What did you do IN your Garage today?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JimVonBaden, Dec 17, 2012.

1. racer1735

racer1735 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I received and downloaded an SCT X4 custom tune for my C6 Corvette. I doubt that it added more than a few horsepower, but the throttle response and drivability quotient has increased tremendously. It definitely passes my butt-dyno test for smiles per mileage!
    Richy likes this.
  2. NurseBill

NurseBill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Always wanted to, just didn't have a leaf blower. I couldn't justify buying a new one just for that use but hey.. $10.

Another piece to the puzzle of my Dad's old Equinox. It had a busted up rear bumper.
    IMG_20200714_095600143.jpg

I got a used one in January but it was silver. Just now got around to painting it and putting it on so obviously I was in no real hurry. I had painted the bumper before with off the shelf stuff but the cap does not indicate the color really. I bought rattle cans from Automotive Touch Up online. Sent them the paint code and 2 weeks later I had the paint. I got adhesion promoter, 2 cans of clear and 2 cans of color. I've rattle canned a million things and have painted plenty of cars and motorcycle using a spray gun. I wanted to see how good this would come out. So I followed the directions to the letter. It was plenty hot in my garage and the humidity was low, well about as low as it was going to get here.

Washed the bumper, wet sanded, dried it, wiped it down with wax and oil remover, masked off the black ( I could have done a better job) I used some Duplicolor primer I had left over, sanded it lightly again, tack cloth, and sprayed on the adhesion promotor as it said to.
    The website recommended 2 cans of color for a bumper. I almost had it done in 1 can but I wanted to make sure it was covered. I had around 6 medium coats, alternating patterns with a 5-10 minutes in between and a gentle tack cloth wiping. Went inside and got something to eat as it said wait 30 minutes after color coats for clear. Tack clothed it again then hit it with clear. The directions say "4-5 wet coats" with 10 minutes in between so I did exactly that. I used the whole can of clear.
    IMG_20200714_095613624_MP.jpg
    For a spray can.... I was impressed at how good it actually came out. Before I didn't know if I would do a whole door or hood with spray cans but now I think I would if it was a 15 year old car like this one. It's slightly darker than the original paint but honestly not glaring different. I put the reflectors and plastic step thing back on, wish I would have painted the step. There was so much crap behind the old bumper I hosed it out really good. It took all of 5 minutes to put the new bumper cover on, 2 screws, 2 10mm bolts and a couple plastic pins.
    IMG_20200714_103558192_HDR.jpg

Now it makes me want to pull the rocker trim off and paint it matte black.

IMG_20200714_103610656_HDR.jpg
    I have enough paint and clear left to do a motorcycle tank. You could save a few bucks and only get 1 can of clear and 1 can of color. I have less than $100 in this, including the price of the bumper at the U-Pull-It, pack of sandpaper and a tack cloth. The primer I had but they are $9.

They have motorcycle colors as well https://www.automotivetouchup.com/
    Uke, Suncoaster, Wentwest and 4 others like this.
  3. Tanshanomi

Tanshanomi Your Favorite Uncle Supporter

Oddometer:
    People who can get good results with spray cans get massive respect from me. My attempts always come out looking like crap. It took me about 4–5 tries (and a bunch of soda blasting) just to give one valve cover a smooth, semi-gloss finish.
    NurseBill and rokon140 like this.
  4. YesRush

YesRush Long timer

Oddometer:
    Press was a mess when I bought it.Tore it down .Put new bearings in it.Prepped it for paint.Late 60’s Powermatic 1150.
    [​IMG]
    Uke, svtride, NurseBill and 8 others like this.
  5. YesRush

YesRush Long timer

Oddometer:
    It took awhile.lol
    [​IMG]
    SAH, Uke, mf13368 and 7 others like this.
  6. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice cleanup job! Those older machines are often built much better than the new stuff and worth restoring. Same with some of the Bridgeport machines provided that they have not worn past the point of economical repair.
    Uke, NurseBill and YesRush like this.
  7. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Only a matter of time.

Oddometer:
    Under cabinet ballast failed again in the kitchen.

Off to Home Depot. Went for the LED's this time. $52 dollars?? :eek7

24" fixture hard wired and installed. Should last forever.
    Uke and Mr Head like this.
  8. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    In the old house we had fluorescents above the cabinets. A ballast failed. I bought a cheap light and spliced in the ballast because I couldn’t buy the damned replacement.
    Oh, that was a week before the place went on the market.
  9. HapHazard

HapHazard Waiting for Gudenov

Oddometer:
    Home Depot has a high opinion of even their cheap quality lighting.
    I had bought compact fluorescent (remember them?) "Hampton Bay" puck lights when we re-modeled our kitchen 10 years ago.
    The ucabs were dying, and it was time. The compact fluorescent bulbs got hot, lasted about a year and cost 5 bucks a pop.
    After about 6 years, HD stopped carrying the bulbs, but I found LED bulbs on Amazon that fit the fixtures - 5 for $12.
    We go to a local lighting store when replacing fixtures now. The choice and quality are much better, and the price really ain't that different.
    Uke, Night_Wolf and NurseBill like this.
  10. NurseBill

NurseBill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Besides surface prep, I find the better the quality of spray paint, the better it comes out. I can never ever get good results out of plain old spray enamel cans. The stuff from Duplicolor Perfect Match like from auto parts stores, come out really well. Plus, it is lacquer so it's easy to work with. You always get some orange peel though but at least you can color sand and buff it out. I've done a few bargain find motorcycles with it and it comes out acceptable especially if you throw down a ton of clear. Not as good as a pro paint job.

Man, now I want to go haunt Craigslist and Facebook marketplace for a project bike.....
    HapHazard and Tanshanomi like this.
  11. CA_Strom

CA_Strom Cunning Linguist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Today I pulled my pressure washer out of the shed where it's been sitting unused for 4 years. I'm getting ready to pressure wash/seal pavers around the pool deck. After sitting for four years, I fully expected it to be gummed up and need a carb tear down/cleaning before it fired up. The tank had fuel in it that was protected with Stabil last time I filled it up. To my surprise, the trusty Honda single motor fired up on two pulls!
    DHC-2, NurseBill, mf13368 and 4 others like this.
  12. whodat90

whodat90 Corporal of Industry

Oddometer:
    I cleaned up some of the mess I made the other day, made some hinge shims for a friend's door, and redid the LED lights I put on the front of my Spyder.
    Before:
    [​IMG]Untitled by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr

After:
    [​IMG]Untitled by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr

Has kind of a Groucho Marx thing going now.
  13. Radioaktiv

Radioaktiv Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I picked up a basic endoscope from Amazon this week:

https://www.amazon.com/DEPSTECH-Wat...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Tried it out on a fuel tank from a CB1000r that I am helping a friend get back into running condition. The bike has sat for 5 years under a tarp in his driveway...:bash

Not the greatest scope, but for my purposes and the price, it'll work.

IMG_2372.JPG

Its pretty clear where the level of the fuel was!

IMG_2373.JPG

The fuel pump works - the bike started and ran once we got the old fuel out and some fresh fuel in it. But, yeah... lots of work to do on this tank.

The scope is a fixed focus, but being wireless, its super easy to use with any wireless device. The app makes it super easy to take photos.

I'll probably start a thread on the "resurrection" of this bike. It's a 2011 with only 5800 miles, so it needs to be back on the road!
    NurseBill and Night_Wolf like this.
  14. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very nice

I have a $15 USB one that I have to haul my Chromebook out to use.

Which I need to do now to look for a filter in the tank. Imagine that.
    Radioaktiv likes this.
  15. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    Changed the fluid in the transfer case on my 2008 Landcruiser. Was not a bad job. Had to pull off a couple of small skid plates to access the drain and fill plugs.
  16. local1

local1 Long timer

Oddometer:

That looks alot like my old Clausen, it also doesn't have a rack for raising and lowering
    The table.
  17. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    I like having a small tank bag, but am not a fan of the strap style. On my CB 500X and the Previous Wee Strom I had a small Cortech bag that I really liked that was magnetic. Unfortunately that doesn't work on the V85 :patch

I have the Kappa version of the GIVI TankLock mount installed on the V85, & was planning on using a GIVI TankLock bag that I had purchased for the GROM, but not really happy with the size or the style :hmmmmm

Tonight I took apart the GIVI bag, cut the flaps off the Cortech bag & removed 2 of the magnets from the bottom of the case. I then proceeded to mount the TankLock ring to the bottom of the Cortech bag. I'll have to remove it to fill the gas tank, but I have to do that on the GROMs, so not a big deal

IMG_20200715_233819821.jpg

TankLock ring mounted to Cortech base

IMG_20200715_233828606.jpg

No it doesn't touch the bike

IMG_20200715_233755028.jpg
    HapHazard likes this.
  18. YesRush

YesRush Long timer

Oddometer:
    The lifts were $700 accessory back then.
    local1 likes this.
  19. Zahnarzt

Zahnarzt Crashes Much

Oddometer:
    Packed for a move.

20200715_124220.jpg 20200715_124210.jpg

And then the truck showed up.
    All was well until the monsoon rain hit about 1:30
    And it hit hard.
    20200716_133238.jpg

We got everything packed into the truck and.

20200716_150603.jpg

This sucks...

But hey, I've got crazy neighbors who aren't good with their money. And I borrow this...

IMG_4273.jpg

Other neighbor had a nice logging chain and we were soon unstuck.

I haven't driven a 5 ton in years, but it came back fast.
    Pretty eventful day over all, even if it didn't all happen "in" the garage
    Strong Bad, local1, Tall Man and 15 others like this.
  20. doc moses

doc moses fearlessly flatulent

Oddometer:
    We have been in our new to us 1960 3BR ranch a year now, slowly getting things done we thought we would have done 6 months ago. Here's a room off the garage (garage opens at basement level) after a power wash, floor painted, and old fashioned Thoroseal on the walls. Well a second coat of Thoroseal, it already had one from 1960... Looks like a good place for a reloading room. before basement.jpg after basement.jpg