What did you do IN your Garage today?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JimVonBaden, Dec 17, 2012.

1. racer1735

racer1735 Long timer

Oddometer:
    They were easier to ‘use, when you couldn’t find them at Walmart or certain automotive stores. Now it’s either Eastern or Beaver or Amazon. Not exactly difficult but you have to plan ahead on your projects a little more. All of their products are Lifesavers.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  2. whodat90

whodat90 Corporal of Industry

Oddometer:
    A neighbor is moving, and found some of her father's old tools, rusted beyond reason. She asked me if there was anything I could do with them. A day's soak in evaporust, then through the parts washer, then some scotch-bride, wire wheel, sandblaster, paint and polish. Simple like pie. The shears cut nicely too. Then on to another project, my youngest is off to her first apartment and bought a cheap used desk. When they refinished it they just sanded the front of the lock off rendering it useless, so I took the old pieces, some brass, some aluminum, solder, epoxy, the lathe, the mill, and beer and came up with a decorative, working key. Btw that orange circle at the back of the key is glow in the dark powder mixed into Epoxy.
    Edit: because there's no kill like overkill, I fired up the surface grinder and took a half-thousandth off each edge of the straightedge. I also picked up a sine bar at a swap meet the other day so I figured I'd true it up also.

Attached Files:

tbas3, Night_Wolf, millican and 5 others like this.
  3. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I gave the bench top a little sanding. I'm thinking since I've decided today is a rest day from cycling, I'll clear the bench off and do another full up sand, polish, oil and polish.
    It is sort of like practice for the dining table top I need to get after, which will include stain.

[​IMG]

Need to find a new book for my next trip. I finished, "This New Ocean" and "The Information". I've been considering rereading "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance", it has been several decades since I last wadded through that by camp light.

After a little clean up, sanding, tung oil and polishing,

[​IMG]
  4. old scoot

old scoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance is sort of a text book, it is used in some college level psychology courses. Never could get into it as a book you just read for enjoyment. Not sure it's even around here anymore. Cool bench but not much space. I think I would paint the front of the bench, maybe red.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  5. millican

millican Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got one of the fog lights working again.
    It had plenty of gunk in it from holding water. Some LEDs were out completely while others flickered. I was not gentle opening it - thinking it was just going to go into the recycling bins.
    Surprisingly, it worked with just removing all the corrosion with alcohol and a really soft toothbrush. (avoiding the LEDs of course).
    With some sealant added, it might stay dry inside now, unlike the way this one and another one came from the factory.
    DSC_0254.JPG DSC_0258.JPG DSC_0270.JPG DSC_0284.JPG DSC_0286.JPG DSC_0287.JPG
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  6. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Moved some 8 ft T12 lights from my shop and over into the basement portion. (Walk out basement with the back half being my shop.) Basement only had a single bulb light. Previous owner installed 2 8 ft T12s in there and 4 in the shop. Moved the 4 out and will put them in the basement to give more light in there. Installed 6 bulb holders in the shop for the "basement" quick run in lighting. Will install parameter lighting later for actual shop work.
  7. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    The lower bits will be painted grey. Along with that two drawer on the bench top.
    I don't need much space since mostly what I do is small stuff.

I have read a few things for my entertainment that are and have been used as textbooks. Math and physics too. I'm annoying like that.
    And I even reread them, because they were fun.

As a preteen I read all the Ian Fleming, Dashiell Hammett, Mickey Spillane and such.
  8. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Milwaukee M18 brushless. I rebuilt two battery packs for my old craftsman 14.4v professional drill. I even snagged a similarly shaped 16v battery, and swapped the innards. Gave me a little more juice.

But then I got a Milwaukee M18 brushless impact Wrench. It was more powerful than my air impact. I liked it so much I splurged on the matching drill, and lemme tell you I will never go back to the old stuff. That fully working craftsman drill with two batteries and a charger is in the yard sale pile. I’ve broken an impact socket with the Milwaukee. Broken. Not a chrome socket, an impact socket (torx T40).

I don’t think you’d be disappointed with the M18 stuff. And there is so much of it! So many different tools now. Just make sure the drill you get is brushless. If it’s cheap, it’s not the right drill! They have regular brushed drills on the M18 platform as well, but the brushless is worth every penny more.

Charles.
  9. old scoot

old scoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lately I've been on a James Lee Burke kick. You are going to show pictures when you get the bench done right ? We all need our space to get lost in, doesn't need to be big.
    Mr Head likes this.
  10. Alleycatdad

Alleycatdad Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer:
    True Norcal, not that Bay Area/Sacto Crap...
    Agree completely.

My 15 year old daughter and I are plannng to start an engine swap on the 95 4 runner her brother bought that made it home and never ran again.

Any objective analysis will say it’s good money after bad, but when we’re done she will know that she can fix stuff with her own hands. That’s worth something I think,especially these days.

Good job, dad!
  11. roger123

roger123 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Swapped out the Tenere's air filter, I think she had a few miles left..........No idea what the rag looking thing is, almost like I sucked in a paper towel, doesn't look like a rodents nest. 20K is a bit long I guess.

Tons of oil in the airbox.

Attached Files:

Mr Head likes this.
  12. racer1735

racer1735 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like that Super 10’s been ridden! Guessing you’ve been chasing your oil level, judging by the amount in your airbox. Might also look into checking/cleaning your filter on shorter intervals. You’ll probably see better performance with the new filter.
  13. Stasher1

Stasher1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Added a Goldwing windscreen vent to my ST1300 to help a bit with the GA heat.

I had read about others doing it, so I assumed (incorrectly) that it wouldn't be all that difficult. Turned out to be a bit of a PITA. Came out decent though, and looks almost factory.

Attached Files:

racer1735 and Night_Wolf like this.
  14. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    Paint will go on this winter. I need to finish up a few other chores and a motorcycle maintenance and work up and trip first.
    That bench is going on 40 years old, so a work in progress I guess. :imaposer
  15. roger123

roger123 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Finally got the decals on the outboard after the re-paint.

Attached Files:

JimVonBaden, Night_Wolf and Mr Head like this.
  16. Tall Man

Tall Man Priest, Temple of Syrinx

Oddometer:
    I had access to a few small company boats when I lived in Florida. We could choose from 50 or 90 horsepower outboards. Being my first-ever exposure to boating, I was surprised at just how much hp is actually needed to give boats a little zip in the water. 90 hp was just right; the 50s were kind of doggish. 'Twas educational.
  17. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    Today I extracted this,

[​IMG]

from here:

[​IMG]

I'm assuming the "mechanic" that reassembled my motorcycle after the motor rebuild used an air tool to tighten the bash plate fasteners. I'm certain of this based on the unbroken three remaining fasteners being so tight the ratchet snapped from "Off" to "On". :dirtdog

Confirming, yet again, what we in engineering refer to as the "Gorilla Rule".

And of course when they reassembled they did not replace the seal at the screen cover, so that leaks,

[​IMG]

I'll set it all right soon enough.
    JimVonBaden and Hanz like this.
  18. DeepBarney

DeepBarney International Bumbler

Oddometer:
    Pulled into it and fooled around with the girlfriend after a ride. Then sent her on her way so I could get around to sealing this. Yes I realize it's outside the garage, but damn the fumes from this pre-cat lacquer are strong. Plus I didn't want to coat everything else in my little garage in a fine mist of the stuff.
    IMG_20190804_150755829.jpg
    ExxonValdez, X5- and JimVonBaden like this.
  19. MNimum

MNimum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tried re-reading Zen a couple of times after the first read in '80(?) and never could get the magic back and keep with it
    But seeing Blue Highways on your desk had me digging through the bookshelves and landing a tired, dog-eared looking copy within 5 minutes. Sure is easy to just crack that open and start reading! :nod
    Mr Head likes this.
  20. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got through Zen I think both times about 30 years apart
    Mr Head likes this.