What did you do IN your Garage today?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JimVonBaden, Dec 17, 2012.

1. PaulTim2000

PaulTim2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Changed the oil pressure switch on the Guzzi that was leaking, amazing how so little oil can go so far.
    2.5 hours to strip off all the fairing and tank, 30 min to clean up and change switch including a trip to the local spares shop to buy one, 2 hours to put everything back together again.
    I'd love to meet the warped / twisted mind that designed all that plastic.
    Mr Head and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  2. Traffic

Traffic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally making some headway on the garage. Knocked down the old built in cabinets and finishing paint, insulation, and drywall. No more 70s look here!!

Not sure what to do with the floor yet. Thoughts on tile or epoxy? 20170715_120509.jpg 20170715_154446.jpg 20190808_175237.jpg
    SmittyBlackstone and Mr Head like this.
  3. trumpet

trumpet Group W Bench

Oddometer:
    Nice space! While I like epoxy floors, actually prefer to use tag sale carpets. Pick them up from time to time for cheap, throw them down, and throw them out when they get worn out or gross.

Resized_20190725_102656.jpeg
  4. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Knowledge is horsepower

Oddometer:
    I like the puzzle floor pads myself.
    trumpet and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  5. roger123

roger123 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rear tire on my buddies DL1000

Attached Files:

SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  6. HapHazard

HapHazard Waiting for Gudenov

Oddometer:
    Paint the ceiling gloss white - now.
    Ditto the walls.

As long as its not dirt or cinders, the floor doesn't matter.:deal
  7. roger123

roger123 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Finally got around to painting my lower cover on the outboard.

Attached Files:

SmittyBlackstone and Mr Head like this.
  8. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    Last Friday it was a flat rear tire. Replaced the Metzler with a BS AX41. What a bitch to spoon on!
    Yesterday I lost a cylinder on the way home. Rear plug fouled. New Irridium plugs, coolant flush, and air filter installed today.
    Next up AX41 for the front, but not today.
  9. Stasher1

Stasher1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Replaced the trolley on my screw-drive Genie (again) so I can get my bike into the garage.
  10. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rolled my Connie in the garage so I can pull off some add on's before Allstate sends the claims adjuster. Nothing big just Ram X mounts and a 2 meter Ham radio. A young man on the way into work changed lanes right into me on I 85 mile marker 51. I was lucky and was able to walk away with only minor injuries. ATGATT really does work. Bike is toast. P_20190806_052811.jpg
    flinders_72 likes this.
  11. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    No photos from yesterday as I had zero time.
    I got shims and only had to stone a couple down to exactly what I wanted. I got that all back together, but had to stop before I could torque.

No luck with the spark plugs thing. I got a wrench that is supposed to work.
    Doesn't. :baldy
    These plugs are 16mm not 14mm. :hmmmmm
    Too much standing at the dealer and chatting and musing on what was done to the motor. Gustavo and I were both baffled at that point.
    Then, after trying the new wrench, it dawned on me that 950's use 16mm sparkplugs. :fpalm
    I'll get back to the dealer after my other duties this afternoon and get that sorted. Wrench, proper spark plugs and all. :dirtdog

I did manage to remember to buy engine oil and clutch fluid as I'm down to a tiny bit.

My back was dead by late afternoon.

I need to dump the coolant and pull the radiator anyway. As well as install the cam bridge and double check those rear clearances.
  12. Grinder

Grinder Wrong way 'round

Oddometer:
    Likely story. Last week I had to go to 2 parts stores for a spark plug. None in stock but they could order it. They seemed unamused when I said I could have ordered it from home. Buy local my ass....
    SmittyBlackstone and Night_Wolf like this.
  13. PineLaneRider

Oddometer:
    I had to drive 35 miles to a Kawasaki dealer to get plugs for my VStrom. All local Suzuki dealers were "out of stock". Must've been a run on NGK CR8EIX...
  14. whodat90

whodat90 Corporal of Industry

Oddometer:
    Did some more cleanup, arranging, then pulled the Uly out for a quick ride to the local shop to verify that I still don't want the Ryker. I don't.
  15. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, got the valve check completed and the mystery spark plugs removed.

Top plug is the proper 990 14mm hex, 25.4mm reach, the bottom two are the 950, 16mm hex, 19mm reach. Note, bottom plug crushring is not crushed. Neither plug was torqued and the rear was only finger tight.
    Top 990 plug was torqued to spec.
    [​IMG]

The likely accounts, in part for my poor fuel economy.

When my wife gets home with the car, I can drive back to the dealer and drop off the wrench they loaned me and pick up fresh plugs.
    trumpet and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  16. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Knowledge is horsepower

Oddometer:
    You can run CR8E's too. $3.49 at Fleet Farm. It's what I use, not sold on the iridium bandwagon unless you have to do major work to replace spark plugs.

IX plugs should last forever. https://ngksparkplugs.com/en/products/ignition-parts/spark-plugs/iridium-spark-plugs
    SmittyBlackstone and cal08 like this.
  17. PineLaneRider

Oddometer:
    KIMG0944.JPG New front AX41 on the old Strom.
    dtysdalx2 and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  18. PineLaneRider

Oddometer:
    02 VStrom 1000. Rear plug is simple. Front needs the tupperware and radiator removed or moved. Pita! Don't want to change them for a looong time.
  19. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    When The_Filly was learning to ride last summer, she was wearing her Klim jacket & it was hot & I was riding in my denim shirt & she "bitched" at me. My reply was "when you get a cpl hundred thousand km under your ass, you can choose to ride without a jacket. Went to 4 different local dealers looking for an armoured mesh jacket for her & NOBODY had anything in stock & a cpl of these dealers are not exactly small shops & a cpl carry multiple motorcycle brands. A cpl of places said "we can order that for you" I said I can do the same thing from the comfort of my house & not have to make a 1.5 hr return trip to pick it up. So that is exactly what I did; went home logged into eBay, found a decent mesh jacket & ordered a pair of them (grabbed one for myself too) for less than I would have had to pay if I ordered locally. I would have paid $300 if there was one in stock, just to have her comfortable & I get 2 out of England, shipped to the local post office (1 km away) for a shade over $200 in less than 2 weeks.
    racer1735 likes this.
  20. cal08

cal08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you are alive brother.
    Night_Wolf and SmittyBlackstone like this.