantjt Long timer

Oddometer:
    received_1261337444034428.jpeg received_2831703383509679.jpeg
    This is my example of the above usage. I just lifted my Jeep and went with larger tires which won't work with my oem tire carrier and 3rd brake light. I printed this "center cap" to go behind my spare tire on an aftermarket swing out tire carrier. The led is from a 5 pack of marker lights on Amazon. Total cost, $7. $5 for the led and $2 worth of PETG filament.
  3. pro5mark

pro5mark Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And sometimes lets me print things I didn't know I had a need for. I find myself wandering around the house and shop looking for things I can print... I think I may have a problem. Seriously though, they are also great for prototyping, mold patterns, and so many other things. It opens new doors to people that may not have access or the money to make small runs of parts.

I have a buddy that restores military vehicles, equipment, and weapons. Sourcing parts is getting increasingly difficult if not impossible so he has a need to recreate items. I helped him on a project while back, the original was a cast part used in the control linkage of quad guns. The thought was to print a part that could be used to make a wax mold so he could cast his own replacement parts. I printed several versions in different materials and size variations to test for workability and shrinkage when casting the final part. Other than the reverse engineering and modeling I had very little time or cost into it. He just recently cast a few and has used one in a rebuild and is very happy with the outcome. He now has a list of several other parts that he would like to do the same thing.

An original repaired part on the left and my first test part in PLA on the right.

Quad 2.jpg

One of his restored quad guns mounted. By the way, all four of the 50mm's are fully working/firing machine guns.

Quad4 - Copy.jpg

Full shot of the restore.

Quad6.jpg

Attached Files:

4. cafe that

cafe that Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ^^That thing looks like a good time
    flinders_72 likes this.
  5. DonniBoi

DonniBoi Out of my element Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just found this thread. So cool. Anyone looking to take on a small project? Looking for a small hood (sun block) for my R100GS dash lights. I can't see them in the sun. Especially the blinkers.

Attached Files:

6. jantarek

jantarek Long timer

Oddometer:
    what did you had in mind? something small that fits inside the indicators light bracket ? or the whole dash?
    I can help you design and you can get it printed locally.
    DonniBoi likes this.
  7. jantarek

jantarek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Video lens filter holder / adapter. Printed in NinjaFlex

[​IMG]
  8. DonniBoi

Oddometer:
    Just something to cover the indicator lights on top in the middle. The sun is constantly on them and they get semi illuminated by the sun pointing at them. I was thinking of a small hood style. The simplest way to explain would be a sun block on a movie camera or one of those displays they review sports plays on.
  9. jantarek

jantarek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Friend of mine has r100gs I'll see if I can come up with something
    DonniBoi likes this.
  10. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    have you tried an intake boot yet ?
  11. DonniBoi

Oddometer:
    Also interested in a small block off plate to mount a small rectangle volt meter in the OEM heated grip rocker switch. I've found larger and smaller sizes than the hole opening. The smaller ones have screw holes.
    The BMW dash switch is 38mm x 19mm

Screenshot_20190620-075547.png Screenshot_20190620-075526.png
  12. a65l

a65l Safeguarding our Precious Bodily Fluids

Oddometer:
    I'm trying very hard to justify buying a new 3d printer. The Davinci has served well but I'm feeling it's limitations, and of course when I want natural filament the fuckers don't have it in stock. But it's working hard to convince me otherwise with stuff like this:

[​IMG]

That's a little plate to cover up a hole on a tractor where the brake caliper used to be, and hopefully will be again. Probablly could have done the same thing with a piece of sheet steel but this is just as quick

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. gravityisnotmyfriend

gravityisnotmyfriend Long timer

Oddometer:
    Exactly! I wanted a secure place to hang my helmet. My V Strom has a spacer between the bar end weights and grip that the hand guards snap into. Took some measurements off of that, added a hook and printed it out. Instant (almost) hook that works exactly as I want.
    1B0F1527-C94D-4C98-98D7-333B366D6768.jpeg
  14. jantarek

jantarek Long timer

Oddometer:
    not yet, had no need
  15. gravityisnotmyfriend

Oddometer:
    I’ve had good luck printing with solutech TPU. Also haven’t tried an intake boot. Not sure if gasoline would destroy it. I’ll do a test piece and find out
    ohgood likes this.
  16. RoverTtx

RoverTtx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ooh, I want this! Could you share the stl file please?
  17. gravityisnotmyfriend

Oddometer:
    No problem!
    I’ll send you a link when I get it uploaded to Thingiverse. I do want to make the book a bit longer. The current version works, but the hook opening is a bit tight. I’ll have both options uploaded.
  18. gravityisnotmyfriend

Oddometer:

STL files are uploaded. I haven't printed the long version - should have it done tonight.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3710603
  19. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    I wanted to make better use of the space under my pannier lids so I printed these boxes with sliding lids. They are mounted using the same screws that secure the tie-down loops on the top of the lid.
    Underlid boxes.jpg
  20. Bikedude987

Bikedude987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is cooler than all Fuck. Not only the excellent use of available technologies, but the killer half track. Always have had a soft spot for half tracks...