What did you do IN your Garage today?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JimVonBaden, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I read all that right before I was planning to go out to the garage to do some work. Made me so tired I had to sit back down and take another nap!

:snore
  2. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    More skid loader work. Tilt cylinder this time. Missing my 1" wrench so I got in a ride to TSC.
    1571057849175.jpg
    SmittyBlackstone and Mr Head like this.
  3. DHC-2

DHC-2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My first reaction to this was "Lake Superior loop in late October?" :vardy

Second reaction was "Maybe I should look into some heated gear...maybe that guy isn't so crazy...

I've never owned heated gear. Was about to ask about it but I'll search the site before I ask dumb questions.

I'm hanging out in the garage doing this because its too cold for a ride...
  4. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    My one piece of advice on heated gear; don't buy the heated vest, get the jacket, as it makes using heated gloves a breeze (my jacket has a plug at the cuff on each arm for the gloves)
    trumpet, longwaypyder, DHC-2 and 2 others like this.
  5. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    Last post reminded me it's time for the tall Cee Bailey windshield. Not ready to dig out the heated jacket plug from under the seat or put on the bar muffs yet though.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  6. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Heated gear. I hated the Gerbing stuff I had, and whatever the later stuff was. It was horrible. But, that was back several years ago. I know they have come a long way.
    When I was in Colorado for the KTM rally, I froze my hands even with heated grips on stun.
    But, it was 26 F and riding at about 50 mph in summer gloves sucked.
    My body was fine inside a KLIM Latitude jacket with Adventure Spec mid-layer, a fancy compression base layer over a t-shirt base layer.
    The last vest I had worked pretty well. AXO brand. The controller was not really designed to be outside in that the sun baked the thing. It was quite a bit better than the earlier Gerbing jacket I had.

Vest:
    [​IMG]

I don't have photos of the jacket anymore. OR at least have no idea where to find them. My issue with it was cold spots. And not in actual real cold, but SoCal cold which is closer to 40's than 20's.
    Maybe there is better stuff out there now?
    I never used heated gloves. Even in Colorado good winter gloves and heated grips seemed to work well. Though I did use some of those chemical hand warmers a few times when I had stupid long cold rides to do.

Since retiring I try real hard to avoid cold.
    Good luck out there.

This looks pretty good:
    https://www.ventureheat.com/motorcycle-heated-gear.html
    DHC-2 and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  7. Wingboy

Wingboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have had this one https://www.ventureheat.com/motorcycle-heated-gear/29-deluxe-motorcycle-heated-jacket-liner.html for a few years now.I have had one other jacket liner and a couple of vests,and this thing knocks it out of the park,i rarely use the high setting and the remote is the bomb!
    DHC-2 and Mr Head like this.
  8. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well.....we've been playing for a week. So I washed the truck, the RV, the sxs trailer, the sxs and the two bikes that were inside the RV.
    20191003_153018.jpg
    Well I washed the truck and RV "in the garage" but the toys were too dirty, I washed them outside.
  9. DHC-2

DHC-2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You really know how to play. :brow
    local1, Night_Wolf and sieg like this.
  10. C Squared

C Squared Now with TURBO! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been working on replacing all the rusted metal on the front of my 97 F350. 20191013_160114.jpg
  11. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you! It took me years to find something I was really good at...……...retirement. :deal
  12. doc moses

doc moses fearlessly flatulent

Oddometer:

I am pretty sure the thought of a lake loop in October is crazy. Especially when people who live a few hours north of me are saying that. I have been checking the temps and weather predictions and the lake loop in late October is pushing the line/inviting disaster/skating on thin ice/living dangerously, etc. I do have heated gear (older Gerbing stuff on sale) and even with that I am rethinking. I am looking at staying in motels and passing the northern mark (Nipigon) mid day to minimize my cold exposure. I have vacation I have to use and an adult kid to visit in Minnesota... regardless, this is looking more and more crazy even to me.
    DHC-2 and Night_Wolf like this.
  13. discochris

discochris Stayin' Alive

Oddometer:
    Sometimes the Twin Cities, Sometimes NW Wisconsin
    Well, to be honest, I forgot to eat all day. Which resulted in getting more than a bit tipsy that evening after a few IPA's...
    tjzondrz and Richarde1605 like this.
  14. Tall Man

Tall Man I'm out in the club and I'm sippin' that bub

Oddometer:
    I attended to five To-Dos on/for the Ural during a marathon depot-level maintenance session.

New premium Heidenau K28 rear (aka "pusher") tire. The comparatively brief service life of the OEM Duro tires made their lower price a false economy. And until you've changed a sidecar-rated tire, by hand, I don't want to hear any complaints. :brow
    [​IMG]

OEM sump skid plate. Having actually ridden my rig in the same off-road conditions as what's evident in the company's marketing photos, I'd say that this accessory should be standard equipment.
    (The sharp eye will notice the removal of the outboard exhaust pipe, which was necessary to install the skid plate.)
    [​IMG]

Heated grips...something that should be standard on all street motorcycles.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hella E-code headlight shell and Auxbeam H4 LED bulb. A proven combination that has the additional advantage of matching the bike's retro aesthetic. To put a bow on things, I refitted the OEM brush guards. They really do deflect a remarkable amount of detritus, particularly when riding in the rain.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A fluids change is due soon, at which time I'll add the winter weight oil fill. Then the bike's cold weather riding configuration will be complete. :thumbup
    (I've a pair of Barkbusters Blizzard handguards in reserve. Their profile fouls the operation of the clutch and brake levers, ever so slightly, when wearing thick winter gloves. So, they'll only be [re]fitted if the mercury really drops. My hedges here are my lithium battery-heated gloves, and the aforementioned heated grips.)
    [​IMG]
  15. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    I did a ride to MN a few years ago and went north of the lakes, in May, and near froze my ass off.
    SmittyBlackstone and doc moses like this.
  16. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    As some have suggested, this may be a very cold trip (it often isn't all that warm in Summer).

I would plan on shorter riding days, and possibly a couple layover days.
  17. doc moses

Oddometer:
    thank you. Your advice is well taken. I posted this idea in Midwest and Canada regions, another person with experience like yours (from living way up there lol) suggested I stay south of the lake, there's enough to see, and there are also exit alternatives there if it gets really bad that don't exist on the north route.
  18. doc moses

Oddometer:
    Playing in our new to us shop this evening. The PC on the lift is a '97 which I hope to do vacation on next week. The one thing I hate about these bikes is the windshield (not windscreen, windshield) which you look through and not over. Since its getting cold though I might put the taller windshield it came with back on. PC Red #2 (right side) is a '98 and its going for its not roadworthy salvage title back to road worthy title inspection tomorrow. The new to us garage (and house) are dreams come true. They need some work, but I finally have a dry heated space to work in. DP0A0287.JPG
    Ironforge, trumpet, local1 and 7 others like this.
  19. DHC-2

DHC-2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new house and garage. Dry and heated is a game changer.
  20. RC Pilot

RC Pilot Shut up and fly!

Oddometer:
    My concern would be less about temps than road conditions.