What did you do IN your Garage today?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JimVonBaden, Dec 17, 2012.

1. discochris

discochris Stayin' Alive

Oddometer:
    Sometimes the Twin Cities, Sometimes NW Wisconsin
    Ripped out some strange ceiling mounted storage platform that a previous "handyman" owner had put in the garage. I've hated it for the almost nine years we've been in this house, and finally decided to take the sawzall to it. Makes the garage feel so much bigger (and will prepare for new lighting). You wouldn't believe the amount of "handyman" crap I've had to undo in this money pit...
  2. AteamNM

AteamNM Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer:
    I dismantled a bicycle trials course and hauling pallets and stuff to the dump. A few more trips will be required. 20191009_122940.jpg
  3. discochris

discochris Stayin' Alive

Oddometer:
    Sometimes the Twin Cities, Sometimes NW Wisconsin
    Nice truck!
  4. Tall Man

Tall Man Priest, Temple of Syrinx

Oddometer:
    To date, I've used the same M.O. to camouflage a scooter and a snowblower. Mrs. TM parks the SUV on her side of the garage, and goes in the house without delay, every day. I probably could have left the old bedsheets off of each, and she still might have missed seeing the snowblower (at least).

Now, if even a single Dixie cup is out of place in the house, she'll notice it. And tell me that she noticed it. :bluduh
  5. DeepBarney

DeepBarney International Bumbler

Oddometer:
    Seconded! :tb
  6. mikejjmay

mikejjmay Long timer

Oddometer:
    Third - man i wish we could find F-series of that vintage that aren't all rusted to hell up here
  7. Black Hills

Black Hills Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do this with new dirtbikes, it has never worked......the last one she caught me in the drive way:
    What ya doing
    nuthin
    new bike
    umm.....ah... just washed the old one?
    I'm not that dumb
    that's unfortunate
    you can make it up to me later
    Cool!!
  8. RC Pilot

RC Pilot Shut up and fly!

Oddometer:
    So you took a trip to the jewelers later? :D
  9. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    New (used, pressure tested) oil cooler purchased for $225. installed today. Fixed! Now to repair my lane!
    sieg, SmittyBlackstone and DeepBarney like this.
  10. armith

armith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I resemble that remark.. I try to drive this home with my wife that I don't do handyman work because I don't want to upset the next owner with my superior Red Green efforts.
  11. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    My missus understands n+1 and she’s ok with it:D
  12. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Making a custom mid pipe for the SCR950. Cut a hole, welded on an o2 sensor bung, and swagged the end of the tube with my slick hydraulic solution.

D80F6E98-A1AA-4E24-AE47-3DD3B4F0152E.jpeg E4AB01AF-92AF-44F9-A8A8-0210E2457139.jpeg
    Charles.
    Ironforge, Mr Head, HapHazard and 3 others like this.
  13. AteamNM

AteamNM Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer:
    96 Powerstroke in New Mexico. Zero rust . 206,000 miles, Banks chip and downpipe. Unmolested. Never wrecked, original paint. Thanks for the compliment!

Last load to the dump today. 20191010_140951.jpg
  14. X5-

X5- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had my father in law’s ‘96 two door for a while. Same deal, no rust, ran like a champ, great truck, wished I still had it!
    AteamNM likes this.
  15. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Same with The_Filly; went to the local Honda Powersports dealer to buy the CB500X with a young buddy who was buying his 1st bike ( I had the 06 1400 Intruder & 07 Wee Strom at the time) & told my young friend that I was going to text The_Filly to let her know I was buying the bike. I then told him that her reply would be "I thought that you were going to wait for me to go with you" Less than 2 minutes later that exact reply arrived & my buddy just laughed.

The Wee Strom was sold a cpl yrs ago so I had the 1400 & the CB 500X & when the new Grom was released I went & picked one up (2017 model in October of 2016), with nary a word of complaint from her. Last year she took Rider Training & basically absconded with MY Grom. We talked about grabbing another one, for me near the end of the year, when dealers would be "hungry" for a sale. As it happened I was off when the local Honda dealer had their Demo Day on & in I went. I wanted to try a Goldwing (a bike she refuses to even sit on) While at the dealer I spot a 2018 Grom & asked the young salesman what the price was. When he said that I could probably get it out the door for $4000, I told him if he was serious to draw up the paperwork. Probably the easiest sale he ever made & she didn't bat an eye. Now that Moto Guzzi has released the V85 TT, it will replace the CB 500X in my garage next spring. She knows that I have been wanting a shaft driven, ADV styled bike, in that size for a lot of years & has no problems if I buy one
  16. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    DeepBarney likes this.
  17. C Squared

C Squared Now with TURBO! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 97 like that. It is in my shop with front fenders off and radiator support coming off. New metal is waiting on the floor. Wheel wells are cit out of the bed also getting new metal. Bottom of 1 door....
    That is what I am doing in my garage for many days...
    AteamNM, HapHazard and Richarde1605 like this.
  18. A_Vasiliev

A_Vasiliev Red, white and blue.

Oddometer:
    Snagged some real old school tools.

[​IMG]
    rkover1, DRZ RIDER, local1 and 3 others like this.
  19. JGNC

JGNC Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok, I don't know what those are.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  20. MedicAndy

MedicAndy It's not always easy being me!

Oddometer:
    I finally have a three day weekend, so I decided to work on a long overdue project. I have too many bikes, so I'm working on downsizing a little. One of my projects is to install a European trapezoid headlight / fairing onto one of my US rectangular headlight bikes. I bought two years ago a 1996 11k miles silver MG 1100 Sport, and bought another 32k miles red 1100 Sport about three month ago. One of those bikes will be sold, so I decided to keep the best parts from the 32k miles bike and install those onto the 11k bike. I also had a spare set of wheels powder coated in gold, which I'm also going to install on the 11k miles bike. So besides the golden wheels, I will need to install on the 11k miles bike the trapezoid headlight and front fairing, switch the Staintune full exhaust between both bikes, switch the stock carbs from the 11k miles bike with the 41mm Keihin FCR's that are currently on the 32k miles bike, and switch out all painted body parts like the fuel tank and fenders.

All in all, it seems pretty straight forwards of what needs to be done, which was straight forward in my thoughts only. I discovered while stripping the bikes down that the instrument cluster and the headlight on the 32k mile bike are damaged, the front fairing's mounting bracket on the 11k miles bike is bent, the throttle cables between the two bikes do not match, I will need to switch the handlebar grips between the bikes (the 32k miles bike has newer handlebars grips, which are needed to keep the 41mm Keihin carbs throttle cables), some electrical connections had been cut off on the 11k miles bike (why??? I don't know), the black wheels from the 11k miles bike with the almost new tires need to be installed onto the 32k miles bike since those wheels are in need for new powder coating and new tires. The new golden wheels will then need to get installed onto the 11k miles bike.

This project, which I estimated originally to take me around eight hours is turning quickly into a forty hour project, which means that I will be done with those bikes sometime in December..........

I'm going to get me a good nights sleep tonight and then re-think this project over a cup of coffee in the morning. I may just decide to keep the 32k miles bike, install the golden wheels and the trapezoid fairing and sell the silver 11k miles bike, and then call it the day.

Decisions, decisions..... It's not always easy being me!

This is the currently stock 1996 11k miles 1100 Sport which I'm trying to keep. This bike will be the recipient of the Staintune exhaust, the 41mm Keihin FCR's, golden wheels, and all red painted body pieces from the other 1100 sport.
    fullsizeoutput_200f5.jpeg

This 1996 32k miles bike will be the recipient of the silver bikes stock parts and silver painted body pieces.
    fullsizeoutput_21bdc.jpeg

This is what I started off with this morning
    fullsizeoutput_21f2d.jpeg

Stripped both bikes painted parts off and installed the new golden wheels onto the 11k miles bike, and the original 11k miles bikes wheels onto the 32k mile bike.
    fullsizeoutput_21f2a.jpeg

I rebuild the wheels this morning with new wheel bearings. The front rotors are Brembo full floating iron racing rotors. I will need to buy some golden paint to hide the wheel balancing weights.
    fullsizeoutput_21efa.jpeg

This is the European style trapezoid front fairing that I'm going to install onto the 11k miles bike.
    IMG_3653.JPG

The 41mm Keihin FCR's that I need to switch between the bikes
    fullsizeoutput_21afd.jpeg

This was around lunchtime today
    fullsizeoutput_21ee4.jpeg

And this is where I left them all naked late this afternoon.
    fullsizeoutput_21f0a.jpeg

Let's see what tomorrow brings! :)
    Ironforge, CA_Strom, Mr Head and 6 others like this.