What did you do IN your Garage today?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JimVonBaden, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Tall Man

Tall Man Priest, Temple of Syrinx

Oddometer:
    I disassembled the motorcycle trailer to accommodate pressure washing and spraying several coats of enamel. The factory finish, such as it was, wasn't very durable.

Pic taken when new. Lots of unwanted patina now, which the wash and respray will fix.

[​IMG]
    SmittyBlackstone and Yellow Dog like this.
  2. armith

armith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Showed my 15 1/2 year old daughter how to check and change the oil in her recently purchased car.

All went well except for the part where I had to use the impact gun to get the drain bolt loose. The peckers at the local valvoline place is notorious for ignorant crap like that. Which I assume is where the PO had the last oil change done given the window sticker was theirs.

She had no problems doing the filter and filling and checking the dipstick.. next time she should be able to do the whole thing herself.

The rear brake rotors are shot so she will be getting an education on jacking up the car and changing a tire soon. Maybe have her rotate them while we are at it.

Some may not agree, but I'm a strong believer in teaching the lost art of basic maintenance. She's learning the value of a dollar early. Pay $40-50 or more to have a shop change the oil. Or spend $27 for the stuff at walmart, put your hair in a ponytail, and keep a couple hours worth of that teenager paycheck for the next expense like rear brakes or sparkplugs.
  3. Yellow Dog

Yellow Dog Wanderer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I put a John gemi chip in the 96 r1100gs. Really smooths things out!
  4. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:

What type of car did she buy? It's over $100 for a shop to change the oil here; I pay to have the truck & The_Filly's car done, but I do all the maintenance on the 4 bikes in the garage. The_Filly has helped with what is now her Grom & she will be doing it at the next change while I "supervise"
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  5. powderzone

powderzone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Installed some LED strips in the man cave. Giddy up.

0B6A6948-0967-4929-95D1-6388F1A0C5E0.jpeg
    eddyturn, Ironforge, Cycle61 and 5 others like this.
  6. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Knowledge is horsepower

Oddometer:
    Dang, you need a DJ and some dancing girls!

:dj
  7. powderzone

powderzone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lol. I’ll supply the music!
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  8. old scoot

old scoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Dodge / Jeep / Chrysler dealer always sends me coupons in the mail. I can usually get an oil change for about 35 bucks and that's with Mobil 1. I can't do it myself for that.
  9. Black Hills

Black Hills Long timer

Oddometer:
    yep, both my girls had to change a tire the first day they got a car. They know how to change the oil and jump start a vehicle as well. The oldest called her first week at college and said she had to show some guy how to jump his car.
  10. armith

armith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Still have to pick up a set of cables for the car or get her a NOCO and go over that.. She won't be driving it much until she gets her license so the next few months will be prep and learning before it becomes a daily.
  11. Karlfitt

Karlfitt Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got the cargo shelf all covered in Hurculiner and re-installed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Karlfitt

Karlfitt Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now for some real fun.

I had found a set of axles on Craig's list with 4.56 gears and lockers front and rear. The front he had also already put C gussets on it and Lower Control Arm skids as well as Chrome Molly axle shafts. Only thing he didn't do was put a Truss on it, so I wanted to do that before putting the axles under my Jeep.
    I finally was able to get a friend over to weld the truss for me so away we go.

Prepping the axle.

[​IMG]

With the center ribs on.

[​IMG]

And the rest of the truss

[​IMG]

All painted and ready to go in.

[​IMG]

Old front axle out.

[​IMG]

Old read axle out

[​IMG]

Finishing up the wiring

[​IMG]

After I was all done with the wiring I pushed the button for the first time and the rear did not lock. Shit!
    I started digging in and I had power all the way back to the frame side of the connector for the locker, but it wasn't getting through to the axle side. So another Ebay connector put on and success . (I had bought a wiring harness from Eaton for these lockers, but when it came the connectors on the harness did not connect to the axles. So I sent that back and made my own harness)

I went wheeling on Sunday but I didn't need the lockers so I don't know how they work off road yet.
    SmittyBlackstone and dtysdalx2 like this.
  13. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Knowledge is horsepower

Oddometer:
    Got my L2 GSXR 1000 stick coils installed and wired up this morning. DL fired right up!
    Hanz, SmittyBlackstone and Mr Head like this.
  14. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. Hanz

Hanz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used a cheap and fidgety valve spring compressor I bought at Autozone. It worked to disassemble but I'm not sure how reassembly will go.

https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-too...lve-spring-compressor-overhead-valve/2052_0_0

OH! The vise holding the shock. I'll have to look at it when I get home. I don't remember where I picked it up.
  16. Cycle61

Cycle61 making it up as I go Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got the plywood up on the wall that's going to be my workbench. 3/4" should provide a good foundation/backplane for a very solid setup. :)

IMG_20190731_060933.jpg
  17. racer1735

racer1735 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have had an intermittent electrical problem with my Clearwater fork mounted lights since the day I got the bike (used). Wasn't apparent to me during the daytime, but when I rode at night one of the lights was flickering. Got home gave the housing a little thump and that made the ligth flicker.
    My first thought was that there was a bad connector inside the housing that was causing the issue. Emailed Clearwater Customer Service and they replied to check the connector where the left and right hand lights meet. That's quite a way up under my fairing and I was hoping not to take too much plastic off for this project (wishful thinking, huh?). I was also told that the lamp housings are not user accessible and opening them might render them inoperative.
    My son got to looking around and he noticed that there were two zip ties holding the light cable to the brake line. And where these zip ties were located, the insulation on the light wiring was cracked. Simple cause...the zip ties were fastened too tightly and every time the front suspension compressed or extended, these zip ties would bite into the wiring insulation. We removed the ties to find the wire strands barely held together. I had two Posi-twists in my goody box, so cliped the two wires in question, stripped some insulation from both ends, and connected them back together using the Posi-twists. Wrapped it back in electrical tape and it works like a charm.
    Total cost of repair: $0 (parts already on hand). Total time needed for repair: 20 minutes. Total satisfaction: Immense!!
    Night_Wolf, Hanz and Tall Man like this.
  18. HapHazard

HapHazard Waiting for Gudenov

Oddometer:
    Hookers & blow, prolly...

Oh, you mean vise! :lol3
  19. Hanz

Hanz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Posi Loks/Twists are so very handy. If I'm ordering from Eastern Beaver, I always add a cpl to my order