What did you do IN your Garage today?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JimVonBaden, Dec 17, 2012.

1. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I hear you. That’s a one car garage with 4 bicycles, two kayaks, a motorcycle with luggage and that honking toolbox along with the usual superfluous garage stuff. It’s somewhat organized for what it is.

IMG_3320.jpg
    Mr Head and Jaws like this.
  2. RC Pilot

RC Pilot Shut up and fly!

Oddometer:
    New battery in the Bandit (no pics). Came out from work the other night (25*f) and she barely started. You never really think about batteries until something does not or almost doesn't start. The battery was the one in it when I bought it in Feb of 18. So, I get a new battery; Firepower AGM with 175 cca. When I pull the old one out I see the PO had put an Autozone 120 cca bat in it at some point. He did not ride in the winter so it must have worked fine for him. She cranks quite well with the higher capacity unit installed.

Set up flaps on a Turbo Timber I picked up a couple days ago.
    Mr Head, Night_Wolf and DHC-2 like this.
  3. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I pushed the 990 out and went for fuel and groceries. Once, back to the shed, I fiddled the rebound settings a little. I've ignored the suspension settings for a long time. They were good enough as they were for droning along, but not for fun.
    I had noticed when I rode out to Colorado and back the rebound needed looking after, but was focused on burning miles.
    So, notebook out, checked where I had them. Cranked the rear shock closed then opened back up to my new setting. Same at the front.
    From here I'll move them either 5 or 3 clicks in the direction I figure they need to go, depending on feel. After that two then one.
    The thing about the rear of the KTM is the spring feels very stiff. Or at OEM set up there is far too much compression damping. I'm thinking that is it.
    The mismatch to the forks softer setting make it hard to find a balance for me. I'm still messing with that side of things.
    I've had both ends revalved, the rear specifically for less compression damping.
    All the expert professional wisdom say the springs at both ends are right. That leaves it to damping settings and internal setup.

So, for winter I'll fiddle it a bit.
    What I've done in the past is ride out to the dry lake for a long day of testing and fiddling. Notebook, screwdriver and seat of the pants are the tools.

So, that is it. Both ends have new settings for rebound. I think I'll look at the rear compression today. Maybe do a little test riding on the street. Not really hard to feel since I just ride it over a course of dips and bumps, with a few turns for direction change. No need for elevated speeds, just looking for a firm base.

In a small garage, this means the bike sits outside to have room enough to get my old creaky self down on the ground to get at the rear rebound. Of course up front the compression is on the ground, where I have to lay down on my back to get my bifocals where I can see. :gerg
    :imaposer
  4. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Yes, age sometimes requires new tools like this.

IMAG0878.jpg
    Doesn't help with the eyes but sure does with the back and knees.
  5. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode my Triumph 800XC around the local area for a bit and then changed the oil and filter. I see that I average 1000 miles per year on this bike - not nearly riding enough. I need to step away from my job and into retirement so I can start riding somewhere other then the office.
  6. NorthBayPete

NorthBayPete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    TW200 gas guage! I drilled two holes in my tank and soldered in a couple pieces of 3/16 brake line. Joined them with a piece of clear fuel line and voila. XT350 tank with a fuel sight glass. 011.JPG
  7. unfocused_adventure

unfocused_adventure Not my circus, not my monkeys... Supporter

Oddometer:

Just a suggestion. Unless you know that fuel line wont soften up from the fuels or turn very brittle from the UV, I'd still zip tie 'em for prevention of spit spat and sputter... but i'll hand it to you, good work!
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  8. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know that motor well. Are you doing a piston and rings? Hope you didn't go for Chinese parts, like snow flakes no two are alike.

Attached Files:

SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  9. Lapchik

Lapchik Tinkeritis posterboy

Oddometer:
    Good excuse to buy safety wire pliers!
  10. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    Recalculating... recalculating.... HCMC-Vietnam :)
    Guess what I am doing???

[​IMG]
    NorthBayPete likes this.
  11. SilkMoneyLove

SilkMoneyLove Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the details. Yes on Chinese but no on me ordering. The Dad did that. He also ordered the PW50 set by accident, hence the waiting for the next set.
    My guess is the CN bits will last a year or two, then Cam will be 16 and driving. The 80 will get stuffed to a back corner and forgotten.
    Thanks for the specs though. I have saved them.
    Night_Wolf and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  12. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will buy the take off cylinder and head if it is OEM Yamaha.
  13. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    I give
    VietHorse and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  14. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    Feel free to let us know.
  15. armith

armith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Turning an old bike into a flower planter??
  16. rodrigzj

rodrigzj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finding TDC?
  17. Tall Man

Tall Man I'm out in the club and I'm sippin' that bub

Oddometer:
    Here's one you won't read here every day.

Having paid dearly for a vintage Tecalmit grease gun, it was received in non-working order. Grease of unknown provenance was caked solid inside. The spring mechanism was stuck solid. None of the solvents I dared to use for overnight soaks (and I keep some nasty $hit in stock) made a bit of difference.

I had one last play.

With Mrs. TM away for 3 hours, I boiled some water and carefully inserted the spring pump body therein. Not 30 seconds later, I heard a distinct pop. One minute after that, a ring of brown froth formed along the edge of the pot. The steam took on a familiar scent, also.

Familiar when in the garage. In the kitchen, not so much.

[​IMG]

Sensing success, and knowing there were tracks to cover, I carefully rinsed the pot and lit one of the innumerable scented candles that the Missus keeps on hand.

A quick reassembly and test on the work bench revealed the proper compression. A bit of the old grease, now well-thinned and, uh, greasy, came out easily and in the correct manner.

Yay Me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The little vintage grease gun was purchased as a perfect solution to add lubricant to the zerk on the Ural's main driveshaft. It's almost inaccessible, and standard grease couplers simply don't fit.

Tecalmits were standard tool kit components on [then new] Jaguars and the like.
  18. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    Single pointed a tool to remove the steering head bearings from my BSA M20 frame. 1 1/2-24 thread. Didn't make it fancy, just wanted to get the bearings cups out. Made the thread a little tight to make it as strong as possible as there's only 2 to 3 threads engagement.
    doc moses likes this.
  19. Sidevalve45

Sidevalve45 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I made a wooden sleeve for my battery box on my Harley WL45. The existing sleeve I had was for a small lead acid battery which usually went to hell in two or three years and caused damaging corrosion to the sleeve and my precious original battery box. I've been running a agm battery in my other old bike for four years with good results even though the battery sat on my bench for at least three years before the bike was ready for the road. They will now accept the same agm battery.
  20. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    Recalculating... recalculating.... HCMC-Vietnam :)
    :lol3 :jack

[QUTE="Riteris, post: 38821232, member: 1622"]Feel free to let us know.[/QUOTE]
    :D :-)

:rofl:imaposer
    Hahah, I like that idea, but wait until the bike is parted out :) :) looks like it's gonna be a long time....

Bingo! You are the winner! Yes, a tool which is super easy to find in a tropical country for TDC determination:)
    Great catch! :clap:clap
    SmittyBlackstone, armith and rodrigzj like this.