1. eNewsletter Sign Up

What did you 3D print today?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beetakingthe405, May 19, 2017.

1. Radioaktiv

Radioaktiv Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree!! I'd be in for two!
    CrazyCooter likes this.
  2. 515

515 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    Has anyone printed a carburetor to cylinder head "rubber" sleeve? I need one made for an engine swap.

Thanks in advance.
  3. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
  4. 515

515 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bmwroadsterca, thanks for your reply. The link you provided was an interesting read.
  5. mbanzi

mbanzi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a Harbor Freight (AKA Hazard Fart) 7x10 mini lathe sitting in my garage that I occasionally use to make bushings or adapters from aluminum & delrin. Pretty useful tool that takes up very little space. A common issue with this lathe is that the feed speed is too high to get a smooth surface finish. Used the gear generator at https://www.rushgears.com to get a 3D model in STEP format, which imports nicely into Fusion 360. Three hours later I ended up with a custom 112t gear (biggest I could fit) printed in ABS that reduces the feed speed about 40% from the stock 80t gear!

I slowed down the perimeter speed to get the tooth profile accurate. Little separation at the base of the teeth from the ABS shrinking I guess. Not the easiest material to print with. I use an old Makerbot Replicator 1 that I fully enclose for ABS, no fan, nozzle at 230F and the bed at 105/100F.

IMG_9070.jpg
    brstar, Antikid, Motoriley and 10 others like this.
  6. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    I wanted something to hold the Packtalks when we weren't using them.
    IMG_20200201_095824_DRO.jpg IMG_20200201_101231_DRO.jpg
  7. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    These, with the plugs that go in them. Done in batches of 6 pairs at a time.

The internal hole is 9mm and you can buy 8mm borescopes for a few $ on eBay. As a hint, we live in Queensland Australia and termites are a persistent threat. This seemed more reliable than anything else I could think of.

Despite the small size and the low manufactured cost IF I could buy these I'm thinking my printer just paid for itself.

Attached Files:

8. PunkinHead

PunkinHead Moobless Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Work related, but I needed some custom shaped silicone rubber vacuum cups to pick up a circuit board with a robot. Our 3D printer at work (Airwolf3D) is a piece of shit so I printed a mold at home with my Prusa. I threw together a vacuum chamber for degassing using a pump I had in the wood shop for veneering and a pyrex bowl. I added some powdered graphite to try and make the silicone antistatic - I'll check it with a meter at work tomorrow. My first attempt at silicone molding and it turned out great. The gaskets come off the male piece easily so I can mold up a bunch of spares.

This would be a good way to make custom gaskets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Cobra5150

Cobra5150 What? Where?

Oddometer:
    After replacing a few broken rear turn signals with Chinesium replicas I got tired of it and bought a set of Baja Designs flexible lights. Of course the DRZ has an oval hole for mounting and as redneck as I am I couldn't stand the thought of just using a large washer. Enter the 3D printer. Using the original lights and hardware I modeled them in Sketchup. I made the inner piece pretty much identical to the factory one then made a washer that mimics the outline of the OEM light base. Put it all together and pretty pleased with the results. I guess I could simply quit laying the bike down but she needs regular naps
    IMG_0101.JPG IMG_0102.JPG IMG_0103.JPG IMG_0108.JPG

I don't know why people put their fingers in the pic with the license plates????? This seems appropriate for ADV.
    IMG_0109.JPG
    IMG_0110.JPG IMG_0112.JPG

Note to self-Wash the bike before you work on it next time.

IMG_0111.JPG
  10. gots_a_sol

gots_a_sol Long timer

Oddometer:
    Printed out brackets to hold some coil packs on an engine. Obviously PLA isnt going to live very long at this task (engine is an inline-6 with the coils right down the middle of the cams), but it lets me mock up the engine bay and I can use the printed parts as templates later. There will be spacers between the plates on the completed project.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. RTwo

RTwo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A usable KTM screen adjuster with the original (useless) one underneath

IMG_2161.JPG
    Cobra5150, Zahnarzt, Antikid and 4 others like this.
  12. nostep

nostep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Aux light switch for my DRZ. I can reach it with my thumb.

Ender 3, Esun PLA+, 0.3 layer height

Disregard the zip tie replacing the lost nut and the terrible print quality. Both those have since been fixed. Next step is a heated enclosure for ABS...

Attached Files:

Cobra5150, Zahnarzt, Antikid and 3 others like this.
  13. AlpinaE24

AlpinaE24 Long timer

Oddometer:
    20200124_173905.jpg 20200202_151027.jpg 20200125_221930.jpg 20200126_163214.jpg

All sorta shit! These things sure are amazing, can't wait to screw around with TPU
    Cobra5150, Zahnarzt, Antikid and 4 others like this.
  14. AlpinaE24

AlpinaE24 Long timer

Oddometer:
    20200207_204640.jpg

Found a FCR ducati adapter on thingiverse, needed to make a 1.5mm spacer ring but fits the berg boot nicely....now just waiting for the carb to arrive
  15. slacker83

slacker83 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cobra5150 and bigkuri like this.
  16. Antikid

Antikid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been messing with my printer a lot lately. Actually getting paid for printing a little desktop type thing for a company!
    They designed it online and I had to copy/redesign, and then optimize, it to actually be printable. I also made it way better than the original idea (I think).

Honestly, the $ would be good, but I've been aiming for perfection, and it's just hard and stressful. If I figured in my hours, I'm probably making nothing. Lol.

But, I see it that I'd have been sitting around on the weekends not doing much anyway, so, it's hard to count that.
    I've also forced myself to actually learn more about fusion360 and really get my printer dialed.

Sorry for the rant! I wish I was printing moto parts for fun right now.

Original idea (after being fixed and actually printable). The light would blind you.
    20200126_181001.jpg

I added a vase mode single layer sleeve out of white. Now it is a 3 part print. All of the inserts are done. Had to find the right color blue, which took, 5 filament orders... also, the shit quality of the prints are all samples to get the design correct. No more gaps and stuff.
    20200128_172501.jpg
    bigkuri, Cobra5150 and Zahnarzt like this.
  17. tanukkki

tanukkki Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Printed a housing in PLA for a trucklite headlight unit. Bike is honda hornet 919.

Wasn't sure about some dimensions but it fit nicely. Will reprint in PETG for final assembly but it feels pretty strong in pla with 10% infill.

20200216_145955.jpg 20200216_145541.jpg 20200216_135800.jpg
    JimVonBaden, gots_a_sol and Cobra5150 like this.
  18. allroadridernb

allroadridernb n00b

Oddometer:
    got tired of buying the seal chain guard for the wr250r, and no after market what's so ever, so I designed this Seal Guard v19_1.png

not bad for my first post on this forum? I've been looking for this since day one of owning my wr250r, now I have the design and can tweak/create on it as much as I want

I'm not posting the STL online until I know for a fact that it fit on my bike and it work.

I also built this last month https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4138254 if you have a wr250r and a precision rack, or any rotopax ready rack on your bike, you can buy the cheap ebay motorcycle jerry can without the mount and use my mount instead (which you'll save 10-15$ without the mount).
  19. gots_a_sol

gots_a_sol Long timer

Oddometer:
    Controller/joy-con holder for a Nintendo switch. Did it in rainbow PLA but unfortunately it doesn't change colors very quick unless you do a huge print with high infill. Oh well, the six year old likes it. Working on a steering wheel now.

[​IMG]

I printed off this tig electrode grinder mod for a dremel also, but didn't take a pic. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3652497

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. AlpinaE24

AlpinaE24 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's fantastic, I hate free hand grinding tungsten