What did you do IN your Garage today?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JimVonBaden, Dec 17, 2012.

1. DeepBarney

DeepBarney International Bumbler

Oddometer:
    I thought about it, but ultimately decided against it. The Harbor Freight vertical shaft motors are GXV160 clones essentially (but 173cc) and only come with 7/8" shafts. My original Briggs was 25mm so I'd have needed to adapt the thinner shaft to my original blade mount and self propel drive pulley with a sleeve and step key (a pain if you ever lose or shear the key, since you won't be able to just go get a replacement at a hardware store) or get a new blade mount and pulley that were the right size. also I wanted more power to handle those times the back yard gets overgrown while I'm away traveling. Those little clone motors while probably better than my outgoing Briggs wouldn't have had a surplus of torque for pushing itself through 10" tall grass and mulching it down to 4". Also they have cast aluminum bores, which is what lead to the death of my Briggs.

I started looking at commercial spec motors and decided on a Honda GSV190 for the power, ball bearing and steel cylinder liner construction. Small Engine Warehouse had this model discounted quite a bit because Honda seems to have discontinued the commercial spec 190 with 25mm shafts (still can get a GSV190 with a 7/8 shaft though they're not cheap). Anyways it was a direct fit, a much better motor than the old one (or a HF Predator motor), and not too much more than a HF motor (once you figure in the cost to adapt it or get a new blade mount and pulley).
  2. Xsv

Xsv Going nowhere, fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Working on a rustic barn door style door for an interior shop door. Nothing like taking new lumber and trying to make it look beat up and from an old barn.

Still got some cutting and gluing after my “wrought” nails show up from Amazon.

A5BB7C22-FC8F-43FF-A41B-8599BC7199FD.jpeg 89218D51-7794-4843-8187-4B2D82A7BB02.jpeg
  3. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Besides working on a bunch of chores around the house, my new brake line and eBay turn signals arrived today. Got everything cleaned up and did my final fitting before I do a front end-ectomy on the G/S
    IMG_20190812_202645112.jpg
  4. cal08

cal08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like baby making activity is in the forecast. Make hay while the sun shines.
    racer1735 likes this.
  5. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's the most complicated pogo stick I have ever seen Marty!

Looking forward to seeing your G/S finished!
  6. RC Pilot

RC Pilot Shut up and fly!

Oddometer:
    It is a uni-pogo-cycle!
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  7. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    not me, but my young grand daughter hard at work in my shop. all steel construction from material sourced from the shop scrap pile. i cut for her, but she did the design work, and 100% of the bending and welding. other than using a tape to measure the feeder pole upright components and spacers, no other measurements were taken. all other component cuts were either freehand, or dimensions sourced or repeated on index. positioning to tack weld was free hand. assemblies were blasted, primed, painted. Di-Acro bender, Hobart 140 running .030 on 25/75.

she happens to be one of these young people who you only have to give instruction to one time, then get the hell outta the way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    Outstanding :clap
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  9. Friz Freleng

Friz Freleng Religious zealot Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had an old cooler and some foam insulation laying around from a previous project so I decided to build my interpretation of a Yeti cooler. I even had an old can of spray foam insulation for the interstitial areas. Total cost was $0.00. I didn't care about the looks or even the precision of my cuts because I wasn't sure if the whole thing would be a big fail. So, more of a lazy day puttering in the garage experiment.

I have to say, wow, it really worked. I took it on a camping trip and my ice lasted three days before I had to replenish it, and even then it hadn't entirely melted.
    IMG_5644.jpg
    longwaypyder, thebigman, X5- and 5 others like this.
  10. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Knowledge is horsepower

Oddometer:
    Backyard engineering there! My favorite! :D

Er, what I have to do at work when the owners are too cheap.
    DeepBarney and HapHazard like this.
  11. HapHazard

HapHazard Waiting for Gudenov

Oddometer:
    Looks great! Your cuts look better than if I'd sweated over them all day.:thumb
    (Bonus points for using the word "interstitial")
  12. Tall Man

Tall Man Priest, Temple of Syrinx

Oddometer:
    Nicely done. Now affix the sticker. :D
    Night_Wolf, DeepBarney and HapHazard like this.
  13. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    thanks.

work done by an ex-homecoming queen, now college girl, so when i sometimes see an ADV inmate that appears intimidated by a little fabrication and welding, well, you know what i'm thinking. hundreds of bends, hundreds of welds, and i have to say that once she got rollin', some of the welds were as good as it gets. hot, dirty work, grinding dust, sparks flying, smoke rising off the work. some kids run, some kids stay. she hung in there, got everything finished up.

note on welding: the little 120V Hobarts do a real nice job on the lighter material, and are often found for very cheap money. do not run the Hobart on fluxcore, you won't be happy. i have bigger wire welders, but mostly use the Hobart for the light stuff, including moto fab work.
  14. Friz Freleng

Friz Freleng Religious zealot Supporter

Oddometer:
    Too funny! :lol3
    Tall Man likes this.
  15. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can call that a " Bigfoot" cooler.
    Friz Freleng likes this.
  16. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fresh coolant and oil into the 990R today.
    Then a wash, but that was outside the garage where I topped off the coolant after bleeding the system.

[​IMG]

Detailing will wait a bit. The wheels will get attention when I pull them for tires and bearing servicing.
    Skellington, Hanz and HapHazard like this.
  17. HapHazard

HapHazard Waiting for Gudenov

Oddometer:
    ^"Mr Head's Naked Adventure":evil
    DeepBarney and MNimum like this.
  18. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    hey! :kat
  19. racer1735

racer1735 Long timer

Oddometer:
    FF538BC0-FA97-411C-BFD9-B34F6D6606B6.jpeg
    I removed the red reflectors (actually, one was already missing) from the panniers of my ‘12 K1600GT and replaced them with these BMW badges. It was an easy job with a heat gun, a trim removal tool, Goo B Gone and a razor blade. I’m happy with the outcome!
    Night_Wolf and Mr Head like this.
  20. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    Back in the day I put red reflectors where the BMW rondels would have been on my BMW bags that took up residence on my CB650.

[​IMG]