What did you do IN your Garage today?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JimVonBaden, Dec 17, 2012.

1. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is a COSMIC tail storage area on the PC! Could we get a close up pic of that, por favor? How many liters is that? Is there additional storage in the red bump behind the back rest? How do you get the rear tire off? I guess I have never really looked at a PC. TIA
    doc moses likes this.
  2. A_Vasiliev

A_Vasiliev Red, white and blue.

Oddometer:
    Some USSR-made micrometers (non-Vernier, sadly). The 0-25mm is from 1968 while the 25-50 and 50-75 are from 1980 and 1986.
  3. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    A question for the masses. I’ve recently moved to a place with an attached garage. It’s insulated and dry walled. Living area above the garage and another garage on one wall. One wall is an exterior wall and of course the door.

I can’t install a natural gas heater due to HOA rules (which is fine, they shovel the snow)

I’m pondering having a 220 line run to install a box heater, but do will I actually need it? Anyone have any experience with this type of set up and using a regular electric heater when you want to work out there in the cooler months?

I am in Canada so it gets damned cold here, but on those days o don’t think I’ll be out there anyway.
  4. roger123

roger123 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a similar layout to yours and I use a free standing kerosine heater. I run it a bit before I go out there and then shut it off while I’m working, stays toasty for quite some time.

It also doubles as my backup emergency heat source if the power goes out. We’re in SE VA though so your mileage may vary in Canada!

rob1313 likes this.
  5. MightyChosen1

MightyChosen1 I wanna be sedated

Oddometer:

I installed one of those in a friends garage a few years back . Cant remember the wattage but its probably 5000 or so.

Heats just the shop area of around 12' x 30' pretty well as long as you don't open the garage door . He also has a propane furnace as well , In colder temps uses it to take the chill off and then switches to electric.

I have thought about putting one in my garage but if I do I will go with a portable 240volt unit with a cord long enough that I can just move to the area I am working . My 80, 000 btu overhead furnace works great, its overkill for my 26x32 garage , but the floor is damn cold and it would be nice to warm it a bit when working on a vehicle.
    rob1313 likes this.
  6. old scoot

old scoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are going to spend time in the garage in the winter you will need a heater. Kerosene stinks, smokes, and could be a fire hazard if there are fumes about. I have an electric heater hung from the ceiling that has a thermostat on the heater. If I'm going to be working in the garage when it's cold out I turn the heater on about 15 minutes before I'm going out, then it's nice and toasty. The heater was a couple hundred bucks at Grainger and I ran 220 to it and hung it. I think that is the only way to go for the garage simply because you don't have an open flame, I do sometimes paint and there is always flammable materials around.
    sieg and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  7. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    Yesterday was put together the new toolbox. Today was fill it up. I'm missing a lot of tools!
    Today was also rear pads on my daughter's Subaru. 1570888045030.jpg KIMG1183.JPG
    X5- and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  8. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Canada when? That’s a pretty big territory with a vast variety of climates, not all of them particularly cold in winter. You could narrow it down for the audience. Have you looked at mini splits for heat?
  9. Cycle61

Cycle61 making it up as I go Supporter

Oddometer:
    Finished up a quick copy of a ski rack I saw reviewed on YouTube, made of 3/4" Baltic birch plywood and totally adjustable on a French cleat style hanger. Had some issues with the cheap jigsaw I used to cut the pattern and it's a bit wavy in a few places, but the skis don't seem to mind.

IMG_20191008_212304.jpg
  10. armith

armith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got soaked for $95 to change rear pads on my Outback.. stupid electronic ebrake apparently has to be put into a maintenance mode in the computer to be able to reset the actuators. Read it can be done without it but one must be careful. As my daily primary driver and ther was not much meat left on the pads. Wasnt feeling gutsy enough risk it. Was not happy that a simple pad swap would require special tools to compress the caliper (which i have) but also a subaru scantool.. was even more unhappy for the hour labor for what should have been 20 minutes of work.

Oh well, got 103k miles out of the first pads, lets hope i dont have to do it again for another 103k. Always felt it was weird how modern subies all seem to be hard on rear brakes. Both of my Outbacks and all 3 of my wifes impreza leases had worse rear brake wear than the front.
    local1 and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  11. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are just occasionally working in the garage, I'd hang a thermometer or two in the garage and just monitor the temperature this winter. There will be some heat leaking in through the insulated walls - in our warmer climate my well-insulated garage has never dropped below 5º C, even with -20º C temps. Pre-heat the garage with a regular heater out there for a couple hours before any really essential work. Parking a car inside with a warm engine can raise the temp by 5º for a couple hours, if you still have room to work. You may find that 10-12º C is adequate for working comfort. Reconsider your options next year when you have a better idea of your needs.
    rob1313 likes this.
  12. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:

When we lived in Colorado, my garage got cold in winter. I used an electric oil-filled heater with a half inch thick plate of scrap 6061-T6 aluminum on the top for my coffee cup.
    Worked great. Even better once I insulated and sheet rocked the walls and ceiling. I had a 30 amp circuit run out there for that and dad's motorhome in the summer.
  13. Wingboy

Wingboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bought a set of 12 4ft led Barrina lights for the garage from Amazon. Best $120 i have spent in a long time.
    20191004_092812.jpg 20191012_150031.jpg
  14. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    a 220 should do the job when you need a heat boost; you get cold enough in Edmonton to make it worthwhile IMO especially of you want to work on the bikes in the winter. I love having a heated garage & all walls are insulated in mine
    SmittyBlackstone and rob1313 like this.
  15. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's what I use in VA. Works well, and I can leave it on for weeks if needed with no fear of fire.
    SmittyBlackstone and rob1313 like this.
  16. Lapchik

Lapchik Tinkeritis posterboy

Oddometer:
    I use a two-burner bottle top like this: https://www.mrheater.com/30-000-btu-double-tank-top-heater.html

It was -35°F in Minnesota last winter, and I got it up to +29°F in my garage [about 10'x16', no insulation, made with 1"x6" boards for exterior walls]. Not great, but that is a 64° difference after all. Plugged in a 120v 1800 watt space heater and made it to about +38°F.
  17. doc moses

doc moses fearlessly flatulent

Oddometer:
    Good questions, weird bike . Hope the tapes and pics help. Honda wasted the space in that bump behind the seat as nothing can go there. , stats claim somewhere between 40-50 litres of cargo space in the trunk. Two allen head bolts hold/release the tail light, and access to the rear wheel is easy once the tail light is removed . I have 5000 miles on one this summer ( I bought one, my wife bought one, then I bought another) So I am no expert but I can say these few things: The trunk sometimes looks bigger than it is . The plastic side panels/ covers are way easier to take off than it looks ( like super easy.)

And I am an adventure bike guy, a sport bike guy, an old enduro guy... this is my first windshield (not screen, shield) bike... the PC is absolutely a blast to ride in twisties It’s handling defies logic especially for a 600 lbs twin shock machine.

image.jpg
  18. MedicAndy

MedicAndy It's not always easy being me!

Oddometer:
    I worked for another eight hours on my bikes today, and I'm glad that I ended up with finishing both bikes by late this afternoon. I installed the trapezoid headlight and fairing, installed a new Staintune exhaust, an almost new instrument cluster, and new powder coated golden wheels onto my red 1996 Sport. I also serviced the silver 1100 Sport and installed black powder coated wheels, since this bike is getting ready (amongst four to five others) to be listed on eBay next week.

I'm realizing that I'm getting older, and I would like to enjoy riding my bikes versus just working and servicing them. So I'm going to cut the herd down from twelve to seven bikes.

Here is the end result of sixteen hours of my labor during the last two days:

I started this morning with this:
    fullsizeoutput_21f0d.jpeg
    I started off with removing the damaged instrument cluster, the rectangular headlight and fairing assembly before I got going on removing the old exhaust.
    91b5UuLbQ7aww4Z9FhkuHA.jpg

Fast forward by about six hours...... I really like on how this bike turned out. I like how the new golden wheels compliment the bikes red paint and golden decals. The new Staintune header and crossover also blend in nicely. I need to spend maybe four more hours with detailing the engine, and this bike is done.
    fullsizeoutput_21f79.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_21f36.jpeg
    This silver 1996 1100 Sport will be cut from the herd next week. I bought this bike a little over two years ago and I have never took her out for a ride. This bike is fully serviced, but I just don't have the time to ride them all...... I'm planning on selling between four to five of my bikes, so that I will actually get time to ride and enjoy them, versus just to work and service them.
    fullsizeoutput_21f6f.jpeg
  19. discochris

discochris Stayin' Alive

Oddometer:
    Sometimes the Twin Cities, Sometimes NW Wisconsin
    Finally finished (until I get some other hair up my ass to rearrange it again) my latest garage reorg. After tearing out that hanging platform I'd mentioned before, I had to paint the ceiling where it was. Nasty old brown paper sheetrock really sucks up the paint. And of course I bashed a few holes taking it down that had to be patched. Then I decided I should move some cabinets around. And my windows had been covered with pegboard and insulation for a few years, and I decided I wanted some natural light out here again. So I cut the pegboard to expose the windows again. But then I had to paint the old nasty wood windows, and insulate around them. And add some privacy film. And then I found an old package of that 3M insulating film in the garage, so I added that. And because I cut some of the pegboard, and moved the cabinets, I had to rearrange all my tools.

And then I decided to replace all the light tubes in the garage with LED's, so I had to haul the old ones to the recycling center, and took five gallons of motor oil too.

And since I don't have the wall space I did have, I didn't have room for all my Iron Butt Association certificates, so I scanned them all in, and shrunk them down to 5x7, framed the shrunken versions, and put them back up in matching frames.

Then I went to Harbor Freight to see if they had any of those 4' shop lights that were on sale for $19.97. But they were out. So instead I bought one of the Apache (Pelican knockoff) cases to replace the ammo box I'd bolted to my trailer to hold a jack and tire wrench, as it had rusted out, so I installed that.

And somewhere along the line I had to remount my garage speakers of course.

These things do snowball.
  20. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    ^^^ so, what did you do after you had lunch?