What did you 3D print today?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beetakingthe405, May 19, 2017.

1. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very cool! How do you keep the lids from sliding?
  2. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    I think that friction will keep them in place but if not my plan is to add something like a coin with an off center hole attached loosely to the side such that when turned right side up the coin pivots under gravity to block the lid from sliding open and when turned upside down the coin pivots the other way to permit the lid to slide. Make sense?
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  3. gravityisnotmyfriend

gravityisnotmyfriend Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like! Care to share the stls or solid models? Those look like they’d fit in my panniers too.

I have a hook on each bar now. The longer one also has a tapered hook. Much easier to use.

3B8C1344-EB8A-49E1-A5C4-895F04B11EAB.jpeg
  4. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    In Tinkercad there is a Shape Generator for a project box which will make a sliding lid box to dimensions you specify. The lid is slotted for ventilation. I modded the lid to make it solid and added the ribs to have something to grip and to make it more rigid. I made a rectangular hole in the bottom of the box to save filament since the bottom of the box is against the pannier's lid. I think that the shape generator had a size limitation that was a little too small but you can resize it in Tinkercad or scale it in your slicer.
  5. GarageCall

GarageCall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Printed a blinker mount for my EX250
    070319_ 011 (Medium).jpg

3D model was created in solidworks...with much guessing. That center piece is at an angle, offset and rotated, so winged it.
    BaseEX2 (Medium).JPG

To replace the broken one (no speed and low speed drops several years ago)
    070319_ 014 (Medium).jpg
    Worked out great! I was surprised since I guessed at so many dimensions. Will see how it holds up, but it's better than all the electrical tape.
    The print was done on a MakerGear M2 with PLA fillament.
  6. bryantjt

bryantjt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Center brake light that mounted behind the spare tire. IMG_20190703_140504_01.jpg IMG_20190701_164246.jpg
  7. jantarek

jantarek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some more ninjaflex stuff :D

2 different angles for you to try Donniboi (sent you pm)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

weird lighting in my buds barn :p
    [​IMG]
  8. Hack'dTiger

Hack'dTiger n00b schn00b

Oddometer:
    @jantarek any tips you can give for running Ninjaflex. Feeding it consistently has proven to be a challenge! :baldy
  9. jantarek

jantarek Long timer

Oddometer:
    well for one thing I know its harder to print 1.75mm (mine 2.85mm)
    also slow printing and I mean slow
    like 10mm first layer
    25mm after with maybe 30 on infill
    tall layer heights .250 at least
    with first layer on +25%

cooling helps with fan at 20% to 60%

lower temp I run mine at 230 c
    and heat bed at 40 c
    long retraction 5mm to 7mm
    fast travel min 150mm

it will be stringy I usually print one part at the time

hope that helps

cheers
    Hack'dTiger likes this.
  10. Hack'dTiger

Hack'dTiger n00b schn00b

Oddometer:
    @jantarek, maybe that's my problem then. With a 1.75mm nozzle it doesn't even want to feed well at all, just to load. Forget printing.
  11. jantarek

jantarek Long timer

Oddometer:
    yea the problems with ninjaflex is that is very stretchy for loading Try first before loading cut a long thin angle end of it with razor blade , than if it loads see if you can prime it few times. Not sure what machine you have but don't double load instead slowly run some through.
    also if you still have issues try to change your nozzle to bigger size like .5 or .6mm for soft media this thing does not like to be squished lol

good luck
  12. bryantjt

bryantjt Long timer

Oddometer:
    If your machine supports it, the Flexion Extruder is key for soft materials. It runs ninja flex as well as it does PLA.
    jantarek likes this.
  13. Sparqq

Sparqq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Printed a cam holder that can be mounted on a 7inch headlight. Printed in black PETG and it uses a cable tie to secure the camera. Combining cable ties with 3D printing is one of my favorite go to solotions.

Screenshot_20190724-221424.jpg IMG_20190724_153508.jpg IMG_20190724_153712.jpg
  14. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    Is anybody using Blender 2.8 Beta on a Mac OS platform? I have been fiddling with it to make a complicated part, and I could use some (video) direction on how to use the software. It seems a bit heavy on video/animation, which I don't really want or need. I need precision and accuracy vs. creativity.

Or if you have a recommendation on a (free) downloadable Mac OS-compatible CAD program that is good for 3D printing, I would love to hear about it. I don't mind paying for software, but shy away from the really expensive stuff, and really don't want to devote a ton of time to learning the basics. My needs are basic shapes; cubes, spheres, joining objects, accurate/precise measurements and a tight .stl file that can be sent to a skilled 3D printer for prototype, then transformed into a file that can be used for CNC machining.

I am not sure I want to invest the time and money into a 3D printer for a one-off project right now, but would like to submit a quality design to a skilled 3D printer for a prototype.

Thanks in advance...been watching this thread for a while now.
  15. jakeller27

jakeller27 Enginerd

Oddometer:
    This isn't downloadable, but check out OnShape. It's all web-based and you run it in your browser. I have an educational account because I'm a part-time community college instructor, which allows all my designs to be private, but I think the free account offers at least a few private designs. There is also Autodesk Fusion, but I haven't used that at all. I've heard of a few people using it with some success though.
  16. 18415

18415 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    What sealant is that that you used on the door? And, does it work good at keeping moisture out? My tool box leaks…
  17. mbanzi

mbanzi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 on Fusion 360. I made the switch a year or three ago and it's amazingly powerful yet fairly simple to use after watching a brief youtube tutorial. I have used it for designs to be 3D printed and CNC milled. It even runs well on an old 2011 iMac 27 I have. Best part it's free for makers (i.e. home use).

Creating a cube for example:

1 - Create sketch and pick which plane to sketch on (this will place you in SKETCH mode)
    2 - Create menu -> Rectangle -> Center Rectangle and draw & dimension it on the sketch
    3 - Switch to SOLID mode (this is a recent User interface change)
    4 - Create menu -> Extrude (or simply hit 'E')
    5 - Click on the square and drag the face out to create a cube
    6 - Done!

Once you get used to the sketch driven design, it's pretty simple to use and LOTS of help/tutorials available on the web. If you're struggling to do something, chances are you're doing it wrong! Below is a cap for the throttle position sensor on a Keihin FCR-MX carb which I did in Fusion 360 in 5 minutes:

TPS Cap Keihin CFR-MX v2.png
  18. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'll check it out.
  19. gots_a_sol

gots_a_sol Long timer

Oddometer:
    Printed off some bases to mount helmet lights for a race I recently did. I ended up buying some cheap aluminum gopro/tripod adapters as I wasn't sure how well that part would hold up. The bases worked fine with at least one over the bars experience :lol3

[​IMG]
    gravityisnotmyfriend and mbanzi like this.
  20. gravityisnotmyfriend

gravityisnotmyfriend Long timer

Oddometer: