1. eNewsletter Sign Up

What did you 3D print today?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beetakingthe405, May 19, 2017.

1. MoogLover

MoogLover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Moved the ignition to the bottom because it was too close to the brake line...
    Installed picture.
    20180212_131406.jpg
    Hack'dTiger likes this.
  2. MoogLover

Oddometer:
    Added some bling...
    20180213_120900.jpg
    18415, ajpjive and LeMaitre like this.
  3. jakeller27

jakeller27 Enginerd

Oddometer:
    What did you print that on? It looks like a really solid print. I've been thinking about getting a printer with a bigger build volume to print things of that scale.
  4. MoogLover

Oddometer:
    @jakeller27 I have a Anet A8. Upgraded a few things on it, but basically stock. I think it's 220x220 mm bed width.
    jakeller27 likes this.
  5. unie01

unie01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    nice thread, sub'd[​IMG]
  6. RJLynn67

RJLynn67 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man all I have been printing is work related stuff! We are an Injection Molding house and my group does all of the automation projects. So a lot of part diverting devices and lightweight gripper pieces!

How is the ASA material I have seen some of you use? I was going to pick some of that up to play with.

Love this thread by the way.
  7. rock_bottom

rock_bottom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just out of interest does anyone have access to G Code reversing software? My son designed an underseat tool tray for my 950 ADV, but he designed it at work, and then changed his computer. All I have is the G Code, but the design needs some tweaking from how I printed it. I would like to share with guys on the Orange crush forum, but want to make the changes first.
    [​IMG]
  8. RJLynn67

Oddometer:
    Honestly I do not know if such a thing exists. I would just remodel.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Hack'dTiger likes this.
  9. jantarek

jantarek Long timer

Oddometer:
    the only thing I found is a model repair for printing from gcode but its online service and not free https://makeprintable.com/blog/g-code-reverser/

you can preview your gcode here http://gcode.ws/#

other than that get a free cad and remodel, looks simple enough :) https://www.freecadweb.org/

cheers

Jerry
  10. MoogLover

Oddometer:
    What he said^
    There's TinkerCAD and Blender, which are free and both do the job.

Also you should remind your son how cheap thumb drives are...
    Hack'dTiger likes this.
  11. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. jakeller27

jakeller27 Enginerd

Oddometer:
    Today's print was the first version of a throttle cable carrier for my CJ-5. I rewired the entire thing and while I was in the middle of sorting out grounding issues, I inadvertently grounded through the throttle cable, which made it really hot and melted the original plastic guide piece. I am going to dress it up and make it a little curvier and adjust some of the dimensions, but the first prototype turned out pretty decent and it functions well.

IMG_1715.jpg IMG_1714.jpg

Attached Files:

RJLynn67, VX Rider and Marco Moto like this.
  13. RJLynn67

Oddometer:
    Nice work! I wish I would have had a printer when I rewired my cj5 in high school a couple decades ago. I am sure a few 3D printed parts will make it onto my XJ as I finish up my LS Swap!

14. jakeller27

jakeller27 Enginerd

Oddometer:
    Thanks. The wiring was sort of a pain using the Painless kit. I wish I would have just wired it from scratch so I wouldn't have so many extra connections.

The printer has come in handy a few times during this project though. It seems like I use it for everything around the house now.

15. RJLynn67

Oddometer:

Yeah I remember that harness to be far from painless. I damn near printed up an impeller for the washing machine drain pump over the weekend but I found a new part for cheap!
  16. ajpjive

ajpjive Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ever since handlebar mounting my old phone to serve as a GPS, I've been really wishing I had a more heads-up display mounted closer to the Versys instrument cluster. So, I figured I'd 3D print a part and modify my Madstad Engineering windscreen mount to add-on my RAM mount. Here's what I came up with!

Finished product:
    [​IMG]

I absolutely love my Madstad Engineering windscreen mount, and this is just making it better. It required drilling one hole in the center of the bracket, and the remainder of the bolts mount up in the standard Madstad holes.

The 3D printed bracket front and back:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Mounted up, without windscreen:
    [​IMG]

Overall I'm quite pleased with it. Tried it with a larger phone as well, and it should work great. Last step will be to snake a charging cable up to the phone, and I'll be good to go!
    RJLynn67 likes this.
  17. RJLynn67

Oddometer:
    What material did you print this with? Also from the pics it looks like the brackets is designed as basically an offset mount. Offsetting from the holes through the thick part of the brackets to those on the thin. Is this correct? If so I probably would have printed it flat (would eliminate your raised text unleashed you recessed it) instead of vertically like you have. For our experience, robotics and production applications, you want to align your layer is the strongest direction of need and most failures have occurred between layers than across them. Just would hate to see the phone fall off some day and worst case trying to grab it on the way out giving the bike a chance for a nap. This would be my luck...
    ajpjive likes this.
  18. johnQ6pack

johnQ6pack ALT-Mid

Oddometer:
    This is an awesome thread !

I'm pretty reluctant to print much in terms of moto-parts. A few bits here and there. Unless used in a compression application, I stay away from anything load bearing.
    (full confession, not printed today)
    My buddies 86 XR250R.
    It's not holding up the light. That's on aluminum frame (using stock mounting) behind the bezel. The bezel is zip tied to the frame. It's not load bearing in any way.
    It was pretty Frankenstein absent the bezel.

This was the proto-type. Printed a better rez version to replace this one when I roost it :)
    The shallow curvature turned out crappy with the print settings I used. We have a nice one to install, but I'm interested in seeing what this one puts up with :)

[​IMG]

MB Replicator 2
    Creo Parametric
    Making what I can't buy,
    Priceless...
    Hack'dTiger, RJLynn67 and Marco Moto like this.
  19. NoMoreIdeas

NoMoreIdeas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is awesome, I'm on a few forums and this is the only one active in doing anything in 3D printing. I've tinkered with this stuff for about 10 months now and its just so damn cool. Here is a throttle tamer / quick throttle combo I designed for my Triumph. It took quite a few test print & fits to get everything right. Also didnt like how much play the factory throttle tube had, and made this one so much more precise, and it works great. I'm going to be doing the same for my DRZ soon.

Attached Files:

20. NoMoreIdeas

NoMoreIdeas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not sure if it would work, but I know you can load up GCode in CURA. Might get lucky and have the ability to save it off as a STL