What did you 3D print today?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beetakingthe405, May 19, 2017.

1. gravityisnotmyfriend

gravityisnotmyfriend Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had an upcoming tire change, and wanted a way to hold the bead down inside the rim on some particularly stiff tires. Heard of these bead buddy things, and decided to give them a try. I did this out of solid ABS - though I ran out of white before I finished it.

IMG_1643[1].JPG

Wasn't til I had the wheel off my bike and on the tire changing stand that I realized that the bead buddy needed spokes to hook to. My tubless wheels do not have spokes! :fpalm

At least I'll be ready for my next dirtbike tire change.
    ohgood, Hack'dTiger, bungen and 2 others like this.
  2. gravityisnotmyfriend

gravityisnotmyfriend Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got a bag full of Keihen carb jets, and finally decided to organize them. Really tough to see the sizes of them and they are all not stamped in the same place.

So, this first box is just for the ones that fit my KTM 250: IMG_1721.JPG IMG_1723.JPG

The numbers didn't turn out great. I'll print them bigger for the next one - but at least they're legible without a magnifying glass.

Going to do another one for my 250 TXT jets.
    ohgood and Hack'dTiger like this.
  3. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    That's awesome. Put some white paint on the numbers and wipe off the excess. Easier to read.
    gravityisnotmyfriend likes this.
  4. atpalmer

atpalmer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Headlight mount for crf250f

Attached Files:

nzrian likes this.
  5. OConnor

OConnor Bad juju

Oddometer:
    Secondary fuse box platform for Tacoma.

upload_2019-8-24_18-43-54.png

upload_2019-8-24_18-44-39.png
    Hack'dTiger likes this.
  6. Zahnarzt

Zahnarzt Crashes Much

Oddometer:
    Ok, I didn't print these but a stand-up guy I met on anther site let me ship him my broken carb cross-over fuel tube from an XR350R to him.

He sketched them and printed with Kevlar reinforced ABS (I think)

Originals

20190629_095104.jpg

585752761.jpg

Installed with new o-rings... no leaks. . 20190804_111423.jpg 20190804_111347.jpg
  7. y4m4

y4m4 Calvin

Oddometer:
    Any Convoy or Death Proof fans? I dusted off my printer after a year of sitting because I FINALLY found a model of this. Printed one at a low infill and it worked great. Now I need to find the "time" to make a higher density one and smooth/paint it.

IMG_20190818_154147377.jpg
    X5- and JimVonBaden like this.
  8. Mr. Chuckles

Mr. Chuckles Silly Bastard

Oddometer:
    Needed somewhere to put the remotes on the elliptical...

0914190655b[1].jpg 0914190704b[1].jpg
  9. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    I have a project coming up to mount a Pacifico Shadow fairing on my Vulcan VN1600 Classic. Part of the mods includes replacing the 4" round turn signals with 4" LED spotlights. Along with that I have an idea to update the look with a bezel over the front of the lights and onto the top side of the fairing face. Can this be scanned with a smart phone 3D app and then 3D printed?
  10. MoogLover

MoogLover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Short answer : No. A reliable smart phone 3D scanner is not a viable option IMHO.

Longer answer: 3D scanning and printing prototypes is not a cheap option. Outsourcing any sort of 3D printing for a finished product is not cheap/easy either.

Alternative answer: Buy a low cost (DIY) 3D printer, learn to use it, and by trial and error make what you want. That's how I learned. I am not into scanning stuff for print, kinda takes the fun out of the "custom" part of it. You would be surprised how easy some of this stuff is to design. Try tinkercad, it's an online 3D modeling application which has all the tools needed to make some basic/elaborate stuff. If you can make it with that, for example, then the printing side should be easy.
    Mr. Chuckles likes this.